Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Gimcrack posted:

I'm in prototype in NY right now (MARF, enlisted) if anyone has any questions about it.

Former Marf student here as well. As for the people failing prototype: we had about ten enlisted drop from my class (806) due to either sadding out or failing and we had about five-ish officers and one civilian EOOW student fail. So it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Technophile posted:

Just thought this might be helpful to anyone looking to qualify for Nuke, like me.. :downs:

Good luck! Just be careful what you wish for.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just got a nice long talk yesterday from my boat's EDMC about my intentions to get out in two years and persue either college or a career in civilian nuclear power. I'm currently a fully qualified EM and am working and intend to finish both QAI and EWS/EDPO prior to getting out.

Seemingly I have some pretty misguided notions about the availability of plants who'd be willing to start me out in SRO quals even if I get a Supervisory NEC before getting out.

He also made it sound like It'd be difficult to find a part time job to earn some scratch at while going to college full time with the training I've received. I couldn't really think of anything to refute this other than that I've heard of EOG techs moonlighting at hospitals?

Anyone know people who have gotten out recently that have, infact, hit easy street?

Nukeworker.com is a pretty good resource for nuclear related jobs, people there would probably be able to help out a lot.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Protip: get denuked.

Worked for my chief.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Mr. Doom-Baddy posted:

It does suck, but its primarily because I'm sick of my diva classmates. We are in one of the higher GPA classes to come around and they are all cocky as gently caress. It gets old dealing with them all the time. When we get new class organization it'll be a fresh change. I'm also tired of the content we've been learning and ready to get on with Comp.

Hate to break it to you, but it's pretty much going to be the same throughout the pipeline whether it's grades on a test or number of checkouts you got that day.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

MonkeyFit posted:

Thank you. I just found out I'm stuck in indoc for a while longer, so this is the best time to get all my poo poo in order. It's uhh, interesting here. Any good advice other than develop good study habits and keep my uniforms in order?

Make sure to try and fall in with people who study and are pretty squared away. This way you can keep each other honest, and the more sat you are...typically the less bullshit gets thrown your way. I would recommend taking one of each uniform to get pressed and tuck them away for inspections. As for studying, just make sure that you find something that works for you and keep with it. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask.

There's a whole lot of poo poo to deal with at NNPTC, taking the extra time to get decent grades and having a good uniform/BEQ room will save you from a lot of the other bullshit that they could potentially throw at you.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

Im (hopefully) standing my last navy nuclear watch tomorrow. I'm excited :science:

"The Navy was a drill, secure from drill"?

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Perpetual Demise posted:

Totally agree. From my experience being the 'super sat sailor' it just caused more work especially once you got on board your boat. I was the first one qualified on my boat out of my group, and I was consistently given ridiculous amounts of work while my slacking shipmates took their sweet time and did pretty much nothing. If I could have done it again, I would not have tried to get all the quals done ASAP, but then if I could do it again I probably wouldn't have gone subs either. Btw that's not to say that I regret my time on board. I don't

How were your evals compared to the slackers'?

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
So did you go to BM A-School (do they even have one)? If so, was it awesome?

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

genderstomper58 posted:

Oh my lord that would be unbearable

I just have this great mental image of a sea returnee first class in an A-School classroom full of fresh out of boot camp nubs.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

I have heard both extremes.

Remember, you won't be getting the newest gear. You'll be getting the "as designed" gear that you will immediately have to tear out during your first shipyard period for your first planned incremental availability period, woo.

You will also have to deal with everything not working because one of a thousand wires was put in wrong. Also, power range testing is not fun. Trust me.

On the flip side, you really don't have anything to do until your equipment comes online. Then again, I know that some ships will make people stand fake watch at a fake panel for practice. I am not making that up. You will stand the midwatch staring at a cardboard RPCP. I wish I was making that up but I am not.

You haven't lived until you've stood Shutdown Reactor Operator without a reactor or RPCP installed. Been there, done that. I still had logs to take.

I'll one up you and mention us manning a Shutdown Electrical Operator watchbill during dead electric with maneuvering moved outside the boat.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

SEO is just SRO's log & coffee bitch / extra rover anyway. Probably needed you for the DC watchbill.

I was the EDPO during this phase, but it really just turned out to be the command not wanting to put the effort into stationing a phone talker instead. Luckily our logroom yeoman wrote an instruction the command bought off on and made life easier for people.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

How does nuclear officer incentive pay work past the initial obligation? Is it a lump sum bonus for additional obligated years or does it work differently? Is it different for submarine vs surface officers?

For sub officers I'm pretty sure it works like this: You have to qualify Engineer, which happens after you've been an Engineering division officer for >1 year and have your fish. Once you have done that and are near the end of your initial tour you can sign your contract for a maximum of 7 years. The pay is 30k a year and if you sign on for 7 you get an extra payment.

I'm not a sub officer, but I've been kicking around the idea of OCS and asking our JO's about that kind of stuff.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Cousarr posted:

Sub JOs work really long hours and get poo poo on all the time. Make sure it's what you really want to do and you're okay with this.

This is the truth. I've seen carrier enlisted go submarine officer and not be able to hack it because of all the extra work required (submarine enlisted to submarine officer typically have higher success rate, at least in my sample size). The person who is going to see the upper end of that hours scale is usually the CRA (chemistry/radcon officer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
Shipyard sounds badass before you're in it. After the honeymoon phase (dead electric) it becomes the worst, most toxic environment imaginable and people prayed to go underway.

• Locked thread