Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The next book (which is currently going through final revisions) is about Alexander the Great, and the villains are Nazis. Yes, actual, proper, straight outta WW2 Nazis. And not an evil billionaire in sight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

The next book (which is currently going through final revisions) is about Alexander the Great, and the villains are Nazis. Yes, actual, proper, straight outta WW2 Nazis. And not an evil billionaire in sight!

So just a few hundred millionaires? It sounds like a great setting.

Is the Earth Energy/Statue/Blackwood arc done with? Will we be seeing another overarching storyline?

The 8 years ago / present day alterations in The Valhalla Prophecy was so on point. Really ramped up the tension and we got to see Mac and Hugo again!

It's hilarious to me that Nina's greatest discovery, the veteres, was so crazy that she was like "yeah, welp the sinister shadow group is right to keep this a secret."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just finished Persona Protocol...Nice work Ndy McDerm.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up CODE ZERO by J. Maberry, the latest of the JOE LEDGER novels.

Gotta say, didn't really float my boat.

The plot synopsis on the back makes it sound like OH gently caress CRAZY poo poo GOING ON ALL THE TIME OH GOD, and the book is actually fairly boring. There's WAY more weird backstory for some reason, to introduce a character that OH poo poo GASP turns out to be the evil person in the book that has never been mentioned before now, and the chapters move from NOW, past, NOW, past, NOW NOW NOW, past, NOW, past again.

It's just... I get there are limited places you can go when your last book had the president kidnapped by aliens, but gently caress man this is just lazy. It's literally reusing plot devices from the previous books but making em way more lame. I understand WHY they are being used, but it doesn't change the fact it's loving retarded.

Also, there's the lovely idea that you can teach kids to be master hackers and shooters and killers and whatnot by providing the free pirated versions of GTA, Saint's Row, etc. Just, head shakingly bad ideas all around.

I'd say unless you are a HUGE ledger fan (and I mean that like you read every book day one and have a DMS tat on your nutsack and three separate personalities you refer to in the third person), I'd avoid it unless you are incredibly bored.

Biggest bitch point to me was a character reveal that is completely and utterly loving pointless other than the somehow give JOE LEDGER more of a poo poo life than Jack Bauer.

To me, Assassin's code, was loving retarded and the worst book in the series until now. This book ranks below Assassin's code.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I don't know if they count as airport fiction, but I just finished the Kenzie/Gennaro series by Dennis Lehane, and really enjoyed them. I saw Gone Baby Gone when it came out originally but had forgotten most of the plot other than the broad strokes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where does Vince Flynn stand with the Book Barn? I picked up American Assassin for $2 at a used book store and got into it almost instantly. It's emberassing to admit but this is the first novel I have finished in years after starting several get bad scifi books and always losing interest. I was relieved to find something I liked so much. I certainly didn't expect to get so captured by a spy novel. I've now finished the second one chronologically speaking, though I believe it may actually be a more recent novel. I'm torn between reading the books in the order Flynn wrote them, or going by the chronological order he lists on his website. American Assassin is the prequel story of how this special CIA killer got that way, I didn't know there were others in the series since it was just a blank hardcover with no sleeve.

The second one was paperback and had Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on the inside cover with big "AWESOME!!" Quotes next to their names. No surprise there. The books aren't very rah rah military though, more about how sometimes secretive people have to shoot another person in the head to stop money or information going to the wrong people.

At any rate this thread seemed like the place for that type of book. Is he well regarded? I don't want to read any reviews and spoil any plot by accident.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paragon8 posted:

At first I was a little put off by how quick Eddie and Nina ended up together, I expected a little more will they won't they but it actually I think is the defining aspect of the series. It saves us from the babe of the book common in other adventure series.
Going back a bit, but I wanted to address this: having Nina and Eddie get (and stay) together was a conscious decision right from the start, because I hate, hate, loving HATE the entire concept of "the babe of the book", as seen most prominently in Dan Brown's Robert Langdon novels. (There's something a bit "hmm" about the self-professed author avatar of a married man banging a different hero-worshipping woman in each book...) It reduces the heroine to "the girl", a prize to be won at the finale - and if it's a series, then chucked away like a used Kleenex by the start of the next book.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I read the first Ndy McDermo on a plane last week, and it suited the environment. Enjoyed it quite a bit, including the James Cameron reference for the sub. Was only a little disappointed by the various people not being turned to paste by proximity to underwater explosions, and the ending didn't feel too clever for its own good. I have Kindled the next, but not yet started it; it hit a little close to home, because I lost family to the Athenian-Atlantean war.

