Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...
Unfortunately, I can't comment on either Greek Street or American Vampire, but I've come to talk up Unwritten a little bit.

Out of the numerous comics one buys every month there are bound to be several that rise above the rest into the vague category of "I look forward to these titles more than the rest of the floppies I buy." For me, Unwritten has steadily soared to the top of that list, only to be topped by B&R and Chew. I have other interests outside of comics, like literature and history among many others, and these interests are fleshed out in Unwritten quite a bit. One of the main backbones of the story, for example, is that Tommy Taylor's father drilled into his head with answers to literary riddles and endless factoids of literature. The latest two issues have dealt exclusively with Joseph Goebbels. The subject matter for the span of the series so far has been rather wide, yet Mike Carey has done a fairly remarkable job of mentioning all of this and staying on point.

There are two other small things concerning the Unwritten and why I like it so much and it is these two things that drew me to it immediately. First, I love the cover art for this comic so drat much. Unwritten #1 is one of the few comics I've bought without any knowledge of the insides and it was due strictly to the cover. The other thing that drew me to this comic, after picking it up and reading it due to the cover, is the obvious Harry Potter analogue. It's not that I like or dislike Harry Potter, it's that Carey skirts the lines of this analogue without ever crossing into the strange world of Harry Potter's legions of devoted followers. What I mean to say is, instead of getting caught up in any debate that could spawn out of the utterance of the name Harry Potter alone, Carey simply uses the atmosphere and hype surrounding Harry Potter and his fandom to create the background and story for the protagonist, Tommy Taylor. There's obviously more to Tommy than the Harry Potter analogue but it's something I found very intriguing. Don't worry, the metaphor stops there as there are very few similarities between Harry and Tommy other than the fact they were in a similar series of books with a similar fan base.

Unwritten really is a fun little book and I can't wait to see what's going to happen with it over the course of the next year. The ongoing has really picked up steam in the last few issues and is now hurdling its way towards the meat of the story. Exciting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006

Roydrowsy posted:

As far as the OP goes, I just threw something together to start a Vertigo thread. I've not read a lot of these books, and really the OP isn't all that important, it's just the springboard.

Oh I wasn't harassing you into adding anything to the OP, I'm just glad someone started a Vertigo thread. I've been waiting to talk about it a little bit and haven't had the outlet I need. I didn't mean anything condescending if it came off that way.

Also, I've only managed to read the first 20 issues of Fables. I don't have the resources or the time to plow through another 60 or so to get to be able to read the ongoings...but is it worth it? I really liked the first 10 issues but I'm not sure if it was from the overall quality of the story or the novelty of watching the author create this world and the many personas for the fables and storybook characters. I found Pinocchio and Beauty/Beast's re-imagining to be both humorous and clever. Does this, arguably, clever humor continue through the rest of the series or does it dissolve into mainly story? Is the story one worth reading?

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
I came to this thread after finishing Unwritten #12 (I finally got this week's comics) and I'm glad to see it getting the love it deserves this week. Perhaps I'm dull, but I didn't quite get the picture the first time we veered off the Tommy Taylor story. I think I see where it's going now and if that's true, it's going to be very interesting and I can't wait. The art style is an amazing fit, almost perfect. The crazy rabbit tops it all off to be, I would say, easily the best issue so far. I'll mirror what Taters said in that this jump from Tommy Taylor's story to these romps through literature a bit jarring but now the greater picture is opening up a bit, at least enough for me to see it. Yuko Shimizu on the covers is a huge bonus for me too. I enjoy seeing his unique flair on the front of the book each month. It almost looks like scratchboard stuff. At the very least, it's refreshing to see something vibrant, unique and whimsical on the cover every month.

Edit: I fixed the cover artist's name while researching it some. Is Yuko Shimizu the same Yuko Shimizu who first drew Hello Kitty or is it a different one?

Whorehey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 19, 2010

• Locked thread