Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

strangemusic posted:

So I just read Daytripper for the first time, in trade.

God drat.

That was pretty much my reaction the first time I read it in trade. Really a phenomenal work. The emotional resonance of the work was up there with some of Will Eisner's works. What else should I look into if I wanted something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SpaceMost posted:

When would you say the series starts to go south?

I liked Fables, not loved but it was a really entertaining read. Then the narrative climax occurs (and you will know exactly when this is, but it is in Trade 11 if you want to be specific), but instead of just ending it nice and tidy, it...just keeps going, but without the momentum of the previous story behind it.

In a way, it's sort of like reading an actual storybook to a child, then having the child ask, "And then what?" But instead of just stating that there really is nothing left or providing some clever excuse to walk away, you go on and continue the story, in that sort of meandering way without a clear destination, all for the sake of appealing to your audience. That's what Fables is like right now, and I have no idea why I keep reading it, except out of some obsessive habit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Here's some good new for you, on Amazon they're only $16.60 per volume, which is a pretty great deal, I would think.

Except the first volume, which is over $70 dollars!

The $17 ones are paperbacks. The $70 ones are the absolutes.

I really wish I had the money to drop on getting Absolute Sandman.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I would like to have Shade and Hellblazer in Hardcover instead I had to buy singles and other trades.

I would settle for the rest of the Shade paperbacks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

RevKrule posted:

So what do they have left after that? Fables, Fairest and Unwritten? Some licensed books? Anything else? I know American Vampire is still technically still around but it's on hiatus.

Isn't Sandman supposed to be returning? I dunno how long that would last given Gaiman's schedule and own endeavors, but that's something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Martello posted:

Check out Demo. Really good poo poo, and Becky Cloonan is amazing on pencils.

Is Demo 2 worth reading? I haven't heard it as well praised as Demo 1. Also, did DMZ turn out well?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

OWLS! posted:

I just finished trade 11 of Fables (I think it was 10? End of the War anyways) and holy hell does the story immediately fall apart. They really could have just done the war in maybe three more volumes and then actually do a series closer. As it is no point reading further. Kind of sad really.

But then how would you learn about the circumstances that led them to "cameo" in The Unwritten!?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Is Fairest ending too? Without Willingham writing it's had some decent arcs.

This interview says that Fairest is ending roughly the same time. Is Fairest worth picking up, then? I didn't want to continue Fables's limpness to another book, despite liking the general concept of the series.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not think he would have the balls to have a mass culling of his characters, when they can come back at anytime.

Isn't this how Jack of Fables ended (I have no idea if that deserved spoilertext, but there you go anyway)?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Volume posted:

About the art. I'm sorry to all you Neil Gaiman fans out there but Sandman: Overture is no longer his comic. Gaiman's writing is taking a back seat to the real star of the comic, Williams' art. I haven't been this amazed with art in a comic book since Joe the Barbarian.

I went to one of those Evening With Neil Gaiman things and he did explicitly say that he had to up his writing game to match the quality of Williams' art, so even he's well aware that the art is surpassing his writing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm reading through 100 Bullets right now and after like 40 or so issues, something just isn't clicking for me. I think part of it is that whenever Azzarello tries to do "urban" language, it feels like the sort of thing someone would write for a movie in that it feels very caricaturish. I think "caricaturish" actually characterizes a lot of his dialogue, which makes it hard to take the rest of the crime drama seriously.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I finally finished 100 Bullets and yeah I do not get the hype for it. I think what really bothered me is that it had a hundred issues top develop these characters but nope let's cut these issues with random gangster plots and whatever Echo Memoria's thing was about. I really wanted to know more about the Minutemen and The Trust, since their individual arcs were pretty fun but were mostly spent not being themselves.

And as much as I generally liked the art, the male gaze on all the female characters was too much. Dizzy didn't really have enough of a personality to really convince me why everyone was so smitten with her. She never did anything badass, and after her arc, she spent most of the series following Shepard or Graves or Wylie.

All it really did was make me wish Brubaker wrote more Criminal.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

Which characters did you think weren't developed? I thought most got a complete arc.

Re: Dizzy, race is a huge part of the subtext in the book, and I think the way you describe her treatment matches what they were trying to say about race.

I think the main issue is that a lot of Minutemen stopped developing as characters after they were activated. The only ones that I can think of who actually had any semblance of a character were Cole and Vic, the latter of which is sort of inscrutable but I think that's just his general character. The rest, like Jack and Remi and even Lono, just stopped being anything more than well trained assassins. Wylie I thought could have used a bit more too, since a lot of what he was after activation was Dizzy's guardian. Hell, even Shepard was a whole lot of "tell, not show," since everyone just talked about how awesome he was, but he never actually did anything awesome or otherwise demonstrated why so many of the Minutemen were super loyal to him. I think in the one flashback issue, Graves just flat out said "This kid is smart" without actually really any good reason to, aside from the fact that I guess he got away with murder.

Loop was similar to Dizzy in that he got pushed to the side immediately after his intro arc, and both were especially a waste since it could have been an easy way to introduce the readers to the world of the Trust and Minutemen through them. And from a story perspective, since they're coming in from different ends (Grave's vs. Lono's), it would have been a good way to share personal philosophies and why the characters do what they did, which is something I kept struggling with, especially with the constantly shifting allegiances near the end.

