Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I've always imagined Ryan to be some sort of like Keanu Reeves after putting on a few pounds. Someone with a sort of weedy desk jockey physique, sort of disheveled, looking like you'd expect a former military guy who'd let himself go a bit after being stuck at a desk for years and stopped caring.

John Clark however, I totally imagine him as Harrison. Domingo though, I don't even know.

The reason I picture Harrison Ford is because I saw patriot games/air force one back to back before I started reading the books, so it was ingrained in me to picture him that way.

Totally can picture him getting stressed out and calling his secretary for a cigarette.

Clark though... thats harder. William Defoe I can't picture Clark being, though honestly as a younger dude I could picture a Gerard Butler-esque guy in his 30s.

Either way barring the crazy political viewpoint Clancy took I still love the series, and yes even the young Jack Ryan Jr. Books are enjoyable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iNteg posted:

Clark though... thats harder. William Defoe I can't picture Clark being, though honestly as a younger dude I could picture a Gerard Butler-esque guy in his 30s.

Liam Neeson would be my pick for older Clark, particularly around the Rainbow Six era.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Liam Neeson would be my pick for older Clark, particularly around the Rainbow Six era.

My next read through that's how I'm gonna picture Clark. That is spot on.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Someone has bought me a copy of Ice Station for my birthday. I await its arrival in the mail with bated breath, and a stockpile of exclamation points.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So can this thread be used as an umbrella for thrillers?

I just finished Doha 12 by Lance Charnes, and liked it a lot. The basic premise (Mossad's action branch "borrows" the names and identities of 12 expatriates as covers to assassinate a Hezbollah leader, those identities are leaked and Hezbollah moves to assassinate the civilians whose names were used as payback) is interesting, and the principal characters, from the principal leads to the terrorists to a Mossad team sent to fix their mess, are fleshed out and given human shades of grey and motivations. The two leads are well written characters and pretty badass.

It's not a perfect book: the plot starts out pretty contrived to deprive the leads of government support and the romantic subplot starts out pretty shaky before getting better.

Also, for a book that is basically Jewish Israelis vs. Muslim Arabs (plus or minus one), it's actually pretty leftist for an anti-terrorism thriller. The Point of View characters, Israeli-Americans, a few of the terrorists trying to kill them, and Mossad assassins, are all given human motivations. Hezbollah are shown to be cruel and evil but the Israeli government is also shown to be in the wrong, and if there's a "message" to the book's policies it's that there's a cycle of violence that has harmed both sides, not "Muslim Arabs are evil". Also, there's no super hot, super misogynistic Arab terrorist who seduces Western women while calling them whores in his internal monologue (seriously, I've seen that often enough that it must be a trope by now) so that's a plus.

Picked up his second book, South, which has corporate interests and military contractors running a dystopian US, and Muslim Americans (including the heroine) fleeing for the borders lest they be locked up in internment camps

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So this week I've managed to read through The Hunt for Atlantis and probably halfway through The Tomb of Hercules and oh my god they are amazing. :neckbeard:
It's really the first time in a really long time where I have had to willingly force myself to put down the book because they are so entertaining to read. They are pure action movie in book format and I love it. :D

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
So, Clive Owen is Eddie, Natalie Portman is Nina, Lena Headey is Sophia Blackwood in the movie adaptation?

Payndz posted:

:toot:

Also on the :toot: front, I just optioned the movie rights for the entire Nina and Eddie series!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

langurmonkey posted:

So, Clive Owen is Eddie, Natalie Portman is Nina, Lena Headey is Sophia Blackwood in the movie adaptation?

Funny enough I was thinking about that and so far I could only pin down Jaston Statham as Eddie because for some reason I just think it'd fit so well. But then I drew blanks Nina honestly.
Lena could work as Sophia I can admit based on what I've read in Tomb of Hercules.

Oh and Peter Stormare has to play Frost. Just because. No idea for Kari right of the bat.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 12, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

langurmonkey posted:

Lena Headey is Sophia Blackwood

Wow. I hadn't given much thought to appropriate actors, beyond Jason Statham (which I believe Payndz said was deliberate?), but that would be amazing and would never have occurred to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Carrie Anne Moss as Nina.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Vavrek posted:

Wow. I hadn't given much thought to appropriate actors, beyond Jason Statham (which I believe Payndz said was deliberate?), but that would be amazing and would never have occurred to me.

I think I read Atlantis around the time The Dark Knight Rises was in theaters, and saw Eddie in my mind's eye as Tom Hardy.

Which reminds me, I've got to go back to the library and check out more books in the series. Atlantis was a lot of fun, and took only a few days to read through.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Meaty Ore posted:

I think I read Atlantis around the time The Dark Knight Rises was in theaters, and saw Eddie in my mind's eye as Tom Hardy.
The next book, Kingdom Of Darkness, starts with Nina and Eddie in Hollywood, being feted for the movie rights to their adventures. Eddie suggests Tom Hardy to play him; he's less keen on the producer's idea.

