Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Kunzelman posted:

Are there any of these past the first arc that were printed in TPB form?

No, the series was canceled at 16 or 17 before the second TPB could be put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
You won't find one because it was made up entirely for the comic. Paradise Lost was written entirely after Milton went blind well after his traveling days were over. In fact the Villa Diodati wasn't built until over 50 years after Milton's death. It's weird that Carey would make a mistake like that, especially when you realize that the same competition that inspired Shelley to write Frankenstein also saw the creation of Polidori's The Vampyre. Which was the story that birthed the modern ideas of vampirism.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Actually I broke down and picked up all the Unwritten issues and now that I'm caught up I wonder if Carey getting almost all of his facts wrong is intentional. Sort of like a play on how The Faction controls all stories even the ones we assume are historically true. I mean Wilde did not ink-block Kipling first arrive in London in 1905, mainly because Kipling actually came to London 15 years earlier, to instantaneous critical and financial success and in 1905 Wilde had already been dead for 5 years.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

I think it's great if it's your first exposure to Carey. But it's pretty much start to finish with my biggest knock against Carey, his main characters are so awesome, perfect, and clever. It's completely Deathnote style "No! It was me who was standing behind you this entire time!" Lucifer is good enough otherwise to let it go, but with his other stuff like Legacy he laid it on way too thick.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

I did forget about The Unwritten, he does seem mindful of the criticism with that one. I just wish he would research the trivia Tommy spouts off, some of it is just plain wrong.

Good choice on Legacy, by dropping it you missed the issue where Rogue gets psychic powers and without missing a beat goes around solving the problems of everyone on Utopia.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So that's why Death is making a DCU appearance? I guess Sandman will follow as well then. Other than Hellblazer what other characters are still in Vertigo? Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Scarab and Kid Eternity all went back to the DCU. Shade is in HB right now but he could still jump back over when they relaunch Suicide Squad again.

If Sandman and Death count wouldn't that qualify Lucifer and Tim Hunter too?

VVVV Constantine was listed as an exception.

Gassire fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 26, 2010

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

Not really. For me it kind of floundered and lost my interest around the elections arc in late 30's early 40's. There was kind of a small time jump and it didn't really do a very good job or re-rooting you with the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

I finally started picking up Scalped and I love it. I don't normally like the white hats in these kinds of stories but there's something about Falls Down that's just so awesome.

I just wish I could have read it like 5 year sago, when I see Bad Horse or Diesel talking about his Kickapoo heritage I get unrelated songs swimming in my head.

• Locked thread