Read A Rough Man by Brad Taylor next, which was also good, if a little more politically active. Both sides of the conflict think the US is too soft on terror, so I'm actually not sure what the author's position is. As he's former special forces, I have a guess. It also appears that the author is avoiding the rightfully-maligned "babe of the book" pattern.

I'd also recommend Charles Cummings' books about Alec Milius. Not so much exploding, but good just-implausible-enough espionage plots.

Edit: boy, am I ever not former special forces.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

Going back a bit, but I wanted to address this: having Nina and Eddie get (and stay) together was a conscious decision right from the start, because I hate, hate, loving HATE the entire concept of "the babe of the book", as seen most prominently in Dan Brown's Robert Langdon novels. (There's something a bit "hmm" about the self-professed author avatar of a married man banging a different hero-worshipping woman in each book...) It reduces the heroine to "the girl", a prize to be won at the finale - and if it's a series, then chucked away like a used Kleenex by the start of the next book.

and it works really well and humanises the books. The relationship felt very real despite there being some crazy adventure every six months or so. You have a fantastic cast of characters and I'm in constant fear of ancillary characters dying.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Flynn was pretty great. A couple of his books really drag as they get into politics a bit more and all that, but they're still fun and he pulls himself out of that later on. Reading American Assassin first probably hurt the effect of it - as it's a ton more fun reading that one after reading all the rest.

So you read AA - then Kill Shot I assume? From then on, the Publication/Chronological Order is all of the same. So no need to worry there.

However I would read Term Limits first. That was Flynns first book, and written before Mitch Rapp existed, but takes place in the same world. There are some characters that feature in later Flynn books, so may as well read that first then dive into Transfer of Power and so on.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Simon Kernick counts, right? The later books move from crime to counterterrorism, there are lots of explosions, and ridiculously inflated body counts. But on the other hand his most frequently recurring protagonist is a woman, and while there's some regressive fantasizing about how the cop's jobs would be easier if their hands weren't tied and they could torture their suspects a little bit the primary villains are neo-Nazi-esque White supremacist army veterans instead of completely interchangeable, cartoonishly evil and misogynist Arab villains that go by monikers like "The Sheikh" or "The Emir".

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

homo punching bag posted:

Where does Vince Flynn stand with the Book Barn? I picked up American Assassin for $2 at a used book store and got into it almost instantly. It's emberassing to admit but this is the first novel I have finished in years after starting several get bad scifi books and always losing interest. I was relieved to find something I liked so much. I certainly didn't expect to get so captured by a spy novel. I've now finished the second one chronologically speaking, though I believe it may actually be a more recent novel. I'm torn between reading the books in the order Flynn wrote them, or going by the chronological order he lists on his website. American Assassin is the prequel story of how this special CIA killer got that way, I didn't know there were others in the series since it was just a blank hardcover with no sleeve.

The second one was paperback and had Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck on the inside cover with big "AWESOME!!" Quotes next to their names. No surprise there. The books aren't very rah rah military though, more about how sometimes secretive people have to shoot another person in the head to stop money or information going to the wrong people.

At any rate this thread seemed like the place for that type of book. Is he well regarded? I don't want to read any reviews and spoil any plot by accident.

I've read the first three chronologically and I enjoyed them. The next is on my to read pile. They are quite a bit of fun, even with people like Glen Beck sticking their name on. I will say, Flynn doesn't seem to care much for the Arab world, but it's sort of the point for his books.

Who you should avoid is Ted Bell. I read Assassin a few month back and it is amazing how bad it was.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

homo punching bag posted:

Where does Vince Flynn stand with the Book Barn?

