Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
All nukes end up as sea lawyers anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Madurai posted:

Is D1G not there any more?

D1G prototype got decommed in '96

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

moker posted:

Yes, the LARPers fit in fine...its called RC div :xd:

Lazy rear end Rod Pullers

On my boat it was E div that was the anime fiends, RC was just a bunch of drunks

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Don't listen to Antonio. I was over at his neuc just the other day and frankly I wasn't impressed with the security at all. I mean hell, everyone else was in lab coats and I just walked in in a tuxedo and just started shooting the place up with my golden gun. That bitch Antonio just hid under some tanks until after I'd jumped off the dam to escape, but I think the joke's on him cuz Doak said those tanks had some nasty poo poo in em

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've seen $20m elsewhere, $100m seems awful high but maybe they had to buy new maneuvering chairs and that blew the budget

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The red is on the bottom mokes

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah idk they painted ours red on the bottom at least once.

If you look at our grounding pic on wikipedia our underside is red although that was a few years ago

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
02-06, I posted about the grounding in another thread (the hosed up poo poo thread maybe)

I coulda sworn it was black on the bottom when we went into drydock the first time but it got painted red. Spending way too much time google searching it looks like the Virginias get launched with a black underside but when they're in drydock for later stuff they look red bottomed. So maybe they get painted black when they need to look good/scary or maybe specific boats get painted red or maybe it's whatever's in stock I dunno

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Hartford's still outta Groton far as I know, you're thinking of the Hampton

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ChewedFood posted:

I'm senior class at NPS now and I have a few questions:

-Where should I live if I get to go to New York?
-Since I'll be taking grad leave from November 9th-19th, will I not get holiday leave?
-Are there any opportunities to make prototype suck less (I was selected for class leadership so I don't have to stand regular watches, I'm looking for things like this)?

It depends on your lifestyle. I lived right by downtown Saratoga Springs so I could walk to the bars/crawl home and this deffo made the experience better for me. Some guys lived out in the woods right by the site so they could snowmobile in to work, but had zero social life. Some guys packed into houses bunk-bed style like sardines to spend as little of their BAH as possible and save it / blow it on other dumb poo poo.

Most of the places that rent to squids are shitholes, plan time early in your travel leave to go up there and look at as many as possible so you can find a decent one. The place I got was perfect except for alternate-side street parking (a real pain with heavy snow and night shifts)

Note that snowmobile thing - if you're going there during winter time, it snows a loving lot and the plowing at the hours you're heading to/from work is minimal. That 30 minute commute can grow to an hour or more, easy. On at least one occasion it started snowing when I left site and there was drat near a foot down by the time I got home, and 12"+ falls are routine. I had a lifted 4x4 and didn't have issues but my roommates had ricers - and ended up at the other plant on a different shift - and routinely struggled to get there on time. Remember you may not be on shift with your roommates, ensure you have a vehicle which is safe and capable in severe weather, and plan time and equipment to dig yourself out if there's been much precipitation.

As far as making things easier, get ahead of the curve, stay ahead of the curve, and qualify ASAP. Not that different from power school and dealing with hours. Some people are afraid of going in hull, don't be, checkouts are easier and a lot of people learn better looking at the real stuff than reading about it in a cubbyhole.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also not being able to stand watch or do maintenance makes you a buddyfucker. Having a bunch of people who can get poo poo done and done right the first time gives everyone the best poo poo deal possible. Alternately a division full of nub shitbags tends to stay a division of nub shitbags, which rolls around to bite you in the rear end when you're the senior guy and it should be your turn to get the good deal but your senior watch is port-starboard and you can't take leave cuz they can't fill the watchbill.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You can drag rear end all through school and all that can happen is that you get ordered hours. If you give no fucks about this, whatever, it's your life.

Like itsrobbiej said, once you get to prototype, qualifying faster has tangible benefits. I passed final board week 16 or so and the rest was practically paid vacation.

