Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'm a huge fan of Pete Milligans "Shade: the Changing Man", a reinterpretation of an old Ditko character with the characteristic late 80s/early 90s British Invasion spin. The early issues are a little overdramatic but Milligan soon relaxes into it, and once it hit it's stride it was a great quirky book toeing the line of drama, out and out comedy, quirky cleverness and a bit of genuine horror too.

I believe they're FINALLY releasing it as trades (I have the bulk of the series as singles), and it's definitely worth checking out. I really hope they get to the end this time though (it ran to 70 issues I think), as like I said it takes a little while to really hit its stride and the strongest arcs are in the last 2/3 of the run after they ditch or back-burner most of the "metaplot" (if you've read the book you will appreciate the pun)

A nice thing about Vertigo is even when the books don't quite work, it feels like they really care about the WRITING. Even in books like Preacher, which I still like but have grown out of in some respects, It's very plot driven and not just about churning out pretty pictures every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I got my complete run of Sandman Mystery Theatre custom-bound into three beautiful hardcovers. :)

OK, THAT is a really cool idea. How much does custom binding run to?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Just finished re-reading Shade again (bar about half of the first 20 issues, I only have it as singles and my collection is gappy). God I love that comic (the bits I have) so loving much, will be grabbing the trades to fill in the gaps soon. It's criminal that it's not spoken about with the same reverence as Sandman, Preacher or other early Vertigo, I guess it was a bit too loopy to have the mass appeal of those books.

Has Pete Milligan done anything comparable since? his career seems to have gone towards more bits and pieces, minis, and writing runs on long-running books rather than decent full runs of his own stuff

Any more recommendations for something similar? I have Sandman and Preacher, Hellblazer has always been tempting but there's so MUCH of it, Swamp Thing is one I've been meaning to read but it's a bit of an arse to find collected, Animal Man has been well spoken of

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Volume posted:

Is Jill Thompson the one who did the manga version of Death?

Edit: Yes she is. Gonna pass on this one then. Shame too cause Delirium was one of my favorite characters.

But she was also the penciller on Brief Lives, the Sandman arc in which delirium plays her only major role.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Dillons style is definitely a bit samey, but at least it's clear what's going on and each character is consistent. I prefer that to some of the badly drawn mainstream/TV tie in (the latter are the WORST) comics where you really can only tell who's who because they have distinctive costumes.

Is Lucifer worth reading right from the get-go? It has one writer for the whole run which is usually a big plus, does it take him long to hit his stride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wouldn't get too excited about that, the same sort of thing has been announced and cancelled like 15 times for Sandman, it's literally a running joke at The Onion's AV club.

at least with Game of Thrones, HBO has finally demonstrated they're willing to break away from the modern/historical drama thing and try something a bit out there. Though I guess Carnivale was one of those, and that got cancelled 3 seasons early

• Locked thread