Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Sick_Boy posted:

Lucifer. It's not as good as Sandman

This is debatable, and is almost solely based on how you're defining "good." Sandman is some great work, and there are lots of wonderful things about it, but it's more a collection of stories or poems that vaguely involve Dream/the Dreaming than a narrative. I seem to remember that, when getting into Lucifer, a decent number of the goons felt similarly.

I think that Lucifer, though, does a far better job of giving you an interesting protagonist, while Sandman does a better job of giving you a decent number of interesting supporting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Carey writes a series of mystery/horror novels about an exorcist, named Felix Castor. I like them, but I haven't heard the opinions of anyone else on them really.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I love the poo poo out of those books, but I'm not sure if it's because they are good or if I have a boner for Mike Carey. Like, it's standard "new" fantasy fluff, but it's god damned good fluff.

See, that's what I'm worried about too. I like pretty much everything the guy does, but I get the feeling that the Felix Castor novels are a bit pulpy.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Is it worth it getting all 3 trades of Crossing Midnight? I have the first one, but I'm kinda ambivalent about it. Does it wrap up well even though it got canceled?

If you're ambivalent after the first trade, I'd probably stop. I like the series, and Carey was given enough notice to give some closure, but there's a lot left open. If you aren't a fan from the beginning, I get the feeling that you won't be later on either.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Indeed. While I'm a big fan of Lucifer, The Unwritten is shaping up to be the next big thing at Vertigo.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

BetterTasteThnU posted:

Well Air isn't the next big thing, as it was just canceled apparently.

Seriously? I hadn't picked it up yet, but I'd heard nothing but good things.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

I finally got to read Joe the Barbarian #5, and Grant Morrison can loving eat poo poo and die. gently caress you, Grant, you loving poo poo-sucking motherfucker.

I swear, Jack better still be alive or Morrison can loving go gently caress himself.

gently caress this book. gently caress everything. :(

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with that reaction.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
gently caress me, Vertigo is far too good. I just read Sweettooth and IZombie and have two favorites. Luckily (or not, I guess?) I'm resigning to getting Sweettooth in trades, and perhaps IZombie, just because we're sold out of #1 right now.

It's bad enough that I was getting a triple whammy of awesome with Unwritten, Day Tripper, and B&R, but I'm now going to have random trades full of amazing (who am I kidding, I'll break down and buy the monthlies soon enough)

edit: and Joe is obviously loving amazing.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

Daytripper was brutal this month. What the hell, man? :(

I was a bit confused with The Unwritten, though. So Lizzie Hexam is actually Jane Waxman. Except now, "Jane Waxman" is "onto them" and Lizzie Hexam is literally Lizzie Hexam? I'm sure answers are forthcoming, but I didn't know what to make of that ending. The thing with the "second channel" was really awesome, though.

Presumably it's all about the power of names and characters. If she was originally Jane Waxman, what did they say happened to Jane? For optional metanarrative, how many readers does the Unwritten have and how long have we known her real name was Jane Waxman (I seem to remember it from a few issues back).

One thing's for sure, I'm never disappointed by this drat book, and am always left looking forward to the next

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

The Jane Waxman reveal was only last issue, I believe, when she first spotted the missing person flyer.

Hmm, I don't have a lot to do tonight, maybe it's time for a reread...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Lucifer gives up ruling Hell and opens a night club.

That's all you need to know to start the book. I read Lucifer before Sandman and I don't believe I lost anything.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

The first trade is awful compared to the rest of the series.

Just for a differing opinion, I love the first trade, partially because I'm a fan of the art used in the Sandman Presents: Lucifer mini.

I'll agree that it's not revelatory, but I personally found it more enjoyable than Sandman. I've not yet finished Transmet (picking up the new trades) but I would put it in a very different league than Sandman/Lucifer.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I like it more than Sandman.

This is why I love you.

Gassire posted:

his main characters are so awesome, perfect, and clever.

Have you been reading The Unwritten? I guess Tom's got a little bit of that going for him in the random literature trivia, but he kind of hates that about himself too.

I do feel that there's a certain level of cleverness to his characters' dialog, but I'd be more likely to say that they're flawed and clever than awesome/perfect and clever. Except for Lucifer, of course.

I did stop reading Legacy after the Rogue/Gambit issue though.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 4, 2010

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Gassire posted:

I did forget about The Unwritten, he does seem mindful of the criticism with that one. I just wish he would research the trivia Tommy spouts off, some of it is just plain wrong.

Good choice on Legacy, by dropping it you missed the issue where Rogue gets psychic powers and without missing a beat goes around solving the problems of everyone on Utopia.

The fact that we're noticing the Tommy trivia makes me wonder if it's supposed to be wrong or not. There's a whole lot there in the book that feels like research must have been done for it, and to get other things wrong strikes me as very odd if it's unintentional.