Once you get to the boat, qualifying may not seem like a good deal to you, but the longer you take to qual the more you're actively loving the senior guys. Get your junior in port and at sea watch done ASAP; no one expects you to know poo poo and you'll learn from running drills over and over anyway. You don't have to panic sprint to your senior-in-rate, those you need to understand what's going on, but don't drag rear end either. If I was standing SRO on a poo poo watchbill, for instance, and I had a guy I thought wasn't putting forth sufficient effort you bet that fucker would be in maneuvering every midwatch with me.

The worst worthless fucks are the ones that "accidentally" get left cranking for months, insisting their quals freeze all the while.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

When the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance makes a difference, you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow.

Fortunately, areas that routinely get a lot of snow know how to deal with it and keep most roads clear.

These are generally true statements that no longer apply when you're in the military, especially the nuclear Navy, and you might get cut slack for being a little late if it's a serious blizzard, but calling in and saying "sorry my car can't make it" means one of your schmuck shipmates is going to be dispatched to go get you. Remember, if you don't plan to leave early to account for the weather, it's your fault.

Upstate NY generally did a decent job of clearing the main roads, once the snow stopped coming down, but you still have to get out of your house/driveway/neighborhood. East CT has abysmal snow removal; the roads are so beat up and crowned the plows leave a few inches on top, which tends to melt and then freeze, with the ice then covered by more slush and snow, travelled by CT residents with bald tires and no skill. And there are days where the towns figure it's way too bad out there to run the plows till it calms down, and any san resident is staying home, but guess what, the Navy didn't get the memo.

Stationed in Groton there were at least two occasions that the boat demanded everyone come in in the morning only to tell us at muster that road conditions weren't safe enough to come to work and send everyone but the duty section home. The one time I got my lifted truck stuck was one of these days, where I had parked in what I thought I remembered was a parking lot, but had no visual cues to confirm.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

We hit something like an 80% tempo my first year, then stayed at or above 60% the rest of the time. And when in port, we spent nearly every day there trying to fix our busted rear end, refueled, should have been decommed shitbucket.

loving loved that boat though, in a weird way, like a car with too many miles on the odo that just refused to stop running, but required constant shade tree tricks to keep it going.

This is pretty much all remaining 688s. If you're not broke your rear end is at sea, deployment year or not, and it's been like that for a good while. My first year was 80%+ optempo, that was ten years back and we never even left the Eastern seaboard. I don't know if they're already pushing the VAs like this, but I wouldn't be surprised.

In the end the optempo is far less irritating than the completely retarded poo poo missions that drive that optempo

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

God drat kids these days are spoiled with their RO units!!!

ROs own so hard. We had endless water. Showers every day, consistent laundry once a week and you only had to run the 10K for heavy drills. Owned.

Not having an RO would be like not having an HDR mast and dealing with 40-char familygrams.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The entire engine rooms are classified so even if the equipment was exactly the loving same no one could really come out and say that. They certainly can't say how it's different.

The focus on procedural compliance in operation and the QA efforts involved in maintenance are surpassed only by space program stuff (if then) which you'd never see and would never be worth the time or cost on a non-nuke civilian plant. It's a big cultural difference.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This is just a hunch but I'm going to bet they give you some Motrin and send you back to work

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Charleston is a blast. In fact, with the possible exception of Hawaii (and even that's a maybe) it's a far better and more fun town than any of the other nuke duty stations down the line. So live it up while you can. If you're on standown / grad hold / classup / whatever, just do what you need to do to stay out of trouble and enjoy being paid to do nothing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Being vague deliberately

There was some poo poo scattered around the boat (including up forward) that traditionally belonged to electricians (for maintenance/repair) that on the VAs they initially gave to RC div. There are few things RC division hates more than repairing poo poo for coners (also hated: sunlight, females, showers). Also they rolled the E-div Throttleman watchstation into RC Reactor Operator. But the planned sizes of RC and E div didn't really change. So of course RC was pissed and E loved it.

