Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

This is the nature of all goon stories.

Well that and pants-making GBS threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
Wait. How are you guys not having to clean the shitter on the sub? I've got to scrub the toilets at least once a week as part of after watch cleanup.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
There are 4 toilets on board for regular enlisted, the coners clean them every six hours. And by 'clean' I mean 'literally Neverdull to a mirror shine, despite Neverdull having zero antiseptic ability.' The cooks clean the two officer shitters and I forget who gets the goat locker.

Nukes essentially never clean forward of the watertight door, and vice versa. That's not always a good deal.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

genderstomper58 posted:

E: lol I like how all of you're lame stories are you just smugly talking about how much smarter than everyone you are pls kill yourself

u jelly?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

The cooks clean the two officer shitters.

Sounds like a brilliant idea.
"Hurry up and wash that shitter and then make food!" :downs:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Caconym posted:

Sounds like a brilliant idea.
"Hurry up and wash that shitter and then make food!" :downs:

Circle of life

The cooks also do O-Gang's laundry

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Cousarr posted:

Wait. How are you guys not having to clean the shitter on the sub? I've got to scrub the toilets at least once a week as part of after watch cleanup.

Your boat hates you (unless you're a carrier guy but the way you said 'the sub' makes me think you're a sub guy)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sub guys always say "the boat".

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

Sub guys always say "the boat".

plenty of carrier retards called the carrier the boat also heh

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've got a mess of dudes from the Enterprise in my office now, they all call it 'the boat'

Their sea stories are also terrible

Static Dynamics
Feb 7, 2004

We need technology for tomorrow's battlefield, like the laser that sets mile-wide skull-shaped fires.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Circle of life

The cooks also do O-Gang's laundry

After losing half my socks, I tried to reserve time for the JO's to do our own drat laundry. The COB shut me down. I got smart and got a laundry bag to put my laundry in. Then, the CS's just lost the whole bag somehow.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/04/us/navy-cheating-investigation/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

lol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

quote:

Navy officials stressed that the nuclear propulsion systems are not related to nuclear weapons.
Aren't nuclear weapons usually maintained by the kids who failed out of nuke school? :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Geez

Thanks for reminding me to nuke those posts I made in the Current Events thread about cheating :v:

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Well work is going to be really interesting coming up...

White~Mage
Jun 19, 2002
So who was the dude that told? I know one of you know who he is.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The ABC story on this implies the cheat sheat (or the entire test) was done up on someone's home computer, which is beyond stupid.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
Of course something like this would happen as I assume divisional TPO.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Just remember the tired and true training motto "perception is reality"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cousarr posted:

Of course something like this would happen as I assume divisional TPO.

Call on your chief regularly during training to make sure he's "one of the good ones"

Do this when the CO sits in on training to show him your not afraid

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We had the right hand rule for cheating when I went through.

That and one guy who went through did a test once that was entirely underlined just like an answer sheet would be.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
Ket, out of curiosity, did you ever work with MM1 Bobby Moore?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Cant say I do

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008
I just got rejected from nuke because of my nationality. I guess Ill scrub decks and clean shitters for 4 years because apparently I'm a commie spy.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

nacirema posted:

I just got rejected from nuke because of my nationality. I guess Ill scrub decks and clean shitters for 4 years because apparently I'm a commie spy.

Consider it a blessing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

nacirema posted:

Second chances in life do happen. Don't treat this turn as stupidly as your last.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Second chances in life do happen. Don't treat this turn as stupidly as your last.

nacirema
Nov 18, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Please explain. Don't some nukes make swimming pools load of money when they get out in the nuclear power/radiation field?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You make more money getting out earlier and using the GI Bill to get a degree

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Stay in, get an easy rate, take courses while you are in not at a diploma mill, get out, use GI Bill, make money.

You will save your self stress and the desire to kill your self.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

Stay in, get an easy rate, take courses while you are in not at a diploma mill, get out, use GI Bill, make money.

You will save your self stress and the desire to kill your self.

Is there a list of diploma mills somewhere? I imagine phoenix is one.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Edison is a diplomamill a lot of nukes go to for what ever reason. I feel bad when I can't talk them out of going there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education

If you really need to, pick your target diploma. Pick a school that is where you want to end up or near it, that is accredited for this.

Call them or email them and ask them what they would recommend for you to take. They generally have an office of veteran affairs as well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Nukes go to Edison because it's literally "Show mil paperwork, fork over cash, get diploma." Which is also why the paper is worthless.

When I looked, Old Dominion had the most credible program that gave a lot of nuke credit. RPI is another serious school with a program but I don't think they gave much credit. Remember you don't want to burn your GI Bill on a 'nuclear engineering technologies' degree, you want to go for full-fledged engineering.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Any school that offers you more than 12 credits for your military education, regardless of the MOS, AFSC or rate, you need to look it over with serious skepticism.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Any school that offers you more than 12 credits for your military education, regardless of the MOS, AFSC or rate, you need to look it over with serious skepticism.

Ah, I was just wondering because I went to Columbia here on base and pretty much all I need is a math, english, and I tuink like 4 bs electives and I get an associate's in general studies or something. I was looking at chemistry, but none of them except for Fresno state have professors that teach it (which was a red flag for me).

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Nukes go to Edison because it's literally "Show mil paperwork, fork over cash, get diploma." Which is also why the paper is worthless.

When I looked, Old Dominion had the most credible program that gave a lot of nuke credit. RPI is another serious school with a program but I don't think they gave much credit. Remember you don't want to burn your GI Bill on a 'nuclear engineering technologies' degree, you want to go for full-fledged engineering.
ODU also has a good distance learning program for a masters in engineering management, that sailors can even take while underway on a deployed sub; as heavily internet-integrated as things are these days, a couple of my profs have complained how difficult it is designing accredited coursework that can also be done entirely offline.

Though, I have to wonder... if you're in a position to be working on an engineering masters degree... what the gently caress are you doing on a deployed submarine?

grover fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 15, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Storekeep.

Brancer
Feb 15, 2014
Anyone in prototype getting buttfucked right now for this cheating scandal?

I heard life was absolutely miserable in BOTH prototypes now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Was gonna say yeoman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

This.

I went to the accredited one: Excelsior. Even though its accredited, it's still pretty loving worthless. Edison isn't strictly speaking a diploma mill since they make you take a handful of classes but they're almost as bad as one.

Actual classes I had to take to get my BS NET:
Business calculus 1. open note, open book, calculators allowed, unproctored.
Business calculus 2. ditto.
Non-calculus based Physics 1 lab done by writing a lab report on a physics browser game
General Chemistry 1 lab. ditto except browser chemistry game.
A class that was like survey of nuclear reactors for non-engineers.
A class that on material science that was actually pretty good. Not engineering level but a lot of interesting stuff.
Colonial American history (as elective)
Write ~75 page essay on why your experience counts just as much as a regular college then get an A for turning something in. I felt so dirty writing it.

Classes that were accepted for transfer to my regular brick-n-mortar college:
Colonial American history

Edison requires no calculus so its even more of a joke.

Feel free to tell me how much of an idiot I am for wasting effort on this. I seriously regard it as the biggest mistake of my life. PELL GRANTS :argh:

• Locked thread