Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
So I got a 97 on the ASVAB and the Navy recruiter is pushing nuke hard.
My VE+AR+MK+MC=268 and my AR+MK+EI+GS=267 so he says I do not have to take the second test.

Thing is I have an arts degree that has a heavy math emphasis to the 8th grade level and never really thought of myself as a "cutting edge" math and science kind of guy. I told my recruiter this and what he told me is that I obviously am, and that maybe I have never been amazing at math and science because I am just lazy. I mean I would love to be taught all this stuff and it seems that there is a really supportive program in place to make sure that I succeed. I think this thread has prepared me for the reality of what working as a nuke is like.

Do I have a shot or this or is this just an attempt by the recruiter trying to stake a place in the house that Jack built. The fact that I went from being suspicious of the nuke program as a SEAL type wash out attraction, to thinking I have a pretty good shot makes me feel suspect. Obviously you folks do not know me but how much of a connection exists between nuke success and ASVAB scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

moker posted:

You don't really need a science/math background to do well in nuke school....the difficulty isn't the concepts but more the amount of material you're expected to learn. No calculus or anything is involved so much of the math is just algebra and knowing equations to use and how to manipulate them. I'd say you do fine IF you're willing to put the work in. Getting through nuke school isn't some insanely hard thing like the SEAL program so don't let it intimidate you like that.

I knew some guys with 70s on their ASVABs but they did well because they were willing to put in the work and not act like high school jackasses. If you're decently smart I think work effort and maturity level are way more important than be a really smart person

I loving love algebra. That is why I switched my degree to liberal arts is to teach algebra to middle school students. I got lovely grades in college because I let work and my marriage get priority over school. So long as they don't make me spend 30-40 hours a week peeling potatoes or some poo poo on top of the schooling I should be fine.

e: My wife is finishing her masters in structural engineering and I guess what scared me the most was thinking that nuke would be just as horrifyingly difficult.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 11, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

So you have a college degree?
Technically I do have a college degree. The only thing I could ever do with it is go into teaching. It is a Bachelors of Arts in Liberal Arts with a Math Concentration. The next factor to why my degree is worthless is my own drat fault. MY GPA=2.7 Needless to say I am not a very impressive officer candidate and the officer recruiter just sounded like "oh great another one of these". I know its a long shot and probably wont happen but my best shot at getting commissioned would be to get yanked out after one of the nuke schools.

Henry Meowlins posted:

If you're looking to turn 6 years in the Navy into a civilian career paying triple, well, nuke might be the place for you.

I really would not be interested in doing nuke outside the navy. I really want to work as a police officer. I know there is not much overlap in the training but what I want to do is be able to show people who scoff at my grades that I am capable of learning.

MEPS is not until next week so I still have time to tell them to flip the gently caress off with the nuke stuff.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 11, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

Things not to do with a degree.

-Be enlisted.

But I want to be a sea warrior, not some punk kid that shuffles papers with a gold bar on his collar!

Real post: See above to learn about the joys of my degree.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

There are plenty of officers with worse GPAs than you. That's not all they look at. They look at the whole package - IE your character, community service, recommendations, etc.

Well I will give it a shot for sure then. That officer recruiter is getting back to me before MEPS. I just never thought of enlisting in the navy as such a fork up the rear end because I have a couple friends from high school that are in it and both reenlisted and actually enjoy it. I would love to go MA like my buddy but I think I hosed myself by doing so well on the ASVAB.

Henry Meowlins posted:

Second, your chances of getting picked up at school are next to none. Yes, people do get picked up. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if that's your only reason to want to join, that's the wrong drat reason.

Understood.

Henry Meowlins posted:

If you want to be a cop, apply for the damned police academy. Don't sign away a good 4-6 years of your life to do something you might hate when you already know it isn't what you want to do.

In California police academy is backed up with no jobs on the outside. I guess what I am getting from you guys is that if I am going to enlist it needs to be for something that I REALLY enjoy.

