Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is anyone else reading Punk Rock Jesus? I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read the first trade of Scalped and wasn't at all interested in reading more. Meanwhile, I really like Aaron's work on Wolverine & The X-Men and now Thor.

But yeah, opinions and all that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

onefish posted:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but -- if I don't currently own any Sandman, would the Omnibus be a good buy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401241883/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Basically, will a DC/Vertigo HC of ~1000 pages fall apart? Reading will be reasonably careful and occasional, but that's a BIG book.

How many goddamned formats is DC going to release Sandman in?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Len posted:

How many formats will they make money in? That + 1.
The actual correct answer is "all of them."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Taters posted:

It's now a DC title I think. It was good.
It's being published by Vertigo. And yes, it was great and I've never read any Astro City before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

J.H. Williams III says the colors are off in that article. He posted the proper version on his blog.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

The "proper" version looks identical to me. What should I be seeing?

J.H. Williams III posted:

At last the title of the new Sandman series has been revealed! And here is first cover image for the series. This is the same piece that was run for today’s NY Times article but a better view. You’ll note the difference in color versus the article version. For some reason the image shown for the Times article looks grey, or dulled, or darkened. So I wanted to show it here with a clarification on the color. In both virgin and text design versions…
Kull the Conqueror changed his post after I posted that.

But put them side by side...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a creator-owned series that has gone through a bunch of publishers - Image, Homage, Wildstorm, and now Vertigo. I don't know why Busiek went with Vertigo (well, I guess it's at least partly because Wildstorm no longer exists), but it's really good. This is the first volume I've picked up and I need to go back and read the older stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This has been circulating since forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

krakagar posted:

I'm pretty excited about Fables ending so I can finally stop buying it.
You realize there's a much easier solution to this you could have implemented years ago, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Buckingham is to mouths like Liefeld is to feet. Like they just weirdly disappear sometimes and whenever they're shown they're just loving weird.

Like what is going on here?
Wolverine was forced to choose between having a nose and having a mouth and went with the former.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ronya posted:

Lucifer, Mazikeen, the Lux nightclub, Duma and Remiel and such appeared as part of the Sandman IP. Who owns the story elements written solely by Mike Carey?
DC. Carey might have some portion of it, but I kinda doubt it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonna nab Ex Machina and The Losers and maybe Sweet Tooth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think bobkatt really hit the hail on the head. If you're a reasonably well-regarded creator and have an idea for a new series, what does Vertigo have to offer that Image doesn't? We know how Image's deals with creators work, and the terms are very much favorable to the creators. I don't think Vertigo's are quite as known, but I imagine DC is maintaining a bit (or a lot) more control than Image does in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's basically no reason to take a creator-owned book to Vertigo if Image will take you, especially if you're even remotely well-known. Image has equal distribution and likely better marketing.

• Locked thread