Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

KetTarma posted:

what do you want to do?

Downtown naturally has most of the unique stuff to do but the North Charleston area has pretty much every big box retailer/every chain restaurant. Summerville has a small downtown district with a few bars. Goose Creek isnt anything to write home about but it's still like any other town. If I was wanting easy access to downtown, I'd live in West Ashley. In fact, I did that for a year. It was about a 45 minute commute to work and 10 minutes to downtown.

FWIW, 1200 will get you about 800 square feet downtown in the cheap part. You could probably safely bike to the good parts though. Plus you'll pass by the strip clubs along the route! In West Ashley, that'll get you a 3 story townhouse.

Looks like you can get a small 1 bedroom at The Radcliffe House - 61 Vanderhorst Street for 700$/month in the college district of downtown. You'd definitely be looking at an hour commute though since you'll have downtown traffic, 526/26 interchange traffic, north Charleston traffic, and base traffic. The bright side is that you'll be right next to College of Charleston.

Just remember that you might be putting in 14-16 hour days trying to pass nuke school... or you might breeze through with only 9 or 10. Who knows? I would still suggest living in North Charleston since it'll be a lot better quality of life if you end up not being a superstar student. I think the average time spent in the classroom is 12 hours a day but my data is both dated and mainly for enlisted.

If you have any Charleston questions, PM me. I've lived here for 6 years now.

Thanks for this info. I'm not in the navy, but I'm going to go to power school starting in January to work for a defense contractor, and I have no clue where to live.

e: How does it usually go with civilians in power school? Should I expect to be the only civilian in class?

Tom Toddlesworth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Depending on how quickly you take to classroom instruction I'd recommend as close to Charleston as possible. Civilians and officers aren't mandated hours as far as I can remember, so provided you understand whats going on living in Charleston would be ideal provided you don't have a family or anything. Mount pleasant would be alright if you have kids and need a larger home/yard area/ whatever, but outside of those requirements I would live in Charleston for sure.

I've already got a degree in nuclear engineering, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the classroom stuff. Commuting an hour to work every day sounds like a nightmare, but it still might be worth it to live in Charleston. Thanks for all the advice!

• Locked thread