Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Do people fail prototype? I would imagine 'yes', but in that sense, did there seem to be any correlation between Power school success and Prototype ability? I'm lacking in the former (3.0, good to go :smug: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Moloch posted:

What's the age cutoff for getting into one of these programs? When I was 19 I took the asvab and they were pushing nuke on me, but I was a dumb kid and had my head up my rear end. I'm nearly 26 now, and if my last career option falls through I'd like to go back and try this out.

For officers, the cutoff for nuke is 29. Not sure how it works on the enlisted side.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Torvec posted:

Honestly, this field couldn't be any more different than what I've been working in for the last 5 or so years (Website Development), and that is part of the reason I want to go this route in the Navy (that and I'm tired of being a freelance website developer).

You will be genuinely surprised how many website developers you will run into in your traverses as a nuke. Especially if you get ET, they love that poo poo :haw:

Manawski fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 27, 2010

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
So, concerning Prototype, are there any tips on how not to suck? So far we've heard "You have to work hard" and "It's a completely different game than Power School." Elaboration on those two statements wasn't provided.

Edit: Do you pretty much just have to be there as much as possible in case the event you need a qual for happens to go down?

Manawski fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 3, 2010

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Alright, good to know. It sounds a little bit more up my alley than Power School is. It's pretty goddamn hilarious (frustrating) to see people get 3.8-3.9 on an exam merely for memorizing the notes and making GBS threads them out on exams.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

KetTarma posted:

I want to crush that person.

Unfortunately the one I'm thinking of will be going to NY with me. Hopefully your fellow instructors share the same sentiment.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
"So, sir, what do you think about the idea that pilots get a mandatory eight hours of sleep a night, but the people running the reactor might be working on less than four"

...to a carrier PXO. An O-5 pilot.

PXO's : :nyd: :crossarms:
Instructor : :ughh:
The rest of the class : :aaa:

The next 10 minutes of class went extremely well

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

belt posted:

Seems like a valid question to me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a great question, but it's still one of those sort of things you don't go asking the soon-to-be O-6 CVN XO's in the nice leather chairs in the back of the room when you're an ENS, even if the ENS has 5 ribbons straight outta Oxford :wtc:

The answer did end up boiling down to "We'll worry about being pilots and NFO's and you can worry about getting a warfare qualification"

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Passed Power School comp, my happy rear end is going straight to Prototype now. 90% of the class is going to SOBC, I'm in the 10% that got orders to prototype when they found out that SOBC was full too. They're smug, I'm smug, we're all gonna get raped

Edit: I'll be super-smug if I get put on prototype hold until the next class.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Sandler311 posted:

What the hell is SOBC? What broken thing is that?

Also I passed the POSS test. I find out how I stack up against the other people who passed later. No numbers on how many that failed.

Submarine Officer Basic Course? I'm pretty sure sub school isn't a new development in the training pipeline :confused:

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
I think we sufficiently freaked out the staff today when the whole lot of us bumrushed the Off-crew office with our qual books looking for babby's first checkout.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

KetTarma posted:

Go to the boat.

Will do. I think it's going to end up being a necessity more than an advantage to be always at the boat (and what serves for the forward end of the boat up here). There are MO's have 9-10 quals already and the most of us EOOW students are sitting on one. Of course I hear those dudes coming out of the boxes saying they knocked out 3 checkouts in one session, so that might be where we are loving up.

We're going to have to unfuck ourselves in a hurry before Tuesday and points start counting for something and any edge I get to look better than my fellow EOOWs is greatly appreciated.

Cerekk posted:

How much will having a non-technical degree hurt me in the pipeline?

Belt is right. We had a goddamn Forestry major in our class, and he made it. I had a Physics degree, and it didn't help me in the slightest.

There is a specific Power School way that everything is taught, and the answers are expected to conform with that curriculum. If it doesn't line up perfectly with what appears in your notes, you'll take a hit commensurate with the deviation from the notes, so there's really nothing to fear.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

flux_core posted:

For being inducted or put into the program? I heard you can't even apply until you get a year of calc and phys w/ calc under your bet.

You have to be <29 at the date of commissioning (i.e. when you graduate OCS, or graduate college in the event of NROTC). You might be able to waiver that these days, though, what with the whole 'critically undermanned' business going on.

Also the second point is true, even though it really means gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. They'll teach you calc and phys, and what they teach you is pretty much the end result of calc and phys, not the journey itself.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
200 points ahead of the curve. I am all that is man :smug:

That and it's drat easy to get ahead when you're the only student class and you're one of like 3 dudes willing to put in the hours to actually get checkouts.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Yan Bao Qin posted:

What are the really good horror stories about this place? Been following the DLI thread, and have been wondering if we have anything that really compares to that.

Which place, there are like 4 different places (6 really, but some of them happen at the same geographical location)

I mean, at Power School, all of the -=NUKES OF THE FUTURE=- are living in barracks, so any weirdness that exists will manifest itself in the circle (i.e. ET's LARPing on the circle, guys not being allowed to cross the quarterdeck with their raccoon tails still attached, things like that.) I don't know, it seems like they'll mast someone for sneezing at NNPTC, so people don't try to push the envelope too much, but that's my 3rd deck room-with-a-window perspective.