Vince Flynn's books are great airport novels. For my $9, they leave Lee Childs for dead. They have plenty of action, a super assassin who is amazing at literally everything, ridiculously cartoonish LIBERALS WHO JUST DONT GET IT and all the bad guys are evil terrists who Get What They Deserve.

The fact that O'Reilly said we should send Rapp after Julian Assange is just the conservative icing on the nutcase cake. Plus, he died really young and suddenly, so I don't feel bad about my couple of bucks going to his family (rather than to a rabid rightwing douche like Brad Thor).

I haven't really found another series anywhere near as good to replace them.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
I just finished the Covenant of Genesis and It was a wild ride but I found that the number of supporting characters made it a little bit difficult to follow especially when the action hots up. That might be influenced by the fact I read a lot after a few beers :).
I like Eddie and Nina as characters but I think I preferred The Persona Protocol as a story.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The number of supporting characters in a Nina and Eddie novel tends to shrink dramatically over time. :ohdear:

I'm glad you liked The Persona Protocol; I really enjoyed writing it, but generally it wasn't as well received as the Wilde/Chase series, so I'm not sure if there'll ever be a sequel. Which is a shame, as I set up a bunch of hooks for the next story!

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Looks like that there will be more Mitch Rapp novels. What is the author like, who's contracted to finish the unfinished Survivor novel and new ones?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I've been doing a lot of bus travelling lately due to work and now taken up a habit of reading to spend time instead of just staring out the window so I ordered the first two Nina and Eddie books and I can't wait to read them. :D

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
So I have just got Steve Berry's "The Jefferson Key" out of the library. I have enjoyed the other Cotton Malone books - is this one of a similar quality? I am tossing up for my next read between this and a Karin Slaughter mystery "Unseen".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cooked Auto posted:

So I've been doing a lot of bus travelling lately due to work and now taken up a habit of reading to spend time instead of just staring out the window so I ordered the first two Nina and Eddie books and I can't wait to read them. :D
:toot:

Also on the :toot: front, I just optioned the movie rights for the entire Nina and Eddie series!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Payndz posted:

Also on the :toot: front, I just optioned the movie rights for the entire Nina and Eddie series!

Congrats! I've ordered the first book in the series to check it out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Payndz posted:

Holy gently caress! Ndy McDerm hits the big time! Congratulations and good luck.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Payndz posted:

Can you share any details, or are you bound to silence by blood contracts with Hollywood? I understand the latter is the norm.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vaz posted:

Looks like that there will be more Mitch Rapp novels. What is the author like, who's contracted to finish the unfinished Survivor novel and new ones?

That's interesting. Here's a bit more information:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/boo...784606d6b4.html

quote:

Simon & Schuster and Flynn’s estate have commissioned thriller writer Kyle Mills to complete Flynn’s unfinished novel, “The Survivor,” and to write two more books in the Rapp series. “The Survivor” is tentatively scheduled to hit shelves next year.

I don't know anything about Kyle Mills, but he certainly isn't Brad Thor. He seems to really like the series and has written things in the Jason Bourne style. I bet it'll be fine but I hope they're great and movie talks can continue. I want to see Bruce Willis' being Hurley.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 30, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool. New Greig Beck book is out!

Title's Gorgon.

Gonna check it out in a bit :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

Did they sign you on a a screenwriter or anything as well? If they ever get made I hope they hew towards following the books, we haven't had many movies that crazy-fun.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

effectual posted:

Did they sign you on a a screenwriter or anything as well? If they ever get made I hope they hew towards following the books, we haven't had many movies that crazy-fun.
The screenwriter was the person who got everything moving. He recently made a screenplay deal that got him effectively carte blanche to pick his next project, and he's a big fan of the Nina and Eddie books, so...

