Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

A book that I think deserves some love in this thread (although it is flawed) is DMZ by Brian Wood. It's set a New York of the future, at the point where the city is the demilitarized zone of a strange and distributed civil war. Matty Roth is a journalist who got dumped there almost by accident (he was photographer for another journalist whose helicopter crashed) and he's come to associate with the DMZ occupants more than with either side in the conflict. At points it's a little too cute for its own good (the issue about the, like, thriving subculture of the DMZ, man, is just loving pretentious), but at points it's brilliant and brutal political drama.

I've really felt that once they hit the Delgado Nation arc, the book fell apart. I'm really no longer interested in whats going on. Hopefully it picks back up, but over the past few months, this book has gone from the top of my read pile to the very bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Still haven't gotten around to reading Unwritten, but I have some very minor complaints about American Vampire.

First, I love Stephen King. I love the Dark Tower series, even the ending. However, I do not appreciate King injecting the Dark Tower into the American Vampire series. Skinner Sweet's story is almost as good as the main book, but the Euro-Vamps referring to their servants as "Humes" just annoyed me. Minor, sure, but it pulled me out of the story.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

I love Stephen King also, but I am so ready for the main story to get more pages every month. Every time it ends I think, dammit, it was just getting interesting. King's stuff isn't bad, it just feels like it isn't that necessary to enjoying the main storyline. He's probably building to some big revelation that we the readers will know about long before Pearl does.

True, but I am honestly curious about how Skinner turns from the outlaw killer we're first introduced to into... whatever the hell he is when he turns Pearl. There's a story there, I just don't want King to turn it from Skinner's story into one of his own stories. Although, along as Skinner stays out of Maine, he should be okay!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, The Unwritten is as good as everyone is saying it is. Does Vertigo release hardcovers or should I just grab the two current trades?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

As of the Gnawing trade, Red Crow is officially outbadassing Dashiel. Probably one of my favorite villains ever. It even feels somehow wrong applying that title to him even with all the awful stuff he does.

It definitely feels wrong to call Red Crow villain. He has legitimate motivations and a fleshed out personality. Reading the book is a war for me, do I want Dash or Red Crow to win? The answer changes issue by issue.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

Image doesn't specialize in adult comics, but offers plenty of great "independent" titles as well including Invincible, Chew, Four Eyes, The Walking Dead and Jonathan Hickman's creator own work, at least until he gets pulled into the Icon line.

Four Eyes is still being published? What issue are they on?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

So, in Unwritten news, does this mean Pullman is Cain? Is that what we're supposed to take away? My knowledge of the story of Cain is limited mostly to Vertigo titles anyway, but the whole immortal schtick and the mark of Cain being a circle in Sandman, as well as his saying that he was one of the oldest stories, based on a mistake in his youth.

If anyone has other ideas, toss em out, but I'm thinking that's our man.

Also, it kind of sets him up as an anti-Tom figure. A man made immortal through stories vs a story given human form.

I think that is what we're supposed to take from that story. I'm not sure what significance Pullman shouting about his right hand always getting destroyed is supposed to mean, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\Thank you. I thought there was something deeper I was missing and it took me a bit to download gimp on my notebook.

The way it's highlighted makes me think that the missing right hand is some sort of clue. It's happened to him before, or since stories cycle, will happen again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

I know about the Israel bits, but where did he make jabs on abortion?

It was when Totenkinder was bragging about her increase in power to Baba Yaga. The sacrifice of the unborn was fueling her.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's coming to a natural seeming end point, at least.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We have an American Vampire thread, pop over there we need more than me and the OP posting there!

As for DMZ, I lost all interest in it during the Parco arc and never picked it back up. It started off great, but lost its steam.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Benny the Snake just made it a few days ago, it's a really good OP, but we need more friends.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I now see where the disagreements are coming from, and I think it puts us at an impasse. Joe is perhaps the worst thing of his I have read, saved only by the art of Sean Murphy.

Speaking of, did anyone read Punk Rock Jesus last week? It started a bit slow and felt disjointed, but by the end of the issue, I was looking forward to where things were going.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Welp, finished up the latest Scalped trade today. I was kind of disappointed with the way it focused a lot on Karnow. I mean, one of the things I absolutely love about the series so far is that all the characters are so unpredictable and cross up your expectations of them and it was kind of nice to see that happen even with a guy like Karnow, but we are clearly in end game territory and we already have so many characters. I found my self getting impatient reading about him. Hell of a cliff hanger though. I trade wait so I don't really know, is this series already over?