But, to my understanding, a couple things happened. E div ended up shrinking after all. RC pawned most/all of that forward crap back on E or the coner ETs/FTs (I forget) or whatever. And honestly the RC div nuke stuff is supposed to be sooooo much nicer / less maintenance hassle than a 688 (especially compared to boats that haven't been updated in a while). So a VA should be a way better deal than an old tired 688.

Of course the VAs shouldn't be falling apart just yet, so they're probably seasoning motherfuckers, so there's that to bitch about.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The base whatever housing organization (I forget the formal name) has a list of available apartments/houses/mil-friendly landlords, and there are a ton of them. Go up at the beginning of your transfer leave, check a whole bunch out and pick one. The landlords know when classes come / go and approximately how much housing allowance you get.

Where you live depends on what kind of six-month experience you want. Living right up by base will get you a short commute (nice in winter weather) but you'll be in the boonies. Living closer to Ballston Spa proper gives you a little more to do other than snowmobile / 4x4'ing. Living in / near Saratoga Springs gives you college bars, college girls and the plus / minus of the horse races in summer. You could theoretically go even further out but there's not much point.

E: because of quirks of the area garages aren't going to be terribly common and you may have to settle for a 1 / 1.5 bath. It's for six months, suck it up.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 28, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I had a cheap 4x4 pickup and never had issues. My roommates had slammed ricers and problems all winter. Some people say winter tires will cut it, and they certainly help, but it's rural so plowing isn't very comprehensive. There's nowhere anywhere near that area to drive sporty anyway. There are minor complications with alternate-side parking and snow but they're livable.

If you have roommates, do not assume you will get the same plant or be on the same shift. You may not be able to carpool and you may basically end up never seeing them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I got pretty much my first choice every chance I had. Unfortunately my first choice for first command was a fast boat out of Groton.

To make matters worse what I really wanted was to go to a) a Seawolf and b) the North Pole. I got told "don't ask for the Seawolf boats, they're VIP boats, all you'll do is clean and carry VIPs and never go anywhere cool. Ask for a 688, they have all the fun." I got sent to a new 688i that for a couple reasons was a VIP boat and for a good while all we did was clean and carry VIPs and never go anywhere cool. Turns out there was an open billet on the Connecticut and 6 months after I got to Groton she did a bluenose run.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KetTarma posted:

There is a dude at my last command that was trying to get denuked for sleep apnea and talking it up on facebook...until he did a sleep study and was pronounced completely healthy. Now he's posting non-stop about his anxiety attacks and how stressed he is. I think he's trying to build up a reputation/cover story for when he finally goes sad. Dude has been a nuke on a fast attack for 8 years. Then again, prototype.

No clue why you'd be denuked for it but sleep apnea is automatic 50% disability cash money when you get out, hth. Had a MMCS with it with a CPAP in the goat locker and everything.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We had guys on my boat who would go up next to your rack and whisper your name, all sneaky like. Used to freak me the hell out. Sometimes they'd keep coming by just to gently caress with you until you were out of the rack. The real daring ones would reach in and tickle your feet and poo poo

The guys who would do poo poo like pull the fire alarm and shout FIRE FIRE and then when you were up out of bed and standing around with a fire hose all dazed and poo poo they'd be like 'Haha jk just a drill' were pretty bad but they only did that a few times per week, those birthing whisperer fucks were at you like every 18 hours

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Did you pound him?

At least I got my fair share of warnings and expected things to start sucking. If you guys encouraged me I could not even imagine how horrifying my first trip into the Rickover would have been.

It's not that bad. And besides, if your complaints about being a Navy Nuke revolve around your A/Power school experience you must have really lucked out in the fleet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I suppose my tenses were unclear. If, once you have been to the fleet, you still consider NNPTC to be the major source of your complaints, then you should consider yourself very fortunate. (This will not happen.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

grover posted:

They clearly didn't. Burdened labor rate for a sailor is a real number that I don't have the table handly for offhand, but it's higher than civilian labor.

