Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ferretts posted:

So I have orders to a Bangor boat due for refueling next year. I've spoken to returnee staff who've been through similar and the consensus seemed to be "You will want to kill yourself."

My SE, knowing my interests are more in engineering than operations, thought that I might actually benefit more from the shipyard.

My sponsor on the boat mentioned there might be room in another boat's wardroom should I put in for a transfer.

I'm a soon to qualify (plant willing) MARF EOOW student, and I'd appreciate any info/guidance anyone has related to 2+yrs of refueling shipyard duty (bonus points for Bremerton).

The only good place to be on Bremerton is the Stennis.

Other than that, it is quite possibly one of the worst places on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Harmburger posted:

I was thinking about joining the navy nuke program, but then I saw the postings about debt. The whole reason I was thinking about joining the military was primarily financial, but I have an unpaid bill from a semester of college on my credit report. Last I checked it was ~$15,000. Should I expect to not get security clearance?

I dunno, but bring it up before you go to MEPS or Boot Camp. I didn't have any problems getting my clearance, but I let it fly at boot that I was 30gs in the red from college, and they told me to pick again.

I mean, it turned out to be the best thing ever, but YMMV.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

They had to make me take the second test and by the time it was over it was too late for me to enlist (I was ok with this, I need to think). But see I don't want be another stupid kid that walks in and wants to be a sea cop. I'm ok waiting for civilian life for that. I want to do something challanging that I can find interesting. I have a three hour car ride to think about it tomorrow.

I asked the recruiter that was driving me back to my town today how long I had to sign the contract and he said it would only be open for me to read in the office and that I could not take it home to have someone I trust read it. When I looked at him funny he said this to me:"Dont take this the wrong way, but you need the Navy, the Navy does not need you."

I am half scared half excited. I can see how this could blow up royaly in my face. What scares me more is that it is going to make my wife miserable.

Let's see what cool flame titles I get now.

There isn't anything tricky in the contract. 6 years in stone, and then a bunch of random crap about auto promotions.

If you have other options, don't join the Navy. If you want a challenge, go run a marathon.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

NAPT is a loving joke. Is that really the level of proficiency it takes to comprehend nuclear reactions? No wonder that guy in Sweden tried it.

Yea, it was pretty easy. Fortunately, ability to reason technically complex tasks using backgrounds math and physical sciences aren't really up there when it comes to day to day job applications.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So wait... what do they have you do for the 6 months while you are waiting to go to prototype?

e: Also, what is "the hold"

"Base Bitch"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Will someone please tell me what the best case scenario for your typical nuke is, because I don't often see anything remotely resembling being worth reenlisting for. I mean, the money isn't THAT good.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Really? I was going by the last student orders report. It only listed the Vinson as homeported in San Dog

Current Homeports:

Norfolk: Enterprise (decom soon), Lincoln (soonish), Truman, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Bush, Ford
Bremerton: Stennis
Everett: Nimitz (soonish)
San Diego: Vinson, Reagan (although I think Raegan has a Bremerton yard period somewhere in the not too distant future)
Japan: GW

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

All nukes end up as sea lawyers anyway

:chiefsay:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Got my DD214 today. Woopwoop.

:cheers:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

grover posted:

Nealy any car is fine for snow; the most important thing is tires! Snow tires beat the crap off allseasons, and summer tires are outright dangerous. Lazy people (and those in temperate area) use all seasons year round, but in really snowy regions, they'll switch tires spring and fall.

When the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance makes a difference, you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow. Fortunately, areas that routinely get a lot of snow know how to deal with it and keep most roads clear. Remember: all cars have 4 wheel braking! AWD/4WD just help you get into trouble faster. (I've found most people who talk about their giant 4WD SUV saving their rear end are talking about getting unstuck after doing something stupid, as any fwd/rwd with good tires would have performed just as well.). The exception is steel hilly icy secondaries that don't get plo wed.

Driving on snow and ice is a bit different than you're probably used to, so read up on tips and tricks and practice in an empty parking lot and you'll pick it up quick.
Just remember: do not brake, steer or accellerate on ice (VERY light inputs to keep you on the road) and, and just coast and maintain control and then fix your speed/direction when yoyou get to good pavement again.

You are not seriously suggesting that there is not technical superiority in adverse driving conditions with 4WD/AWD.

Yes, people get to comfortable behind their little 4WD badge, but come on now.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ProfessorBooty posted:

We had that law, but with a variation. Because the boat runs on misery the sum of the happiness is always going down, which made it more important to steal happiness from others. Think of it as Happiness Entropy.

Hahahahaha this is fantastic.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I need to read stuff like this every so often. Thanks.

Aren't you married already? There's no reason to try for E-5 other than BAH.

For a single person, on the other hand, E-5 represents something like a 120% pay increase over E-4.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ryand-Smith posted:

Anyone here been on a PCU/newishh ship? How poo poo will it be, compared to something already active, etc?

When I was a newbie, I had this grand idea that being part of a PCU would be good times, even had verbal orders to Makin Island at one point.

In hindsight, do you really want to be the person fixing everything from the breaking in process? I would have to believe the best ships to go through are those that are maybe a deployment into their life cycles that have just gotten out of an Insurv/ORSE thing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

This gets mentioned about this time every year but if you're going to Groton, or Ballston Spa over the winter, having a truck with decent tires and maybe 4x4 isn't a bad idea at all. In a bad winter the snow comes down much faster than it's removed, and depending on where you live snow removal might not happen at all until long after you have to be at work. I don't know if the PNW bases have similar concerns. For Norfolk this isn't an issue.

I bought a 4x4 Tacoma to replace my Camry for the move from Goose Creek to Ballston Spa and it saved my rear end several times that winter and over the course of several Groton ones.

If you live in the PNW bases, and you have to deal with a snowstorm like you'd get in the Northeast, the state would be shut down for the week.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Noeland posted:

Snow was never an issue in the Puget Sound. Never once have I called the snow hotline and heard them call a base opening delay. :(
Up in Ballston Spa, they told us "If you can't drive in this poo poo, call us and we will get you. We're shutting down a month before you graduate and you aren't getting a break."

A year and a half ago there was a foot and a half of snow in the lowlands in 3 days. poo poo was all hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

nacirema posted:

I just got rejected from nuke because of my nationality. I guess Ill scrub decks and clean shitters for 4 years because apparently I'm a commie spy.

Consider it a blessing.

• Locked thread