Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

belt posted:

We have our own in house security force. We actually have more security personnel than any other department. They carry around M16's and some sort of pistol. I can't really say much else about our security because that's one of the only things in commercial nuclear power that is classified (well not classified but considered "safeguards information" by the NRC).

If it's Wackenhut, those guys are dicks. Blackwater with bigger beer bellies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

LordNad posted:

I met a kid in Jax who said he went through nuke school, got out to the fleet and was in the middle of his PQS when he got called back. Apparently one of his tests was graded incorrectly (the score was still passing), because of this he lost his job (had to rerate) and the guy who graded the test was pulled from retirement and NJPed/courtmartialed?(forget which). Basically the guy lost his vet status/all benefits.

Can something like this happen? Or was PO3 dumbass making poo poo up?

What about this? I tried looking around but I couldn't find anything that said "Oh yeah btw we can yank you off retirement if you gently caress up grading a nuc test".

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LordNad posted:

What about this? I tried looking around but I couldn't find anything that said "Oh yeah btw we can yank you off retirement if you gently caress up grading a nuc test".

I can't speak for the Navy but barring test compromise or outright fuckery/buffoonery it appears vanishingly unlikely. Sure the DoD CAN strip benefits etc. from people but how often do you hear of it happening?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Slippery posted:

I can't speak for the Navy but barring test compromise or outright fuckery/buffoonery it appears vanishingly unlikely. Sure the DoD CAN strip benefits etc. from people but how often do you hear of it happening?

I also call bullshit, but the navy is VERY crazy about their nuke stuff so if it were true I wouldn't be outright shocked.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I really doubt that story. We shred student exams not too long after they graduate to prevent compromise of the exam question banks.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
So, concerning Prototype, are there any tips on how not to suck? So far we've heard "You have to work hard" and "It's a completely different game than Power School." Elaboration on those two statements wasn't provided.

Edit: Do you pretty much just have to be there as much as possible in case the event you need a qual for happens to go down?

Manawski fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 3, 2010

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manawski posted:

So, concerning Prototype, are there any tips on how not to suck? So far we've heard "You have to work hard" and "It's a completely different game than Power School." Elaboration on those two statements wasn't provided.

Edit: Do you pretty much just have to be there as much as possible in case the event you need a qual for happens to go down?

Don't be a dickhead, don't overstudy, and act like you give a poo poo about your job and you'll do fine. Of course that pretty much applies to any part of the nuke field after you get out of power school.

Also I avoided SPUs as much as I could if I had the choice. They tend to be giant twats. Always go to the sea returnee if you have the choice.

Edit: Actually going back I gather that you're an officer? Don't avoid the SPU's at all in that case.

belt fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 3, 2010

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

belt posted:

Don't be a dickhead, don't overstudy, and act like you give a poo poo about your job and you'll do fine. Of course that pretty much applies to any part of the nuke field after you get out of power school.

Also I avoided SPUs as much as I could if I had the choice. They tend to be giant twats. Always go to the sea returnee if you have the choice.

Edit: Actually going back I gather that you're an officer? Don't avoid the SPU's at all in that case.

I thought most of the submarine sea returnees were the biggest dicks so maybe it just varies.

Basically just find out who the best people are to sign poo poo and go after them like crazy, you don't have to know everything just know enough so they don't think youre a completely worthless dipshit. Also, study for your qual watches and ask questions unless you like to get yelled at

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I teach at prototype.
You have to be confident on watch, be willing to stand the watch and make mistakes (they'll be corrected before you turn the switch), be able to walk up to everyone and ask for a checkout and get turned down 9/10 times but still do it every day. Don't go DINQ or life will loving suck and no one will care. Don't be an annoying shithead. Don't cry, especially on watch. Do not just memorize things with no understanding. We look entirely for understanding. making GBS threads out words will not help you at all.
"Can I have a checkout on fission"
"How does fission work?"
"blah blah neutrons"
"So why does this constant change during power changes?"
"blah blah"
"How does that change how we operate the reactor?"
"something about rods thats not really correct"
"So why do we have rods made out of this material?"
blank stare
"Ok, well tell me what the rods are made out of"
blank stare
"OK, go look it up and :dogout:

That's how people that just memorize get screwed. Inability to apply to practical situations.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
my friends at ballston spa are all alcoholic e-6s so go see them

names thru pm only thanx this guy is a hard charger

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Alright, good to know. It sounds a little bit more up my alley than Power School is. It's pretty goddamn hilarious (frustrating) to see people get 3.8-3.9 on an exam merely for memorizing the notes and making GBS threads them out on exams.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
One of the guys in my class was real good. He even underlined words on his own test that were the exact things that were underlined on the answer sheet.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I want to crush that person.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

KetTarma posted:

I want to crush that person.