Though they can freely ignore that because they can make you work unpaid overtime!

They can and they do. But really, what price value can you put on a command-wide sweep if it catches even one sailor who might otherwise one day operate a nuclear power plant HIGH ON BATH SALTS

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The guy who gets burned by NR most tends to be the topside watch. Every now and then they'll give someone grief because the logs haven't been reviewed on time but in general if you haven't straight up abandoned your watchstation or get caught asleep you're fine. Mentioned it before, we had a dude get burned by NR for playing Solitaire while on watch during department training, but he was such a triple shitbag he more than had it coming. I can't remember how real this story was but we used to have a tale of an SRO who'd swapped out with the roving watch to go forward and take a dump (not uncommon) and came back to find NR chilling in Maneuvering with the rover calmly asking his questions. The dude never noticed that the names in the logs and on the uniforms didn't match. Besides, I think I've seen NR in person once (because we were always at sea ofc)

Note, this is in regular in-ports; any time where you have really unusual conditions set, are in dry dock or the yards you best fear NR like the reaper himself

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you're in a condition that requires an overpressure watch, you'll have NR all over you like stink on a cook, because you can't afford to gently caress up, and boats constantly hosed it up. That one thing they tell you never ever to do? Yeah, we did that. We weren't the only boat in squadron to do it, either, and other boats did WAY more hosed up poo poo. Other times we had NR come down and shut down work because we were jacked, and it was a huge hassle but far less so than loving up was.

Ballston Spa Prototype is kind of odd as it is civilian run, they're sort of their own twisted internal Naval Reactors and can absolutely be as strict. I remember I had a civilian shift engineer, good guy, a fat redhead kinda biker dude but knew his science and his plant back and forwards. I think he was standing an EOOW O/I and the electrical operator botches a plant shift and drops a bus. He recovers it, stuff gets normalized and the watch continues, no big deal. A little bit later, one of the big bosses shows up, wants to know why why the guy is still sitting EO and not d/q'ed. The engineer explains that it was an honest mistake and he had confidence in him to have no further issues. The big boss guy thinks about it for a second, D/Q's the EO, D/Q's the eng, no poo poo shouts "Vive La France!" for no good reason and storms off. Because of their shift/overtime pay structure it cost that guy like $20K to get re-qualified.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The worst part isn't that shipyard fucks you over. It's that they don't care. I can't say for sure but it certainly feels like there's no accountability going back to the civilian side.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
My boat indoctrinated me so hard about nonstop cleaning that one day, while doing RC div maintenance that involved pulling pump fuses from the 5S switchboard, I noticed there was a shitton of dust in one of the fuseholders and without thinking reached in to clean it out. My chief heard a pop and a yelp, would not believe I had touched something sharp and I got to spend most of the evening hooked to an EKG down at the base hospital.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
In order to field day underneath the drain pump someone had removed the drain strainer. I know better than to go down into that bilge - it's horrifically gross from drain effluent and real easy to get stuck - but the guy who was down there needed help getting the strainer back on. For reference this thing weighs about 80 pounds. I'm trying to get the bolts back in and the guy loses grip on the strainer and smashes my hand between it and the bulkhead, breaking a finger. Doc is off-hull (of course, it's field day) so my free government medical care consists of putting my finger in some ice water and getting my rear end chewed by my HMCM COB for being on the mess decks (to get said ice water) in my field day greenie. Finally Doc comes back, sends me to the base hospital for x-rays, finger confirmed broken. Unfortunately we're going underway in a day or two and I'm the 6th guy in RC div and we can't support the RT watchbill without me, so I can't get left in, I'm not qualified RO yet and if they put my hand in any sort of cast I can't operate necessary valves on the RT watchstation. So a command decision is made, my x-rays are "lost", Doc fashions up this goofy brace out of about five inches of metal banding and some foam (lasts maybe two days) and off I go for a 5-week-ish underway. The finger, which was never set, turns funky colors and at one point got so cold I was afraid it was going to fall off or something so I slept with it in my mouth to keep it warm.