Soon afterwards, large parts of Beverly Hills are destroyed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Payndz posted:

The next book, Kingdom Of Darkness, starts with Nina and Eddie in Hollywood, being feted for the movie rights to their adventures. Eddie suggests Tom Hardy to play him; he's less keen on the producer's idea.

Soon afterwards, large parts of Beverly Hills are destroyed.

Yessssssss :getin:

Now I have to get the rest so I can read that one.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Carrie Anne Moss as Nina.

Had this been a few years earlier I'd almost suggest Rachel Weisz because of The Mummy and how bookish she looked in that one. Now not so much perhaps.

Late Edit: Yes, Lena Headey has to play Sophia in a Tomb of Hercules movie. Reached the part in the Swiss factory in this case.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 12, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Moss is the same age as Statham.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Moss is the same age as Statham.

Aha.
For a jokesy suggestion I'd say Karl Urban and Olivia Thrilby as Eddie and Nina considering we've already suggested Lena Headey as Sophia.
Even if I guess Urban is a bit too young for Eddie. But at the same time I want see him in more movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
If you want to see a nifty little techno-thriller/political action movie check out Sabotage with Moss, Mark Dacascos, Tony Todd, Graham Greene and John Neville.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cooked Auto posted:

For a jokesy suggestion I'd say Karl Urban and Olivia Thrilby as Eddie and Nina considering we've already suggested Lena Headey as Sophia.
Even if I guess Urban is a bit too young for Eddie. But at the same time I want see him in more movies.
Eddie's 34 in the first book, and Nina's 28. Urban is 42 and Statham's 46! (Thirlby would actually be the right age for Nina, though. And she's even from NYC!)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It always felt like Eddie was in his late 30s not early to me. What do I know though?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Payndz posted:

Eddie's 34 in the first book, and Nina's 28. Urban is 42 and Statham's 46! (Thirlby would actually be the right age for Nina, though. And she's even from NYC!)

Oh.
Still vote for Lena Headley as Sophia though.

Also I love that you added a mention of the Osprey tilt rotor in Tomb of Hercules. :neckbeard:

And did I seriously read a part where Eddie kills Gordon Freeman in the underwater base? :raise:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cooked Auto posted:

And did I seriously read a part where Eddie kills Gordon Freeman in the underwater base? :raise:
Yup. :haw:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Figures, now I'm almost expecting them to meet some military guy named Shepard at some point in the future.

Now I just need to buy the rest of the books to find out if that's true or not. :v:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The first Eddie and Nina book had me thinking it was an old book at one point as there were mentions of a VCR and palm pilot - Funny how both of these seem a bit anachronistic and so 1990s.

That said, I enjoyed it and will be reading the rest. Maybe we'll see the ebook version being updated to say DVR and iPad :)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baconroll posted:

The first Eddie and Nina book had me thinking it was an old book at one point as there were mentions of a VCR and palm pilot - Funny how both of these seem a bit anachronistic and so 1990s.

That said, I enjoyed it and will be reading the rest. Maybe we'll see the ebook version being updated to say DVR and iPad :)
I wrote the first book in 2006, before the iPhone existed, which now seems utterly weird as I can't imagine not having one. There's a bit in Tomb Of Hercules where Sophia shows Eddie a picture on her (unspecified) smartphone, and at the time I wrote it (early 2007) the iPhone had been announced but not gone on sale, so I had to guess how a touchscreen phone might work and hope the real thing wouldn't be too different.

Jesus, a Palm Pilot as a point of comparison. Times change!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Neuromancer had a bank of pay phones in it during one memorable scene. It's all good.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

Neuromancer had a bank of pay phones in it during one memorable scene. It's all good.

That scene could still work really well in modern day with just random passersby having their phones go off.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Could we be in for TWELVE REILLYS???!!!!!

The blurb for THE GREAT ZOO OF CHINA by Matthew Reilly posted:

It is a secret the Chinese government has been keeping for forty years. They have found a species of animal no one believed even existed. It will amaze the world.

Now the Chinese are ready to unveil their astonishing discovery within the greatest zoo ever constructed. A small group of VIPs and journalists has been brought to the zoo deep within China to see its fabulous creatures for the first time. Among them is Dr Cassandra Jane 'CJ' Cameron, a writer for National Geographic and an expert on reptiles.

The visitors are assured by their Chinese hosts that they will be struck with wonder at these beasts, that they are perfectly safe, and that nothing can go wrong...

GET READY FOR ACTION ON A GIGANTIC SCALE
I'm going to guess dragons. Or dinosaurs. Maybe dragosaurs. Whatever, I've already pre-ordered it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
How often does he have to replace the '1' key on his keyboard?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

:toot:

Also on the :toot: front, I just optioned the movie rights for the entire Nina and Eddie series!