Was there any validity to my statement that nuke school could impress employers? I just feel like I have this bright red stamp on my forehead whenever I interview.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

I don't think being a nuke will help your resume more than any other military service unless you're applying for a nuclear job or the person hiring you is a former nuke himself.

With that said, you didn't gently caress yourself with your asvab. Yes, they are going to pressure you to go nuke because that's what they're supposed to do. You are eligible for every single job the Navy has to offer. If enlisting is really what you want to do, demand the job you want. Don't take no guff and don't settle for something you're already skeptical of. Now, the military isn't necessarily taking every person off the street and you may have to wait for the job you actually want, but you can have any job. Demand it! The recruiter is just going to try to shove you into whatever box gets him the biggest brownie points. For you that happens to be nuke. If you want to be a military cop, tell him you want MA and nothing else.

I will. Thanks!

They made it sound like MA was not even an option. I suppose it is the classifier that I need to make my stand to?

Should I not even mention my new hard line stance to the recruiter?

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 11, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I guess what I what I am confused on is at this point, is who allows me to pick my job? Is it the recruiter or the guy at meps? The recruiter seems apprehensive about making a statement anything job related.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

You will actually make your job selection at MEPS.

I sign and swear tomorrow. I am actually pretty excited about nuke because the math involved is my favorite level plus I love the science involved with it. Some day if I am a math teacher I will have one hell of a response for "why do I need to know this?"

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Rrail posted:

Moker was a nuke. Does he seem like a happy guy to you?

What happened to all of these guys saying they wouldn't go anything but nuke? I understand it is going to not be a ton of fun and all, but is it really a bad trade to learn?

e: I have re read this thread a couple of times and am really conflicted. One poster will go from trashing it, to standing up for it. Some posters talk about long days, some posters talk about short days. poo poo man...

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 17, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

I don't think anyone ever said they'd only choose nuke. And yes, life can suck quite a bit. Just re-read this thread to see what you've done to yourself.

I hope it works out for you in all sincerity, but I just wish you had done a little more research into actually finding something you wanted instead of letting yourself get talking into something they wanted you to do. Well, we do need bilge cleaners.

What rate did you pick?

They had to make me take the second test and by the time it was over it was too late for me to enlist (I was ok with this, I need to think). But see I don't want be another stupid kid that walks in and wants to be a sea cop. I'm ok waiting for civilian life for that. I want to do something challanging that I can find interesting. I have a three hour car ride to think about it tomorrow.

I asked the recruiter that was driving me back to my town today how long I had to sign the contract and he said it would only be open for me to read in the office and that I could not take it home to have someone I trust read it. When I looked at him funny he said this to me:"Dont take this the wrong way, but you need the Navy, the Navy does not need you."

I am half scared half excited. I can see how this could blow up royaly in my face. What scares me more is that it is going to make my wife miserable.

Let's see what cool flame titles I get now.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

NAPT is a loving joke. Is that really the level of proficiency it takes to comprehend nuclear reactions? No wonder that guy in Sweden tried it.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Yea, it was pretty easy. Fortunately, ability to reason technically complex tasks using backgrounds math and physical sciences aren't really up there when it comes to day to day job applications.

You got that one right.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Cousarr posted:

It depends on your rate and when the prototypes are classing up. MMs will have long holds (6+ mos atm), wire rates will have shorter holds.

So wait... what do they have you do for the 6 months while you are waiting to go to prototype?

e: Also, what is "the hold"

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

I also find his enrollment in the nuke program hilariously ironic. I was the uber-nerd in school and he was the cool jock. While I never had to study and pulled straight A's he had to buckle down and actually work at good grades. In third grade, I won a state science fair contest because I built a model of a nuclear power plant and could explain what neutron flux and void coefficients were. I took every science class I could in high school and double majored in chemistry and computer science at Purdue. My brother was the typical cool kid jock, and downplayed the intelligence in order to maintain his image. Now I work as a network admin and he is in nuke school, I never thought I'd see that day.

Get a commission and boss your brother around.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

At Nuke school will I be permitted to live off base with my wife? If not how often will I be allowed to head into town to see her?