Unfortunately the one I'm thinking of will be going to NY with me. Hopefully your fellow instructors share the same sentiment.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LordNad posted:

Yeah when she said she was one of a handful of female ROs in the country, I thought it was some bullshit thing she made up to make herself feel better. Don't know about my uncle's plant (Seabrook station), but my mother says her plant (Pilgrim think? they change hands every so many years) has it's own commandoesque team for defense. Do you guys have the same thing? Trumped up security guards running around with submachine guns and tacticool poo poo?

Oh god the teams at Pilgrim are retarded paramilitary. Cmon, I know it's a nuke plant but jesus. They almost tried to kill us when we were doing a patrol nearby (Coast Guard, for reference)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

KetTarma posted:

The Scorpion is believed to have blown up from a torpedo self-starting itself due to a short circuit. I have a book sitting on my desk talking about how it was actually blown up by the Soviets :tinfoil:

I talked to some ACINT riders while on westpac in 97 about this. What they told me was rather disturbing.

Also wow! I looked up ACINT on google, first link takes me to a drat picture of my old LPO who went into ACINT. That guy had to be capped to E-6 after being E-5 for like 12 years.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

:siren: The reactor is super critical :siren:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When my boat was in pre-com our chief gave the HPACs to M-Div, cutting out alot of our maintenace. The SS plant is back there we should look into giving that to M-Div too. God Bless Nukes.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Turtle Sandbox posted:

When my boat was in pre-com our chief gave the HPACs to M-Div, cutting out alot of our maintenace. The SS plant is back there we should look into giving that to M-Div too. God Bless Nukes.

pretty sure on most boats mdiv owns hpacs hth

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Why wouldn't M-Div own the HPACs? The controllers are electrical but everything else has piston things and valves and poo poo. That's definite monkey-business.

So far this week I have had two students cry and one have a panic attack. :aaaaa:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

On the SSBN I was on, A-Div took logs on it, but I don't remember who owned the drat things.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

On the SSBN I was on, A-Div took logs on it, but I don't remember who owned the drat things.

they fall under so many divisions its nuts....HP air which is a gang, m-div because hey gently caress those guys, E div since we got the PLCs, and ETs actually operate them and take logs on them

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
"So, sir, what do you think about the idea that pilots get a mandatory eight hours of sleep a night, but the people running the reactor might be working on less than four"

...to a carrier PXO. An O-5 pilot.

PXO's : :nyd: :crossarms:
Instructor : :ughh:
The rest of the class : :aaa:

The next 10 minutes of class went extremely well

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Manawski posted:

"So, sir, what do you think about the idea that pilots get a mandatory eight hours of sleep a night, but the people running the reactor might be working on less than four"

You know, it's just like when our guys complain about stuff like BUT PILOTS CAN BRING PENCILS IN THE COCKPIT AND NOBODY YELLS AT THEM FOR IT

Sometimes people just ought to stay in their lane :(

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Slippery posted:

Sometimes people just ought to stay in their lane :(

fyi this has never been used as anything other than "yeah I'm hosed up but check the collar, bitch"

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hagetaka posted:

fyi this has never been used as anything other than "yeah I'm hosed up but check the collar, bitch"

Maybe not in your world, I dunno about the Army though, you guys are weird.

For us it means, don't worry about poo poo you can't control. Don't complain about squadron or AFSC X that does Y because those guys are not us and we/you can't change them so don't whine. Don't worry about what some other dude/section/etc does because whether they are right or wrong that's on them, and we're not them.

Actually it makes pretty good sense so I dunno why Army people use it wrong.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

While that's what it means, anybody who says that to you in the Army is most likely some godawful flavor of d-bag.

One of the badass NCOs I knew, though, would say poo poo like "Don't go dippin' in my kool-aid" so there are exceptions.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

LonsomeSon posted:

While that's what it means, anybody who says that to you in the Army is most likely some godawful flavor of d-bag.

One of the badass NCOs I knew, though, would say poo poo like "Don't go dippin' in my kool-aid" so there are exceptions.

We (aircraft maintenance officers) use it sometimes and say it to each other, because we are usually pretty territorial about stuff (this is MY aircraft maintenance unit, these jets are OURS, this is MY squadron etc) so when dudes criticize or talk poo poo or try to get out of trouble by throwing someone else under the bus, we usually tell them to go away. It translates sometimes to the young enlisted guys who will see pilots doing X and complain about it -- a common one is pilots bringing pens/pencils to the cockpit after they (the enlisted dudes) have gotten yelled at by QA for the same thing. But the pilots need to use them, and also it's not for us to worry about, in that if the pilot loses a pencil or some poo poo, the OIC will point that out at a later time, etc.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manawski posted:

Seems like a valid question to me.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

belt posted:

