Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baron Bifford posted:

I read the last issue of Hellblazer and do not understand the final panel. What happened to John?

He died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

No, he was in a pub, looking distressed.

The pub was called the Long Journey's End. He's toast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He was also a huge rear end in a top hat to her after she declined his advances. We don't really have anything to go on but her word but I really don't see why you'd make up a story like that.

I don't really care if Graham is the biggest baby in the world and calls out everyone and their mother on twitter, I don't see in what universe he's worse than a philandering PUA who then goes on to get praised for being a feminist for writing a comic with girls in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Martello posted:

So is everyone just taking Fowler's word for it? I can believe Wood was trying to pick her up at a con, but maybe she's blowing out of proportion for revenge purposes. I dunno, I just think that the twitter accusation stuff has gotten out of hand at this point. Someone tweets something and all of a sudden it's gospel.

Maybe if you looked into it at all instead of trying to justify buying comics from a poo poo dude you'd see there's a mountain of evidence at this point that Wood is a piece of poo poo who creeps on young women in comics and literally drove one out of the medium.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 19, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

How do you all feel abotu Brian Azzerrello's run on Hellblazer? I'm going back through the series from 1 to 300, and I'm just kind of noticing how bizarre his run is.

He writes John like a sociopathic con man version of Sherlock Holmes, a totally unrealistic Bugs Bunny, pranking the worst evils of the world while appearing to revel in them. It's extra confusing because the writer never lets the audience in on Constantine's intentions, and they always remain hidden until the very end.

I can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

I hate it. Some people love it. I hated it so bad that it halted my Hellblazer marathon when I initially read the series, and it took me over a year to force myself to power through the rest of his issues after the prison arc. It was like passing a kidney stone. Easily the worst run the comic's had.

This is maybe the most painful and obnoxious writing I've seen in a comic since Michael Fleischer worked on Conan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You'll have to do a lot worse than heavy-handed criticism of America and capitalism to come close to The Town That hosed Dogs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Town That hosed Dogs arc ruled though.

It ruled the garbage bin kingdom of trash dimension, maybe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

The Boys works if you hate a lot of Superhero tropes and cliches. Otherwise it'll come across as trying too hard.

I don't know, I'd imagine people who hate superhero comics aren't really interested in a comic that just takes superhero stuff and then has someone poop on it and call it gay. I'd wager they'd rather read something good that's devoid of superheroes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Somebody needs to inform Ennis that Americans don't say "bloody" or "arse".

There's seriously a ton of exchanges between supposedly American characters that Ennis has written that don't make any sense whatsoever unless you assume they're secretly british.

I find Ennis to be capable of writing very profound and interesting stuff but his sense of humor is seriously more juvenile than South Park and he has really obnoxious writing tics even beyond the insanely warped view of pubs as some kind of cultural balm, the inability to write people who aren't british, the obsession with equating sexual potency with moral character and power, the repeated and protracted use of sexual deviancy as a way of dehumanizing villains, the over the top gore, and the junior high view of romance and love.

Sometimes I'll read something by Ennis and go "Hell yeah" or kinda laugh or find it poignant. But other times I'll read something like The Boys and kinda wish he'd stop writing forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

And yet Garth Ennis handled a rape scene more delicately and with more class than DC handles basically anything.

Yeah, but if it's a man getting raped, that's comedy gold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

I see why some people dislike him, though I think part of that may be a bit of self-loathing as it reminds them of when they were younger and angrier and it brings back uncomfortable memories of "Ugh I was such a dumbass teenager."

Nah, man, Ellis reminds me of being a dumb teen. Ennis reminds me of the guys in my grade who beat up the skinny kid with Tourette's so bad that he missed a week of school.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What the hell? Seriously, dude, is any writer so bad that you have to equate them with poo poo like this?

"Man, Ennis is such a bad writer, I'll be he wouldn't feel bad at all about beating up people with speech impediments."

I was referring to their work's respective tones, not the content of their characters. Ennis is a mean-rear end writer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not sure I've ever read an Azzarello comic I enjoyed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Was Taters posted:

The first one, if you don't mind it being a little dated - which it is on purpose. I really liked it.

I second this. Most people skip to Ennis' run but I like most everything that precedes it, and it makes the events of Dangerous Habits more impactful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's weird, because for me the stuff that was hard to get through came much later: Azzarello's run was insufferable, to the point that it put me off the series for the better part of a year, until I forced myself to power through. I thought Diggle's run was pretty bad and had a very small-minded approach to the character's history, too.

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if Ellis had been able to stay on as full time writer like he was originally supposed to. This was back when he was at the top of his game, after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Free Breakfast Pancakes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Azzarello and Diggle's issues are by far the worst ones in the entire series. Diggle's is mostly bad because it takes elements introduced by better writers and changes them into a frankly adolescent take on the character and his history. Azzarello's is simply written horrendously.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I once showed a few panels of Azzarello's Hellblazer to a friend, and he didn't believe me that it was real dialogue written by a professional writer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Adam Strange posted:

From a while back, but man my favourite of the Ennis stuff is all drawn by Dillon.

I'm assuming this is a complaint? As in, oh my favorite snack is loaded with sodium?

The alternative is that you like Dillon's art, which is ludicrous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Punisher gonna get 'em.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

Be warned that it starts as a bland retread of I Am Legend before it goes anywhere.

The book, or the movie?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think DC editorial trying its best to get rid of Vertigo as a line is probably the main reason Vertigo is doing poorly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I tried to marathon read the series and Azzarello's run was so loving bad it stopped me cold for like a year.

Andy Diggle's run is also bad in that it goes and retcons some interesting aspects of John's history and makes it a lot more juvenile and 2002-era webcomic-y.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Movie Constantine was different enough from the source material that it was fun and could stand on its own. TV Hellblazer is close enough to the comic version that it's frustrating how much of it is off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Supernatural bit so much from Hellblazer that TV Constantine didn't have a chance.

TV Constantine didn't have to rip off the tone of Supernatural to make it worse, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Len posted:

How different is iZombie from the TV show? I'm watching the show on Netflix and it's a fun enjoyable thing so I'm thinking about checking out the comic.

I'm jumping in front of you in slow motion to save you.

I'm going "Nnnnnooooooooooo"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

I liked it. Its certainly better than the show.

I feel the complete opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm surprised Vertigo still exists. It's really obvious someone high up at DC wants it gone.

• Locked thread