Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

bairfanx posted:

Carey writes a series of mystery/horror novels about an exorcist, named Felix Castor. I like them, but I haven't heard the opinions of anyone else on them really.

I love the poo poo out of those books, but I'm not sure if it's because they are good or if I have a boner for Mike Carey. Like, it's standard "new" fantasy fluff, but it's god damned good fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Got the first Unwritten trade, thanks guys, my Mike Carey obsession just grew again. God drat that man is amazing.

Edit: N.H. comic store had 50% off so I also got the first Scalped trade because of this thread. You guys have pretty great taste. (And finally picked up the last Doom Patrol and Hellblazer: Family Man. How many issues of Delano's run are left uncollected? And the gap in that trade, is that the stuff from Rare Cuts? I have almost all the Hellblazer books but I'm missing that one.)

Bitchin Kitchen fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 25, 2010

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

bobkatt013 posted:

His run is collected up to 32 and his run ended at 40 so there needs to be one more trade. This storyline is all about his twin brother . The missing ones are Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman's that are collected in Rare Cuts and Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days. He also wrote the original graphic novel Pandemonium

Thanks for the info! I absolutely love Hellblazer, I think it's my favorite regular comic. Recently read Midnight Days from the library and completely forgot about that story. Looks like I have a few more things now to save up for.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Asterios posted:

I actually was just complaining about the same thing to a friend - I wanted to buy some hellblazer trades, had no idea where to start, and just didn't buy anything.

I super, super hate to hear that, it's my favorite comic. My advice is to just do it by writer. Delano starts with Original Sin, it's the first run. Ennis starts with Dangerous Habits. Ellis, Haunted. Azzarello, Hard Time. Carey, Red Sepulcher. Mina, Empathy is the Enemy. Diggle, Joyride. Milligan, Scab.

Bitchin Kitchen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 19, 2010

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

If someone is interested in getting the trades, do yourself a favour and skip Mina's run unless you absolutely want to own everything. It is horrible and drat near put me off of Hellblazer.

Haha, yeah, that too. Sorry, I was trying to be thorough. It is definitely the weakest run. I like the art a lot, though.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Surely it can't be worse than Mina's? Haven't gotten around to reading all of it yet, but isn't it the one that starts with the story about the spirit of an old London river?

I kind of liked Diggle's a lot. It felt a little rushed by the end but the build up I thought was all awesome and it brought Camuncoli in on art for the first time. Really, if it wasn't for how hurried that last story arc felt I thought it was pretty drat good. I guess the problem with the book is that so many runs are, at least in my opinion, amazing, that anything that's just average seems pretty crappy in comparison.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Just got the second trade for the Unwritten. I'm only an issue in, but man oh man, as an English major, I love this book so much.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I've noticed my library only has volumes two and three of Essex County. Would it be confusing not reading one?

And to keep it Vertigoy: are they ever going to put out a trade of the Jenkins run? Is there some issue that made that gap or what? I'd like to read those stories, darn it. Sean Philips is the man.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Whenever I hook a new friend on Hellblazer I give them the entire Ennis run, then go back to Delano, and then chronologically. Sometimes it's nice to see a side character evolve, like poor Map.

Carey is the best.

Old school love for Books of Magic, everyone should read it.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Multiple reading helps the Azzarello run a lot. I never used to like it but now the first three arcs are some of my favorite ever. The amazing Frusin art on Good Intentions and Freezes Over helps. Hard Time I really love because I have a thing for a comic book set in prison. To this day, though, Highwater still doesn't make complete sense to me, though.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Did the new Unwritten trade come out yet? Vol. 4? I'm a trade waiter and it's been killing me.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Is that art by Dean Ormston? Stupid trade waiting, I love that dude.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
If Hellblazer didn't exist I wouldn't have gotten a single person to read a comic book. It's my favorite comic ever. When only a couple of runs suck you know you've got a great character.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Has Tim Hunter been in anything since Life During Wartime? As much as I enjoyed that series for what it was, I want a proper Books of Magic back.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Tim Hunter is an awesome guy that I think takes a writer with a really solid idea to make it work. I haven't read all of the older Books of Magic series but I read all my library had and it took the idea of Boy Wizard and really ran with it. Last series (Life During Wartime) Tim was grown up and running around in a different reality with an Alt John and Zatana. Crazy idea, don't think it was that well received. I liked it enough to buy the whole thing.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
This really is the saddest day. Hellblazer and John have been my constant companions and my constant go to title since I first got into comics 12 years ago. I don't know what to say. I guess I should just finish up buying the Milligan trades and then, I don't know, cry or something. That DCU title doesn't fill me with confidence, I'd love to be wrong, but drat. drat.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I've been sad all day and wanted to maybe talk about some of our favorite moments?

- John's birthday party were Swamp Thing makes some pot for them to smoke.
- That time John helped his friend Brendan Finn no matter the consequences.
- The issue where John uses all the ghosts from the river (or was it a hopsital?) to stop the demons chasing him.

I've got a lot more but I was thinking it might be time for a little re-reading first.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I just came to say that while I trade wait and it'll take a while to annoy me, I would have liked to have kept Fables (of all books) out of my Unwritten.

(I guess having Bigby written by Mike Carey will at least mean that he'll be super awesome for a bit.)

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Jedit posted:

Given that the characters in Fables are all fictional, fitting them into The Unwritten shouldn't be a problem. Carey can feed them all to Mister Bun.

Yeah but if they were going to go the "take a group of characters from Vertigo" route I would have rather seen Tim or John or literally anyone that wasn't tired old big bad wolf. But still, if there's any writer in the world I can put my trust in, it's Carey.

(Just imagine Tim Hunter and Tom Taylor having a glasses stare off, though.)

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I hadn't actually thought about that bit yet. Mostly because I haven't looked at the cast as their archetypes in a long time. That'll actually be a pretty interesting notion to play with again.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Is The Wake drawn by the dude that drew Punk Rock Jesus because I just finished that book and that art rocked.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
So I just read Joe the Barbarian and that was crazy, too. I enjoyed it's whole deal. Crowd shots, man. Love them.

I will probably check out the Wake now. Does it have anything to do with some dude's dad though? Scott Snyder and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Yeah I live right next to Salem so I'll check out the New England book and I love me some Lee Bemerjo so that one has me super excited.

• Locked thread