My standard for X-books is that I give up on them when they start to feel stale or boring. I liked Carey's run up until Legacy, then it felt like someone gave him the job of "fix the X-men continuity," and I decided I didn't want to be along for that clusterfuck of a ride.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I stand by it. Lucifer is such a well written character through the entire series. Everything he does has a finely honed purpose and he wastes no energy on unimportant activities. Coupled with a fantastic cast and wonderfully written enemies and you have a brilliant story and I really wish Carey would do a Lucifer mini-series to revisit him.

The one thing that made me really enjoy the ending was that the option to revisit the character is always there.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

redbackground posted:

I really want to be reading Joe, but I've decided to wait on the OSHC and take it in at once, biggie-sized.

I'm double dipping, because I have a Morrison addiction. This is not a "problem" I want cured :colbert:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

gorgeous west posted:

Trying to pace myself with the few trades I've already bought so I don't have to endure too much dead time before my next purchase. A lot of you guys must know that feeling.

When I started reading Lucifer, there was a day that, in the morning (around 10 or 11), I went in to the comic shop and picked up a trade. I think it was 7 or 8. I then, having finished that volume and after weighing it on my mind, went back in to the store before they closed to buy the other one. By the time I was going to bed, I regretted not buying the third trade, knowing I would have gotten that far.

I know that addiction that is Lucifer, but I do not know the restraint you seem to have.

UncleMonkey posted:

Also, The Unwritten continues to be awesome.

And this. A million times this. The reveal shocked me, and it was then that I realized that I was actually emotionally invested in the series. Carey's got another wonderful series on his hands.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 12, 2010

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I've decided to undertake writing annotations for The Unwritten, as the thing is loaded with references. I finished the first issue, and if anyone's interested, have it on a blogspot (along with an article about Animal Man/Morrison/"mature" comics).

In rereading, they sound a little more opinionated than I'd like, but the meat of the first issue is there at least

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

Nice! I've bookmarked it and I'm definitely going to be checking it out. Thanks!

Thank you. Harsh criticism is appreciated, as I'd like them to get better in quality.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I don't know about Madame Xanadu, but I still haven't met someone who really liked Greek Street too much. It's anecdotal evidence, but I really don't know who was buying it (aside from you, obviously)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Fatkraken posted:

Is Lucifer worth reading right from the get-go? It has one writer for the whole run which is usually a big plus, does it take him long to hit his stride?

If you buy the first trade, it comes with the Sandman Presents: Lucifer miniseries as well as the first story arc. I'll agree with Choobs that the first arc is a little slow going, but I actually am a big fan of the miniseries that kicks it off.

There are a fair number of people (or at least goons) that like Lucifer more than Sandman.

As far as hitting his stride, the third trade is probably one of my favorites and brings a lot to the series.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hatter106 posted:

Just finished poring over vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. drat if this isn't the best comic ever.

I always thought Ramadan was the universally praised Sandman issue? Either way, #19 is my favorite, but that's also because it's my favorite Shakespearean work too. I think it gets a decent amount of praise for the art as well.

And if you think Sandman is great, you should totally read..

ChairMaster posted:

Anyways, be ready for multitudes of people to tell you that Lucifer is better than Sandman based on the first bit there.

gently caress.

Really though, somehow a lot of the BSSers just jive with Lucifer a bit better than Sandman. I love them both, but I've read Lucifer more times and find myself enjoying it more every time.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

choobs posted:

"A Midsummer's Night Dream" won the World Fantasy Award and 19 years hence remains the only comic to do so.

I'm well aware. That doesn't make it better, or even regarded as better, considering that after it won, they rewrote the rules so that a comic cannot win the award that Sandman did.

First and only comic winner, now and forever.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

ChairMaster posted:

Wait uh, wikipedia says that they didn't actually change the rules at all and that's just a rumor.

Edge & Christian covered it, and while the way I worded it may sound misleading, it's true that no comic will ever win the best short story award. And from what he said, they certainly haven't seemed very fond of comics since.

rotinaj posted:

Why did they do that?
Presumably because comics<>literature. Considering the amount of crap any kind of genre fiction gets from people, it saddens me that they would do something that dickish based on a medium.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

The choose your own adventure issue of Unwritten is really awesome. One of the most unique things I've seen tried in comics, and it's executed really well.

I'm worried how well that will come across in the trade. I always feel awkward reading trades sideways (like that issue in Morrison's X-men run)

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you think that this restructuring is going to cause some Vertigo titles to be canceled? I really hope that nothing happens to Hellblazer.