I'm watching the highly enjoyable Matador on El Rey and it seems they read some of your stuff. The main villain (who may or may not have people above him) is a Carlos Slim like telco mogul with an interest in acquiring Olmec artifacts, digging for ancient ruins and recruiting a mercenary army. This all takes place in bizarro world where soccer is a major US sport, there is a team called the LA Riot owned by the villain and a DEA agent goes undercover as a player on the team.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Soccer, big in the US? That's too bizarro even for me!

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
I am just finishing up Never Go Back by Lee Child on Audible. It had never really struck me till hearing it read just how often Reacher says nothing. The narrator is pretty great too so I am happy with this as my first Audible purchase. The story is a nice cat and mouse cross country chase which makes a nice change to the small town scenarios that Reacher often ends up in.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

langurmonkey posted:

I am just finishing up Never Go Back by Lee Child on Audible. It had never really struck me till hearing it read just how often Reacher says nothing. The narrator is pretty great too so I am happy with this as my first Audible purchase. The story is a nice cat and mouse cross country chase which makes a nice change to the small town scenarios that Reacher often ends up in.

It really is pretty impressive that Lee Child can keep the average quality so high for EIGHTEEN books now. Sure, there are some repetitive things, but every book is a fun, interesting, entertaining and pretty solid read.

Just burned through the first two Travis Chase books by Patrick Lee. Some great airport stuff there, really well written and well paced.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It really is pretty impressive that Lee Child can keep the average quality so high for EIGHTEEN books now.

I feel the same way about John Sandford, yeah. Thanks for the Chase/Lee tip!

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It really is pretty impressive that Lee Child can keep the average quality so high for EIGHTEEN books now.

Nineteen! Blew through Personal in the last couple of days and it was a ton o' fun, even if some of it did feel like retreads of Reacher's greatest hits (the sniper stuff from One Shot, the fortress infiltration showdown from... I guess that's from One Shot as well, the oversized enemy thug from Persuader, and a shitload of Dominique Kohl references. The showdown was a little lacking, I thought (although more satisfying than the one from Never Go Back), but it definitely sped up my train journeys.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I feel the same way about John Sandford, yeah. Thanks for the Chase/Lee tip!

Me too! I love his books and am waiting for the next Virgil Flowers novel in October.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It really is pretty impressive that Lee Child can keep the average quality so high for EIGHTEEN books now. Sure, there are some repetitive things, but every book is a fun, interesting, entertaining and pretty solid read.

Some of his later books have gotten better too I find. The Affair and now Personal in particular - it's not just the story or anything like that. It's like more than ever I feel the enthusiasm Lee Child has when it comes to writing Reacher.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Scotsman posted:

Some of his later books have gotten better too I find. The Affair and now Personal in particular - it's not just the story or anything like that. It's like more than ever I feel the enthusiasm Lee Child has when it comes to writing Reacher.

The best Reachers are the first person Reachers. Child always seems to give it his all when he's writing in that style.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Book Barn > Airport Fiction - Reacher said nothing

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
So I just finished Personal, and erm.. Meh.

No lady interest really, the stuff with him and that woman who's supposed to be like his ex-partner.. what the gently caress was with the drugs anyway.

Also the gang stuff was a little zzzzzz. Not enough beaty-bashy out and out violence.

And WTF even was up with the bulletproof glass thing? Not my favourite of his, must be said.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

kalleth posted:

So I just finished Personal, and erm.. Meh.

No lady interest really, the stuff with him and that woman who's supposed to be like his ex-partner.. what the gently caress was with the drugs anyway.

I think the Zoloft stuff is a red herring to make you suspect that Nice is the enemy sniper - using them to calm her nerves, slow her heart rate and reduce tremor in her hands. She's absent when Kott tries to kill Reacher on the balcony, and her pill count is down next time Reacher counts. It was actually kinda refreshing to have a book where Reacher doesn't bang the leading lady for no reason other than she's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

I really enjoyed Personal - it felt very similar to Persuader which is my favourite Reacher novel, and of course many callbacks to that. Although sadly Little Joey never came CLOSE to the awesomeness that was Paulie.

Faux Mulder posted:

I think the Zoloft stuff is a red herring to make you suspect that Nice is the enemy sniper - using them to calm her nerves, slow her heart rate and reduce tremor in her hands. She's absent when Kott tries to kill Reacher on the balcony, and her pill count is down next time Reacher counts. It was actually kinda refreshing to have a book where Reacher doesn't bang the leading lady for no reason other than she's there.

I never even thought about that - although thinking back, I could see how one could think that and it'll probably be good when I go back and read it now and start looking out for stuff like that. Like when she goes to pick up the food and is gone a long time - small things like that I can see adding to the suspicion of her. I really did think there was something more to that whole thing but never managed to figure out what.

• Locked thread