She has a phone interview coming up for an engineering job for the Navy in a civilian capacity located in Goose Creek. We were wondering if it would be worth her making the move out to South Carolina.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

We have been married for five years as fulltime students with fulltime jobs so we have the limited hang out time thing down. She understands that we will be moving around so really it is going to come down to how permanent of an engineer they are looking for.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I have a lovely BA that qualifies me to teach algebra to middle school kids. I spoke to an officer recruiter and he was not interested. Do I talk to someone else about nuke officer?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Its the gpa that must be the problem then (2.75). I did really good on my oar I got a 54 if I recall correctly. The officer recruiter gave me his number and told me to put a package in after my first semester of nuke school. We will see though. I am just glad my wife can follow me.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Welp, that'll do it.

Yeah, your wife can follow you but she's basically slaving her career ambitions to yours for the short term.

What engineering related job was she offered around Goose Creek?

She has a phone interview for something related to civil engineering, maybe it was a process engineering job. She will be back from the barn in a bit and I will ask.

She wants to go back to California for her career but our state is so hosed that firms are still laying off engineers right now and it is looking like it will take at least a decade for things to turn around out here.

e:Its the entry level position for "interdisciplinary engineering". She says there are like 5 different fields and depending on which one she hopefully gets selected for she will be between gs9-gs11.

According to her the biggest deathblow my enlistment could do to her career would be sticking her in Japan for four years. Honestly though I helped her through her school a lot and I think she feels guilty, so she would not dream of saying no to me in anything I wanted to do.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 1, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Are you volunteering for subs?

No and if you are telling me right now that subs are the only thing that draws nukes there then I am about to smile.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Holy Hell, my wife went on a forum for nuke wives and asked a question. All the nuke wives got excited about a newcomer posting there and invited her to get a verified forum account. So she linked her facebook, got approved and invited to facebook group that all the nuke wives bitch on about their husbands and the navy. Well half the group got pissed she was invited before I finished boot camp and is claiming my wife violated their "security clearance".

She woke me up this morning telling me that I was not kidding about these people. I now have no objection to her moving her horse out and spending as little time with these people as possible.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 14, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Yup. Mine is leery of getting involved in any of that because its basically high school drama from people that are too old for that.

The kicker: It was the mothers of nukes that created the most drama.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/02/ap-goose-creek-nuclear-school-plans-expansion-021612/

quote:

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. — The nuclear power training school at the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek is expanding.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported the school will expand to handle twice as many students each year. The new operation will also have more modern nuclear reactors and improved security.

The facility is one of two Navy nuclear power training schools. The other is in Milton, N.Y.

Each school trains 1,200 students annually. Plans call for Charleston to handle 1,800 students each year by 2022. It also would handle 2,800 students while the New York school is refueled.

Plans call for the replacement of two 1960s-era submarines at Goose Creek with two 1970s-era subs.

Will better manning and training equipment fix a lot of the issues with the nuke program?

When I read this article the first time I could not believe that they are using 70's technology as a training device.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

camino posted:

Most of the fleet is 70's - 80's technology. Thing about it is, when it breaks in the middle of nowhere you have a chance to fix it without having to carry a semiconductor lab on board.

I guess I was picturing that a device responsible for containing fission would have a shorter life than a combustion engine. v:downs:v

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

If you enlist with a degree, you are an idiot. Every waking moment will remind you that you made a mistake. Only in rare circumstances can I recommend enlisting with a degree.

Leadership experience doesn't matter as an officer in the nuclear field. No one will consider respecting you until you're fully qualified anyway. Until then, you're just a Non-Useful Body.

That being said, you may not have the college requirements to join as a nuke officer. Sorry. Talk to an officer recruiter. Don't talk to anyone that says you need to enlist first to {any reason} then get picked up for officer via {any program} because they're just trying to fill their quotas.

Talk to a recruiter, find out if you're even eligible, then contact me on IRC if you're still interested. I'll do my best to talk you out of it because of how loving miserable it is then give you advice if you're still interested.

vvvv - are you super in debt?