On the antagonist side, I thought that most of the Trust was underdeveloped, which made it difficult to really care about their side of the conflict. Even something like Nagel's or Rhone's issues would have gone a long way to humanize them and make them seem like something besides generic amoral super rich people.

I dunno, but comparing it to something like Y the Last Man or even Fables, and the characters just seem lacking. Even using something as race as subtext doesn't really excuse the fact that doing so makes me not care about the characters.

Edit: This has nothing to do with 100 Bullets, but I might as well put the Constantine trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY

I never read Hellblazer, but this looks pretty terrible. Maybe Hannibal has raised my expectations for a mature show on NBC too much, I dunno.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 15, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is anything worth reading in Vertigo after The Unwritten and Sandman Overture end? I noticed that most of my reading list has shifted to Image and various other publishers, which seem to have taken up the mantle after Vertigo stopped being the place to go for your weird rear end, but cool series.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Corte posted:

I recall loving Fables once upon a time but that was so very long ago, is anyone still reading it and if so do they feel it ever started to improve again at some point?

I really wish I had stopped reading after the Adversary arc ended. I still read it, but I also still watch The Simpsons, so I guess I like to see things through to the end, but if I had the power, I would pull the plug. It's really, really forgettable at its very best.

You also get another Fables crossover event, which was also quite terrible, but it just crossed over with another Fables spinoff, so nothing good was ruined there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I just finished reading Trillium and was pretty disappointed. It had a fun enough premise for a romance, but I felt that the characters spent so much time being confused that they didn't really get a chance to do anything and develop until they just fall in love all of a sudden in what seemed like more a plot contrivance than actual character development. Like, I think Saga's first 8 issues had a better romance between the characters than this did because there was some semblance of chemistry. It probably helps that the characters there actually spend time together, too.

I also didn't think there was much to gain from translating all that goddamn text. Like, it's not like there was actually any more story or anything to uncover after all the effort.

Am I missing something or did Lemire, whose work I normally enjoy, just swing and miss?

Also for some reason I couldn't help but think of Interstellar while reading it (I saw the movie first before reading it), despite not being very similar at all. I'm really not sure why.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Obliterati posted:

Is Fable not any good? I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us but it's my only contact with the series.

It was pretty novel when it started, and I enjoyed it up until it reached its "natural conclusion," but then it went on for like another 100 issues after that and they haven't been very good. Also the not-at-all-subtle right wing sermonizing towards the end.

I still read it though because I have no willpower :negative: Art is still nice, at least.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Since the last volume is coming out soon and I can begin a marathon read, when should I read Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice?

I'm still a bit sad that Crossing Midnight was canceled way too early. Mike Carey playing with Japanese mythology should have been a thing :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm reading the second to last Fables trade because I fail to understand the sunk cost fallacy and wow is it bad. What the hell happened to these characters?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Buckingham is to mouths like Liefeld is to feet. Like they just weirdly disappear sometimes and whenever they're shown they're just loving weird.

Like what is going on here?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Just finished reading Unwritten Fables. What a pointless diversion, both for breaking the pacing of the story (I feel for anyone who had to wait months for that to finish) and both for showing that Fables could actually have been decent if a better writer had a handle on it. It was good to see Mr. Dark actually be evil and do stuff instead of just nyar har haring in his castle and killing a few errant dudes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I finally finished marathoning through Unwritten, and I thought that the pacing in the second half was a lot worse. The jumps were just a lot bigger and inexplicable, and I felt that the introduction of Didge (who really needed to be in it more) and Daniel Armitage (who really did not) just felt like a waste, since they ultimately didn't lead to anything. I guess without that backbone of conspiracy the pacing didn't have something quite as strong to work with, especially without much in the way of an antagonist until the end, but I was hoping for more of a buildup for that final confrontation, so much so that I almost feel that there was a volume missing or something. The Fables volume felt even more of a waste in this regard, since it didn't do a goddamn thing in setting anything up. I'm still not even sure what Rausche's endgame was, and although mostly superfluous, what the deal with Pullman's hand was.

Also, anything involving Wilson in the last issue was pretty heartbreaking.

Overall still a great read, but doesn't quite hit the same high notes as Lucifer or Sandman.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

minimalist posted:

100 Bullets is padded as gently caress. Also, not very good.

100 Bullets is weird in that it is both super padded and yet none of it really gave me a sense of the characters involved.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Read the last volume of Fables. I had so many issues I don't even know where to begin, but holy poo poo did that suck. I'm going to pretend that the Fables story in Unwritten was the actual ending to Fables, since Mr. Dark seducing Snow and her kids is somehow more plausible than some contrived tontine that goes nowhere, among other various plotlines. Like, holy poo poo it was bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

If the concept grabs you, read through the War and Pieces arc. It is a very satisfying conclusion to the initial hook of Fables with barely any dangling threads.

Yeah, if Volume 1 doesn't grab you, stop right there. If a swing from fairy tale urban fantasy noir into epic fantasy isn't your cup of tea, you can probably just read Vol. 1 and be done with it. Then stop reading after issue 75 (it is immediately obvious) because everything afterwards is a confused, directionless mess. Except I liked the idea of Mr. Dark (but oh god that execution), and the Toyland arc was pretty solid.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What should I check out from other labels if I specifically want old school Vertigo comics but new?

Off the top of my head: Saga, Southern Bastards, East of West, Manhattan Projects, Lazarus, Fatale (any Brubaker + Phillips joint, really), Wicked + Divine.

• Locked thread