The Navy never fixed my finger. It still sticks out at a strange angle and has a big obvious fracture line running across it and doesn't bend well. The lesson here is to never ever go into the bilge because poo poo will bite you.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When I went through in 00-01 we had the yellow/green/blue badge thing but it was very slack. I remember after the first two weeks of 10-2's I never had mando hours again through the pipeline. (Well one week of 30-4's due to our chief losing a bet on an IM soccer game but that doesn't count.) A-school PT was twice a week, I usually ended up running it because I was rear end-class leader and I hated PT so it was usually stretching a lot then playing soccer. We had civvy clothes privileges, stay out in town etc almost immediately, I think after week 8 or 10 you had full privileges although I do remember the mechanics got boned somehow because of their short A-school they just delayed some privileges 'till graduation. I think we were going to march to class once as a joke but it rained. In power school, I don't remember if we even had mando PT and pretty much everyone had their own barracks rooms. NNPTC was a pretty good time back then, I actually asked for Ballston Spa because I was getting into too much civilian trouble out in town and wanted a change of pace.

They were getting stricter with incoming classes before I left in jul or so of '01 supposedly because so many of us had hosed it up but whatevs. The stuff I heard of people getting in trouble for (matrix ninjas, taking math books back to the barracks, gangbang rings, endless fraudulent enlistments) really had nothing to do with the privilege systems or not getting enough marching. I get the vibe there were much, much fewer students in the pipe so you didn't spend any appreciable time doing things like rotting on T-track unless you had genuine (clearance etc) problems. I think also it was probably all slacker pre-9/11.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Space Monster posted:

Seems to me that given the energy requirements of new weapons like FELs and Railguns that nuclear powered cruisers/destroyers would be ideal. Tell me why this ignorant goon is wrong.

I think they were originally talking about the Zumwalt being nuke powered, but the idea got scrapped for cost reasons. Basically FEL etc have very high peak energy demands but you're not firing them that often, meanwhile you're stuck with the nuke overhead costs the lifetime of the ship. And it's not particularly more easy or efficient (in the very short term) to get electricity from nuke power than it is from, say, a bigass gas turbine. Obv there are huge endurance advantages with a reactor vice something needing constant refueling but it does little good to have one or two high-endurance ships in an otherwise low-endurance battlegroup.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone who thinks nukes don't get to splash in water has never had to clean the bilge. Also heh sure there's no bell in the nuke pipeline but there is a fat stack of rainbow chits

They're not kidding about that feel when you hand over the SNOB buckle, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I guess rainbow chits don't work any more. It was the method du jour when I went through. Sadpanda has that whole medical overhead to it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
This all may have changed, but when I went through in 2000 I'm p sure you had to take the NFQT to be a nuke. You didn't have to score all that well, though. Even the minimum ASVAB was a joke and you could get waivers, not quite down into cook territory but pretty low. The story went that once you were in boot camp they split the recruits by NFQT scores into 4 quartiles and each quartile got split up about 20/30/50% ET/EM/MM, so the stupid got spread around as evenly as possible.

The idea seemed to be, "get 'em into the pipeline and they'll get filtered out there" and of course each step of the pipeline said "we're a pump, not a filter"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
We had something like that, I forget the wording but the gist was the real reactor radiation was some sort of anti-happiness particle that when it touched happy people would explode into an immediate need to clean something

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'd say the best part of the pipeline is at prototype after you qualify, because there's really no reason for anyone to make you do anything at all other than occasionally show up. Plus you're living out in town and getting paid bank. This assumes you're not going SPU. I was living it up for almost two months, I think I stood two watches and had to stick around for field days but that's about it.

• Locked thread