Seems like a valid question to me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great question, but it's still one of those sort of things you don't go asking the soon-to-be O-6 CVN XO's in the nice leather chairs in the back of the room when you're an ENS, even if the ENS has 5 ribbons straight outta Oxford :wtc:

The answer did end up boiling down to "We'll worry about being pilots and NFO's and you can worry about getting a warfare qualification"

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: Err, nevermind. I'm not in the Navy anymore so I can quit whining about it.

belt fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 20, 2010

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Manawski posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great question, but it's still one of those sort of things you don't go asking the soon-to-be O-6 CVN XO's in the nice leather chairs in the back of the room when you're an ENS, even if the ENS has 5 ribbons straight outta Oxford :wtc:

The answer did end up boiling down to "We'll worry about being pilots and NFO's and you can worry about getting a warfare qualification"

See yeah, "Stay in your lane." This is a big thing in the (AF) pilot world too, and MX as well, we bust that one out from time to time (usually in the sense of 'mind your own business')

Torvec
Sep 17, 2007
Since I last posted in this thread, I've gone through the wonderful experience that is MEPS--multiple times (and each time on little to no sleep). I took the NAPT and passed it (still haven't been told my actual score yet). Got my Juvenile records pulled to see if I had a record (I don't) and I submitted my waiver for that one D I got in my freshman year of high school for Algebra.

Everything seemed fine until at the last possible moment I get told that they aren't accepting any waivers at this time for Nukes. I'm still eligible to get in but I have to wait for them to start accepting waivers again. To top it off, I was supposed to go to MEPS tomorrow but the CNRD (I think that's what it was called) got flooded out since it's located in Tennessee and they can't assign jobs because of it. Thanks mother nature.

I swear when this whole process is over I'm going to either be the most cynical man in the world or the most patient. Or both, no reason I can't have the best of both worlds.

By the way, my recruiter keeps telling me that if I sign up for any other active duty job/reserves I can get it re-classed to Nuke without any issues. He's not BS'ing me is he?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Torvec posted:

I swear when this whole process is over I'm going to either be the most cynical man in the world or the most patient. Or both, no reason I can't have the best of both worlds.

If the system is functioning properly, almost everybody who goes into the military and leaves before retiring should be competitive for the most cynical individual ever to live.

Torvec posted:

By the way, my recruiter keeps telling me that if I sign up for any other active duty job/reserves I can get it re-classed to Nuke without any issues. He's not BS'ing me is he?

Oh, yeah, that's totally legit, thousands of recruiters totally haven't used the same line to gently caress over the planned military service of tens of thousands of servicemembers.

((At the end of your contract you can reenlist to re-class but it varys from hard to loving impossible to do so during your term depending on your command; don't listen to that bullshit and stick to your guns for the job you want.))

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Torvec posted:

Yes. There is no such thing as a nuke field reservist. If you ship to bootcamp with x job, it is what you will be doing 99% of the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I kinda wish I had joined the Navy instead of the Air Force and gone Nuke

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Due to recent economic hardships, there is an influx of people in the military. A lot more nukes, easy quotas to fill.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thinking of getting out and doing the same job? I just took the POSS test at Comanche Peak. I was the youngest guy there, plenty of chiefs or very old salty guys, and very few non nukes. One guy was an engineer at the plant who wanted to change over for more money.

The POSS is a glorified asvab with traps in it. Nuke traps. You like math? Well we gave you lots of problems, not enough time to do them, and hard ones to waste your time. Apparently if you try doing them you may fail from not doing enough problems.

The first job you go for is NEO, or nuclear equipment operator. Mix an EM with an MM and you got it. After that you can work your way up.

There were 40 people applying for the job and only 12 are going to be picked up. I was the youngest guy there at 27.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Gimcrack posted:

I'm in prototype in NY right now (MARF, enlisted) if anyone has any questions about it.

Former Marf student here as well. As for the people failing prototype: we had about ten enlisted drop from my class (806) due to either sadding out or failing and we had about five-ish officers and one civilian EOOW student fail. So it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

Thinking of getting out and doing the same job? I just took the POSS test at Comanche Peak. I was the youngest guy there, plenty of chiefs or very old salty guys, and very few non nukes. One guy was an engineer at the plant who wanted to change over for more money.

The POSS is a glorified asvab with traps in it. Nuke traps. You like math? Well we gave you lots of problems, not enough time to do them, and hard ones to waste your time. Apparently if you try doing them you may fail from not doing enough problems.

The first job you go for is NEO, or nuclear equipment operator. Mix an EM with an MM and you got it. After that you can work your way up.

There were 40 people applying for the job and only 12 are going to be picked up. I was the youngest guy there at 27.

I was gonna ask how this went, thanks for the info man. Is this pretty much standard for how plants are hiring right now or are they short in areas?

• Locked thread