Whether a movie ever gets made is something else entirely - a lot of books get optioned, but only a small percentage actually go into production - but at this stage I'm just stoked that the first step's been taken. Fingers crossed!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
Has anyone else read The Boy from Reactor 4 (Orest Stelmach)? I just finished it, nice page turner through New York and Ukraine with a quick pass through Russia and Alaska complete with MacGuffin. I checked it out because it had decent reviews and was on sale for Kindle for $2.00). I got the second book too, The Boy Who Stole from the Dead, also on sale for Kindle. I'm going to wait for the holiday to start it since I couldn't put the first down until I was done.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Little more than halfway through Gorgon, and it's pretty awesome. Maybe 6-7.5 on the REILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!! scale.

We've got crazy poo poo, :science: babble, laser guns, spec ops teams with bio reactive armor and special gun rounds, Captain America (except not through VITA rays and science, but through being shot in the head and science), and I'm only like 54% through the book.

If they set off a MOAB then we are going to go critical on the REILLY!!!!!!11!!!!!111! scale and I don't think I can survive it. They've already used some kinda thermobaric rocket system and that was about a 1/3rd of the way through.

The best part is I'm this far along in the book and I still have pretty much no idea what the holy gently caress the author is going to end up making Gorgon end up being. I'd hedge my bets but after the crazy yeti poo poo he pulled, it's really a coin toss.

This might be the best one in the series.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was going to buy a Tom Clancy book to see what he's like but it turns out the only person who hasn't written a Tom Clancy book is Tom Clancy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Red Storm Rising and Hunt for Red October are fantastic if dated.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, pretty much everything before Executive Orders is considered between pretty good and excellent*. The books written after that start marking the point where he starts losing his mind and gets weird. (Though Rainbow Six is fun, if a little psychotic.)

*Note: I may be the only person in the universe who likes Clear And Present Danger, and one of like three who likes Without Remorse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, pretty much everything before Executive Orders is considered between pretty good and excellent*. The books written after that start marking the point where he starts losing his mind and gets weird. (Though Rainbow Six is fun, if a little psychotic.)

*Note: I may be the only person in the universe who likes Clear And Present Danger, and one of like three who likes Without Remorse.

I'm good all the way up to The Teeth of the Tiger actually.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm good all the way up to The Teeth of the Tiger actually.

I still like them all, I just ignore that he gets a little insane. The Bear and the Dragon was really good imo.

Edit: I think picturing Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan makes it easier to tolerate.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Affleck and Pine were good too. Not saying the movie's were though.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Baldwin was, in my experience, the only Ryan who got the character - the rest are far too action hero-y. I haven't seen Pine's movie, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

iNteg posted:

Edit: I think picturing Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan makes it easier to tolerate.

I've always imagined Ryan to be some sort of like Keanu Reeves after putting on a few pounds. Someone with a sort of weedy desk jockey physique, sort of disheveled, looking like you'd expect a former military guy who'd let himself go a bit after being stuck at a desk for years and stopped caring.

John Clark however, I totally imagine him as Harrison. Domingo though, I don't even know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress.

Just finished up Gorgon, by Grieg Beck, and holy gently caress.

8.5 REILLYS!!!!111!1!1111!!11!!!!!! at the bare minimum.

Story wise it's not QUITE as good as the batshit insane Iran president who wanted to throw muslims through a black hole to Allah, but god drat it's a close one.

The only complaint I have about it is that the ending kinda feels rushed. The climax of the book is loving... retardedly awesome but there's a feeling of "He put WAY too much poo poo happening in this one spot" instead of fleshing it out a bit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Story wise it's not QUITE as good as the batshit insane Iran president who wanted to throw muslims through a black hole to Allah, but god drat it's a close one.

I must know what this is from.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Second book in the series, Dark Rising.

It's... as amazing as that plot synopsis can make it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
Just finished the second Orest Stelmach novel, The Boy Who Stole From The Dead. Posting it here again because it definitely was airport fiction. The characters from the first novel (The Boy From Reactor 4)
are back and this time Bobby(The Boy) has confessed to murder. Nadia Tesla must find proof of his innocence, but Bobby isn't talking...

This was another page-turner, the only reason I could put it down was because I was so tired I was literally nodding off with Kindle in hand. The two books are still on sale for kindle for $2.00 apiece.

• Locked thread