Be very careful with officer recruiters. They like to poo poo bag as well.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I'm dumb as well.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I graduate A school tomorrow and would like to share the number one lesson I learned. Give no fucks. There will always be people that try to call you a shitbag no matter how hard you try. The last thing you need to do is try be the super sat sailor that gets noticed for dumb poo poo like shiny boots with a smug look on your face.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 27, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

itsrobbiej posted:

Shiny boots? Nah, I don't care about that. Giving a gently caress about qualifying as soon as possible? I'm all in for that. We are at Week 16 and I just took the 100% exam and passed. Now it's looking like I should be qualified in the next few weeks; about 6 weeks before week 24. I kinda feel like it's the last big hurdle with this pipeline and busting my rear end to get qualified early will pay off in extra time off at the end. "Oh, I just got here and you want me to make a food run? And then go home? Sure!"

Oh I am not referring to poo poo bagging your quals. That stuff is important. Just that there is no point to running around with a boot camp level of "satness". I actually put in a lot more hours than I needed to. I mean not giving a gently caress about people calling you out. They will chew your rear end out one day, and congratulate you the next.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Anyone going to be at the carrier classic tomorrow?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Couple of guys in my section got hit by this last round. They got a fucker that made life difficult during t-track. Thanks for the list Ket, will start on it today.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 27, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

There is a Cookout by the Arby's now. That has definitely made it harder to maintain weight.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

The fact that Cookout is on my way to school does not help me maintain my semi-civilian figure. Oreo mint milkshakes?!?!

Chili on everything.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

There is a guy in my power school class that I have only seen out of his creeper once and that was during a piss test.

Sesame Burgers is rad. If you drink the same beer twice there you are missing out.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

He doesn't post in GiP anymore, but I kind of met belt through the forums. He convinced me that joining the nuke program was a great idea when he was in a-school.

Two years later, I showed up to his ship.

Did you pound him?

At least I got my fair share of warnings and expected things to start sucking. If you guys encouraged me I could not even imagine how horrifying my first trip into the Rickover would have been.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I have had NR explained to me and I can see how fleet will be hard. The Rickover isn't like the most awful thing ever it is just not what you expect. I get a decent GPA and get about a hour of free time a night and go to bed on time it is just rough. I was definitely more miserable as a civilian.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I am saying that this poo poo ain't fun and I know its going to get worse. I am enjoying living in Charleston and yes sleeping in my own bed. I am not looking forward to fleet but as of right now I am still okay with my decision to grind up and snort the red pill.

I don't plan on reenlisting. Until I see fleet and get an underway done I am going to stay on the 6 and out plan.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

genderstomper58 posted:

ya its cool i just misread your post see the edit!!!! :)

Oh ok! HAPPY NUKE BROS. Well Baby nuke...

My SLPO told me that NR would wait until I was standing my first watch jump out with a tie and clip board and then make me cry; and then I would have to post outside of a master chief's office

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2013

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Hobolicious posted:

They aren't too bad. We've only had like 5 mastings in the past 8 months. Although one was for falling asleep on watch. That was funny. He crawled up into some of the overhead down at Charging Station, and fell asleep. Watch Sup finally caught him after like 3 hours of looking for him.

I thought about that one, but it just did not seem worth it for a little attic shuteye.

One of the mastings last week was for a jackass who cheated on a test. The only reason he was caught was because he complained to the person whose test he cheated off of for getting the answer wrong.

He was also a douche bag and wrote a book of all the terrible things one our instructors did in A school on the instructor survey. Instructor actually got in some serious trouble if I recall. Just happy this jackass got his dick caught in the mouse trap this time. I thought that instructor was great and prepared me more for the fleet because now I know to check my flashlights because stranded watch standers will poo poo in them.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

This wasn't MMC made life suck. This was stuff like MMC would tell us dirty jokes and stories about pre-Navy life. You know the stuff that makes class enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Lesson learned: Never trust students to not try to gently caress you over.

We are pretty awful.

• Locked thread