I'm pretty sure that Hellblazer's sales would have to be loving abysmal to have anything happen to it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

This week's issue was off the chain some amazing revelations, and a great new arc direction. One of my favorite things about Carey is pacing, guy doesn't miss a beat.

I actually felt like this was one of the weaker issues I'd read, but I think that's just because of how much I loved the choose your own adventure issue.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

That's a really good way of thinking. I wish I had the level of self-control to do that.

It's what I've been doing with King City. Sometimes I forget that I bought the Unwritten and then see it after reading my other comics, at the bottom of the pile. It's always worth the wait.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Asterios posted:

I just picked up Unwritten #18 knowing nothing about the series, read it, and was absolutely blown away. I have no idea why that one guy wants to kill the other guy, or why they're all obsessed with Harry Potter, but the writing was so good that it really doesn't matter - it was just incredibly enjoyable.

So, you do realize that it's not actually Harry Potter, right?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. They promised me Lucifer hardcovers too.

Quitely's already done artwork for the cover (which is why Morrison "didn't announce" that something was being done with Flex at SDCC) and Morrison is one of DC's biggest writers right now.

Wait for The Unwritten to get more of the praise it deserves and we may see the Lucifer hardcovers some day. It wouldn't hurt for Carey to write some mainstream DC too. I'm kind of curious how he feels about the DCU, as I know he's a pretty big X-fan.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

nosophoros posted:

I like The Unwritten quite a bit but this team's art seemed way better to me back in the Lucifer days. Pity.

You might want to go back and take a look at Lucifer again. I felt similarly, at first, but I feel like a lot of the Lucifer art was similar to The Unwritten.

They really need an Eisner at some point, what with all the nominations for Lucifer...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Sick_Boy posted:

This may be a bit of a tangent but while we're praising Mike CareyI might as well mention that his prose novels are pretty good. Not High Literature or anything, but a very compelling and entertaining urban-fantasy-noir setting with interesting characters and stories.

Agreed. For anyone that likes Carey's Hellblazer, the Felix Castor series is worth your time.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

pouge posted:

I just read the first TPB of Lucifer and thought it was fantastic. Does it stay as strong as this through the whole run?

I found my affection for the series dipping on the non-Lucifer centric issues, but otherwise it did just keep getting better, with my favorite single issue of the series being the final one.

edit:
poo poo, that needed a pun in it somewhere

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
This might belong more in derailed, but since Gaiman is pretty much synonymous with Vertigo in the comics world, I figured it would be okay to put it here too: American Gods is getting adapted for an HBO series.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Was Taters posted:

Oh my God, guys, look at this. Unwritten to double-ship monthly starting in November.

I like these guys. I like the way they think, the way they plan, the way they push the edges of the medium just a little bit. Can't wait.

I joked about Carey working more on the Unwritten after I'd heard he was leaving X-men, but I didn't actually think it was true. gently caress yes.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
There really isn't a need to read Sandman before Lucifer, as all you really need to know is that Lucifer gave up the key to hell, which ended up in the hands of a few angels, and now runs a night club in LA.

I read Sandman second with my only question being "how did the angels get in charge if he gave the key to Morpheus."

Do whichever makes you happy, but it really doesn't matter...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Alaemon posted:

I was glad I read Sandman first, because it let me actually appreciate the impact when Death appeared. I wouldn't have known who that was otherwise.

Oh. Yeah. I guess knowing who the Endless are isn't a bad thing either, can't believe I forgot that...

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 24, 2011

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

SynthOrange posted:

I actually read it when it was first pushed out as monthlies. The artwork was amazing, then suddenly went to complete poo poo and I couldnt be bothered continuing with it.

Which was amazing? Because the original Sandman Presents: :Lucifer was great art, but Peter Gross was on, I think, the entire run. If not, it was most of it, and I don't think the man has ever done anything that would justify being called "complete poo poo," but maybe you're not a fan of the cartoonish look to some of it?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Ah, Chris Weston. Yeah, his art wasn't too bad, but it really does come down to what you like, I think. Weston has a lot of linework, and if that's you're thing, then I could see the obvious complaint when Gross took over, as he does generally have a cartoony look to things. I don't really see any "wonky" faces, unless you mean the blonde, but I really do feel that's stretching it.

You're the only person I've heard describe Gross's art as something that was so bad as to keep you from reading a series you were enjoying, and it's a shame, because even if you hate the art, the writing on the series is generally quite good.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

FMguru posted:

Presumably because 1) Fables keeps selling and 2) comics with a steady profitable audience are pretty hard to come by so 3) why not keep publishing Fables until it stops making money.

Because Vertigo generally has a reputation for not doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the first trade comes out quickly and is just a few bucks cheaper than most, too.

For their long-running series, Vertigo usually has a $10 price tag on the first trade.

• Locked thread