Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Am I alone in totally loving the cancelled Un-Men series? I've brought it up in other threads, but so far I haven't seen anybody else talking about it.

Probably not that mindblowing compared to other Vertigo books, but I thought it was just super fun and gross. Reminded me a lot of the kind of books that Dark Horse puts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I like DMZ when the stories don't revolve around Matty too much. I feel like the city itself is a way more interesting character than he is. That's why I liked the Friendly Fire storyline so much and the collection of one-shots.

Also, I seriously wish Kristian Donaldson was the main artist instead of just a guest artist.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Is it worth it getting all 3 trades of Crossing Midnight? I have the first one, but I'm kinda ambivalent about it. Does it wrap up well even though it got canceled?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I've been slowly working my way through Doom Patrol, and I just finished the 4th trade last week. I think it's is shaping up to be my absolute favorite Grant Morrison series.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A specific image completely turned me onto that series, I can't even remember what issue, but one character looks at Lincoln Red Crow sitting down chained to a rotting elk. I don't know why I was so taken with that.

I had the same reaction. That issue was fantastic.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Jinkies! Editors being laid off at Vertigo, which is going to hurt new acquisition of original content. Sad news.

Man, that sucks.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Did they sink a lot of money into the Vertigo Crime book line? I remember there was a lot of buzz for it initially, but then it petered out after the first lukewarm reviews came out.

My local comic book store had to cut the price in half just to get rid of them.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I know this is an old hat, but it kinda sucks that the different author runs on Hellblazer aren't numbered. I got The Gift not knowing that it was the last book on Mike Carey's run and I was hella confused. Still enjoyed it, though.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Speaking of brutal: I need to finish Unknown Soldier. Amazing first trade. Don't know why I didn't keep going with it.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Minor nitpick, but does anyone else think that maybe Aaron is overdoing the part where he has a couple having a conversation where they're thinking the opposite of what they're saying?

It doesn't really bother me that much, but I feel like it takes something away from the first time he used it as a device in the arc about the gambler.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Kaleidoscope posted:

I think he's referring to when Dash & Carol are talking when he sobers up and she finds out she's pregnant and has the abortion

Yeah, it felt kind of odd since previously their relationship has been a show, don't tell kind of a thing.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

So if it's okay to have two versions of John, what's the deal with the announcement that they were pulling all those characters out of Vertigo last year?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I think a lot of people draw the Sopranos comparison because the whole first trade was just a prologue to the actual scalping. It's a lot clearer now that it's about Dashiell's coming to terms with his past and heritage. Most of the really big storylines seem to revolve around pressuring him into facing those things.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I'm really curious about the Azzarello run now. What makes it so bad?

If I've loved everything else he's done including Loveless will I still find it as bad as you guys are making it out to be?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

bairfanx posted:

Ah, Chris Weston. Yeah, his art wasn't too bad, but it really does come down to what you like, I think. Weston has a lot of linework, and if that's you're thing, then I could see the obvious complaint when Gross took over, as he does generally have a cartoony look to things. I don't really see any "wonky" faces, unless you mean the blonde, but I really do feel that's stretching it.

You're the only person I've heard describe Gross's art as something that was so bad as to keep you from reading a series you were enjoying, and it's a shame, because even if you hate the art, the writing on the series is generally quite good.

I always kinda felt that Gross was doing a bad impression of Dean Ormston.

The only thing that's really wrong with his art, though, is that the colorist on Lucifer wasn't that good. His black and white stuff looks way better.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Just finished the Leviathan storyline of Unwritten. If you're waiting for the moment that puts the series up to Lucifer's level of brilliance, this is it.

I wish the series was finished so I could just binge on it in a couple of sittings like I did with Lucifer.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Isn't Milligan writing both versions of John, though? What's he doing differently in the Justice League Dark?

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I didn't enjoy the first volume of American Vampire as much as I thought I would. The art is gorgeous, but the story didn't really blow me away or anything.

I enjoyed Snyder's bits a lot better than King's, though. I guess cause Snyder told his story from Pearl Jones' perspective rather than King who jumped around between Skinner, the vampire hunters, and the old world vampire cabal. Which doesn't really make any sense since one of the vampire hunters were narrating the story.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, it sucks that most comic book sites usually only review the first issue of a series. More retrospectives or run/trade reviews would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I only bought it for Allred. It seems like a thing that would be perfect for teenage girls getting into comics, though. Guess that's what they were hoping for anyway.

• Locked thread