Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I haven't been much of a fan of the more recent Vertigo releases, but I have a lot of the earlier releases from the imprint. Of course, Doom Patrol, Sandman and Animal Man are the graddaddies of the imprint, but there were a lot of other smaller series that were excellent.

Sandman: Mystery Theatre is grossly overlooked in my opinion. It follows the adventures of the first masked superhero in DC, The Sandman, Wesley Dodds, as he goes up against pulp-era villains, mobsters and serial killers. The series was broken down into 4-issue plots and the art is a nice mix of murky and sharp. The feel of the book is like nothing else I've seen.

Jonah Hex: He had at least two mini-series in the early days, both a mix of the noir Western style he's known for, plus a steampunk/Lovecraftian feel to them. Riders of the Worm was very, very good and very creepy.

Sebastian O: A three-issue mini-series focusing on a Victorian fop with murderous and salacious tastes.

Scarab: A Vertigo style telling of a super-hero tale, one where a human being becomes a huge, grotesque man-beetle to fight crime.

Enigma: Surreal tale of a seemingly omnipotent and amoral super hero named Enigma and his strange relationship with a 20 year old TV repairman.

Black Orchid: Creepy, surreal tale of a woman that's half human and half flora. Kind of had a Swamp Thing feel to it.

Kid Eternity: a man-boy who had his eyes gouged out has the ability to summon anyone from history by saying the word "Eternity". The comic has a feel similar to the Invisibles, with history jumping being common. Kid Eternity is also determined to relive his lost childhood, thus the man-boy part of the story.

Skin Graft: A retelling of the origin of The Tattooed Man, a Green Lantern villain, with an occult background.

I remember a Brother Power one-shot that was really good too, painting Brother Power like a Swamp Thing type entity, but attached to dolls instead of the Earth. It had a very 60s style vibe to it.

And, there's also the Invisibles, which has already been written about in great detail. There's not much I can add to it other than, read it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread