Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Madame Xanadu! Excellent series.

edit: From the Amazon product descrition of the first trade

quote:

She has known many identities: a Celtic enchantress, oracle in the court of Kublai Kahn, advisor to Marie Antoinette and fortune-teller in present day New York. Her name is Madame Xanadu - and magic is her business! This haunting gothic romance interweaves elements of history and mythology, revisiting famous legends and stories through Madame Xanadu's personal history - and her odd connection to the mysterious Phantom Stranger. Who is she? How did she get her name? Why is she connected to so many of history's most important figures? Find out within! Award-winning writer Matt Wagner ("Mage", "Grendel") is joined by young artist Amy Reeder Hadley ("Fool's Gold") for this unforgettable tale! Warning: Adults Only!

I can't recommend this series highly enough. The first trade jumps around in history and contains three (or four - I can't recall) stories that act as an introduction to the character. It's also nicely tied in to the history of the magical characters of the DCU proper.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't want to derail the Vertigo thread, but I have blogged extensively about my comic binding experiences and covered all the frequently asked questions:

Just a quickie... isn't it annoying to stil have to have the odd advertisement still in there because it's on the other side of a "story" page?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Thanks for that. I have been considering getting some stuff bound but the ads thing might bug me a bit too much. I am a petty little bugger with things like that.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

Swamp Thing is one I've been meaning to read but it's a bit of an arse to find collected

The Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing is being collected in a series of hardcovers. So far only the first two volumes have been released but both should be readily available.

And I agree, Shade was so good.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

FoneBone posted:

So DiDio nixed a China Miéville-written Swamp Thing run in favor of a new DCU book. Ugh.

I'd rather see a new DCU Swamp Thing than have Mieville spreading his "see how loving left-wing I am!!!!" attitude all over it.

He's done a couple of decent short stories but is hugely over-rated.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

How can you all forget Black Orchid? Well, very easily as I've only just remembered the godawful Vertigo book from back in the day...

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also, I wonder how the DC property reclamation will effect the Madame Xanadu ongoing... she's technically DC right, even if they stopped caring about her? There are solicitations for her series up through October, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

They've already said it's being cancelled. It could be a mutual thing as Wagner only intended to write it for about a year and Hadley's moving on to other things. Hopefully it'll get picked up in the DCU proper, it is practically a DCU book in all but name anyway.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 28, 2010

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I have a better question. Why aren't they finishing Delano's run? Why aren't the releasing the rest of Ennis's run? Where are the Jenkin trades? They really need to rerelease the out of print trades, one shots and fill ins that are not released like the Aaron New Castle story.

Vertigo are starting to reprint Hellblazer from the beginning. I think the first trade's out early next year. Hopefully they'll carry them on at least through the Jenkins run.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

JackDarko posted:

So how quickly do Vertigo trades usually get solicited? Just wondering for American Vampire since an arc just ended.

Usually very, very quickly. Unless it's Seaguy volume 2. Which needs to come out soon!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

JackDarko posted:

Thanks a lot mate. Im pretty confused when it comes to Seaguy first trade is out of print second one hasnt been solicited, I know its ment to be a three volume tale. You think they're holding out for a one collection type deal?

Maybe, possibly, who knows? An Absolute or a Deluxe would be nice but I'd still have thought they'd release the trades seperately first.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

UncleMonkey posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Milligan does with Justice League Dark. I like the concept of the book, and his run on Hellblazer has been very solid, I think.

On the flip-side, his in-Universe stuff, including that recent Flashpoint Shade thingy, has been pretty much garbage.

I can't think of a writer more "on-or-off" than Pete Milligan. When he's got carte blanche he can write the most brilliant books (Shade, Enigma, X-Force / Statix, Hellblazer) but when he's got to tie-in to... pretty much anything, he drops the ball big time (X-Men, Infinity Inc)

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure about Shade, but since Hellblazer, Sandman, and Swamp Thing all made appearances in the main universe and since Morpheus appeared in Green Arrow and Sandman Mystery Theater.

Shade's an old Ditko character. He definitely was main DCU. And he's recently been in Hellblazer so there's a connection there too.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Hollis posted:

Apparently, I completed missed JLA Dark which apparently has John Constantine in it, which I think will be like 20 or so years since he's been in a DC comic. I think the last thing he was even sort of min was brief appearance in Crisis. I think their still keeping the books seperate.

Yeah they are, JLA Dark Constantine is not Vertigo Constantine. And let's all pray it stays that way.

And DCU Constantine actually came back just before the reboot at the end of Brightest Day.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 2, 2011

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Isn't Milligan writing both versions of John, though? What's he doing differently in the Justice League Dark?

Writing it about 100 times worse than he is the vertigo series.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Jedit posted:

He's at his best when working to a fixed length in a story with no scope for bullshit - read We3 or Joe the Barbarian and you'll see just how good he can be.

See, I think We3 and Joe are weak as far as story goes because they're just so... normal. So traditional.

Personally, I think Morrison is at his best when he's firmly in the Superhero genre and actively exploring it. Probing into its history and cultural impact whilst still managing to tell a compelling story, as he was in Final Crisis and Batman.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

The more I think about it, the more I think they should kill John off in the last issue. Give him a proper ending, be it noble and selfless or just all of his past poo poo finally catching up with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

goldenoreos posted:

They should just follow the lead of FOX's Lucifer and have every Vertigo comic property become a cop book.

Definitely this.

Swamp Thing: Park Ranger, Buddy Baker: Animal Welfare Man, Shade the Undercover Man... poo poo writes itself

• Locked thread