Almost, we're dealing with the fallout after the events of the final confrontation.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This last issue was heart wrenching. I'm going to miss this series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think I read three or four issues before I got bored with it and stopped picking it up. The language really isn't too hard to understand.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Renzuko posted:

So, I got a chapter's(book store) gift card, and I was thinking of expanding my bill willingham fables collection, I have up to the current collected tpb, so I was thinking of looking into jack of fables and getting the first collected volume of fairest, has anyone read either of them and can confirm that they are good enough for me to spend money on?

I've just dumped Fables, but I'm still going to be grabbing Fairest. Like Hakkesshu said though, it's really only good if you like Fables.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Someone please get the Fables out of my Unwritten, tia.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

It's a creator-owned series that has gone through a bunch of publishers - Image, Homage, Wildstorm, and now Vertigo. I don't know why Busiek went with Vertigo (well, I guess it's at least partly because Wildstorm no longer exists), but it's really good. This is the first volume I've picked up and I need to go back and read the older stuff.

Ohmigosh, you haven't read any Astro City before? Because this new series is just kind of average from what I've come to expect from Astro City. The Confessor and Tarnished Angel collections are probably the best. You don't have to worry about any sort of continuity issues, so reading the trades in order does not matter. Go and enjoy!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Trillium is interesting, but it's really not my thing. I dropped it after the last issue. At the very least, it's worth checking out because I think this is a story that you will either immediately fall in love with or just not care about.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I really enjoyed it and its one of the mid to top tier Vertigo series. It had a really interesting premise and had some cool twist and turns.

I dropped out of it about half way through. It may read better in trades. The start of the series is great and I guess it ends strong, but I never picked it back up. That said, It's something I may look into again sometime down the road.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

onefish posted:

Holy smokes. Just finished Scalped. Five star comic.

*Occasionally* the art was really dark and muddy and I couldn't easily figure out who a character was or how an action scene was happening exactly--and generally, it was pretty cool. And that was the only minor quibble. I could always follow the story anyway. Which was intense and emotionally involving and honest. And the characters and arcs were just amazing. So good.

Scalped was so emotionally draining. I mean that in the best possible way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Christmas Jones posted:

I'm worried about the state of Vertigo. I know that that's really, really old news by this point, but there's a lot of series I haven't gotten around to reading yet, Scalped, iZombie, Transmetropolitan, Unwritten (maybe, the first trade didn't grab me)... and I'm worried that if I don't pick them up like RIGHT Now then I'll never get the chance, at least in trade form. I just don't have the time or money to binge read/buy. And as Shade proves, if DC considers something old and unprofitable, putting and keeping it in print for artistic reasons isn't really something they care about.

Seriously Shade started awesome, and I look forward to getting the other two trades and finishing it however I can.

The good thing about Vertigo's trade policy and "grown up" subject matter is that you'll have an easy time finding them at a library should they ever go out of print. At least for the more popular series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Trillium losing anyone else? I'm just seeing a bunch of cutesy panel gimmicks around a story between two folks who took drugs and think they're in love, with some poorly fleshed out sci fi thrown in.

Lost me after the second issue.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Anyone else reading Hinterkind? The first two issues didn't grab me all that much, but with the third one, I think the story and background is starting to take root and interest me more.

I'm on the fence. I'm going to see how this first arc ends before deciding if I'll keep reading.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What I was expecting was the first girl, since we had the scene with her calling attation to her ribbon, to have been that urban legend/ horror story of the woman who had been decapitated but was able to remain alive by tying a ribbon around her neck.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A three month interruption in the ongoing story?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally reading Sandman and just finished Season of Mists. Holy poo poo, this is so good. I'm glad I haven't read it until now. I don't think my teenage self would have appreciated it when it was being published.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

God Of Paradise posted:

How's Saga? How is it really? Should I start reading it?

Saga is one of the best books currently being published in both art and writing. Get it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Saga is currently one of my favorite books, but they're taking their sweet-rear end time between trades. :smith:

There's a two-three month break after each story arc so Staples can catch up and we get to keep a single, wonderful artist for the entire book. As far as I know, the new trade comes out a week or two the next arc starts in singles so people can catch up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Huge Unwritten sale on Comixology. I assume that book is good, since it's the pretty much only Vertigo title people still talk about in this thread? Should I get it even if I think Harry Potter is a bunch of horseshit?

If the sale includes the recent Fables crossover, skip those issues.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I read the first one. I won't be reading any more.

I enjoyed the first issue, haven't gotten to the second, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finished reading Lucifer for the first time yesterday. Holy poo poo, I think I enjoyed it even more than Sandman, another great book that I waited too long to read. What I loved the most was how Lucifer's selfishness was never played down in order to make him a "good guy".

• Locked thread