Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'd like to add The Losers, which was written by Andy Diggle and drawn by the single-named Jock. It's very much a high-octane action movie played out on paper, about a Special Forces team who was betrayed by their corrupt CIA handler, framed, and left for dead, and how they go about getting revenge. I always thought The Losers was kind of like "The A-Team for grownups," or possibly "The A-Team done right, without a limited TV budget and mid-'80s TV censors holding back the violence."

Diggle gives you a bunch of action movie archetypes that still seem fresh and fun: the square-jawed leader, the comic relief hacker, the silent, haunted sniper, and the badass-to-the-point-of-terrifying hot chick (among others). While this series was never as deep as Sandman, for example, it was extremely well-paced and a great ride throughout. The entire series was collected in five TPBs, starting with the low-priced Volume 1, Ante Up.

What makes this even more timely is that a Losers movie is due out in May, and it looks like it'll follow the first TPB's storyline very closely. The casting is pretty solid, with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Chris Evans, Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana, and Jason Patric. And strangely enough, a new, updated A-Team movie is ALSO coming out this summer, which will probably have a similar backstory inspired in part by the Losers comics. My money is on The Losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got my complete run of Sandman Mystery Theatre custom-bound into three beautiful hardcovers. :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't want to derail the Vertigo thread, but I have blogged extensively about my comic binding experiences and covered all the frequently asked questions:

http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/07/binding-comic-books-1-justice-league.html
http://bigbadvoodoolou.blogspot.com/2009/10/binding-comic-books-2-starman-sandman.html

In short, it's cheaper than you think, and you won't regret it!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Shameless posted:

Just a quickie... isn't it annoying to stil have to have the odd advertisement still in there because it's on the other side of a "story" page?

It is less than ideal, but at least I tore out all the double-sided ad pages, including the back covers.

• Locked thread