Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Cousarr posted:

Enjoy the higher rent associated with the race season.

Nukes always looking at the positive side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Going to power school in April. Looking at living downtown. Will I be able to find a 1 bedroom apt with dedicated parking for under $1200?

Conversely if I wanted to live as close to base as possible what are recommended neighborhoods/apartments?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nuke SWO here.

Everybody thinks there is nothing to do outside downtown. If commute is 30 to 40 minutes then I'm cool with it. Right now I have an hour commute each way, so I'm used to it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

The Navy is extremely reactive. Watching CNO and Naval Reactors make the press release from the Pentagon was painful. The top leadership will press hard on nuke school until the publicity dies.

BT

Yeah I'm thinking of living closer to base now. North Charleston is probably a more practical choice. With the cheating scandal does that mean my chances of going to Ballston Spa has increased?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Depending on how quickly you take to classroom instruction I'd recommend as close to Charleston as possible. Civilians and officers aren't mandated hours as far as I can remember, so provided you understand whats going on living in Charleston would be ideal provided you don't have a family or anything. Mount pleasant would be alright if you have kids and need a larger home/yard area/ whatever, but outside of those requirements I would live in Charleston for sure.

Live in goose creek or even base housing cause you will spend so much time at Power School that long commute will get real old real quick. Prototype is even worse. Had guys in my officer power school class who lived downtown and their life was miserable having to wake up at 0430 to beat the traffic or study before a 0700 exam.

Officer do have mandated study hours if your GPA is below 3.0 first 12 weeks and 2.8 latter half. It can be anywhere from 20 to 25 depending on your class director. Most students average 15-16 anyways, so 20 isn't that bad. Prototype is worse if you didn't have to study that much at power school cause it's 12 hours mandatory per day. If you're ahead of the "curve" you can get reduced hours (typically just a couple of hours off) but you will quickly fall behind the curve.

Bottom line: Live closer cause you will spend poo poo ton of hours at school/NPTU.

• Locked thread