Prototype? Up in NY, Other than the command flipping out and making everyone come in wearing whites, taking away the chairs, ordering complete silence on the deck, and making the classes stand at POA for an entire lecture, It's pretty normal. I'm at the other prototype, and we're pretty chill.

In other news, Does your power school ranking really affect whether you go to Prototype on shore duty or not? I know you've got to be at least top half as an officer to go back, so I'm hosed out of that, but if it also means that I can't be a Shift Eng no matter how well I do at prototype, I'll start packing my bags for Monterrey now.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
:ohdear:

Well, I do have the ace in the hole that is "I don't have my Master's, and I really need to go to grad school for real" card, but I'm sure they can pull the "We need Shift Eng's and you can get a Masters online, dawg" card. Whatever, I'm still not qualified, it's priorities time.

Does it (i.e. getting checkouts/making progress) get lovely once people go on-crew? I've got a pretty nice cushion built up, but going off of what's going on over at the other plant, EOOWs get megafucked once they go on-crew. I know we're straight hosed as far as practical factors go, but if that means I can have systems done early, then that's not that huge of a deal yet.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Coming on crew for T-week when there's an ORSE coming up has to be the definition of clusterfuck.

They just spread us to the winds after quarters, right before some Chief comes up and deems me the section leader.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
So how much do you expect us to suck on our first watch? I got RO, so I'm probably hosed

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
All of my points today got scratched, cuz I'm a dumb gently caress and can't read the Qual card

This is totally going to throw a wrench in the pool the E students have going for "EOOW most ahead of the curve"

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Training Coordinator took over a checkout cube, I came in and did a bunch of casualty discussions pertaining to Electricians, TC was EWS and RO qualified. EWS can't sign EOOW casualties. We both figured this out the exact moment he signed the last one off and tried to start scanning them.

In my 'defense' I thought the TC was EOOW qualified, but I was so wrong. And then the Shift Eng came in and was like

:v: "Hey, casualties!"
:( "No, sir. It's time to count books"

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

LordNad posted:

That sounds like it sucks. Do you think it was intentional or the guy was so swamped he just didn't realise?

Definitely not intentional. From what I gathered, it used to be such that a Watch Supervisor could sign off on checkouts such as the ones that are in question. Somewhere between then and now, they made a revision to the qual standard that took that power away from him...

The hosed up thing is that it isn't the same for everything across the board. He could have signed off any of my Mechanic stuff as a Watch Sup, even though he is a Reactor Operator. Just not EO casualties, even though that was probably one of the most thorough casualty checkouts I've done yet.

Also how is Post in LF worth more points than FYAD? Everyone knows Post in FYAD is the widowmaker of that section of the quals.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

vacation in kabul posted:

What about dates? And hugging? Kosher yes/no maybe so?

If you ever get the desire to hug a nuke, you have bigger problems than fraternization on your hands

Edit: There were 11 guys who got switched from Charleston to NY this upcoming class. They think their life sucks and is horrible. I personally can't wait to tell them to harden the gently caress up in person. Maybe I'll just show them the progress report that has everyone behind the curve, or the invisible watchbill.

Manawski fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Nah, but we were sort of wondering what happened with the MTS's when that sort of thing happened. That sounds like a total bitch. Up here, Charleston is some sort of parallel universe... everyone wonders and makes wild speculations about what you guys do. Of course, we wonder about what goes on in our own plant, too, so maybe we're loving retarded.

I know we have some sort of snowstorm contingency plan up here for when we get 5 feet of snow and nobody can leave for days on end.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
This place is hilarious.

"Ok, you've got OPRE in two weeks."

o shi

"Sir, you wouldn't happen to know when I will be standing my first EOOW, would you"

"Don't worry about it, we'll make sure it happens."

They are confident that we will be graduating in two months. I am confident that I am hosed. Oh well

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Don't waste your time.

If you've taken the courses required to get into the program, that is sufficient.

Everything else that you need to know, they will teach you, and I can guarantee that what they teach you most likely won't jive with anything you have read out of a book.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You'll notice, as your time in the nuclear navy continues, that anytime you preface a statement with "I was told," people will start to look at you as though they wonder if you are retarded.

There is a reason for this.

We had a civilian instructor going through the program with us that prefaced everything he said with "I was told," so we took advantage of this and started telling him things that were further and further from the truth, and he would always get smacked down in checkouts until we got sat down by the shift eng for telling him that the proper procedure for stopping the shaft was to unbolt the propulsion shaft.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Yan Bao Qin posted:

Hey, I have to ship out to NY soon, there any good resources for a guy to get an apartment there?

Have you tried the housing office? You will be surprised at their competency.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Henry Meowlins posted:

NUPOC is where you'll get paid starting as an E5 for your last couple of years at school. You can get promoted based upon various things. After you graduate, you go to OCS. Upon OCS graduation, you either go to a ship to get SWO qualified and then go to nuke school or if you end up subs, NR, or at NNPS you'll go straight to nuke school and then to work after.

All in all it's a really sweet deal aside from the fact that you'll be a nuke officer and basically hate the next 5-7 years of your life until you resign.

E-6 for NUPOC, but yeah, that's the gist of it. You get a pay raise if you convince another person to make the same mistake as you and get picked up for nuke. Staying in the program is contingent upon keeping your grades up (over 3.3 I think), and doing PT tests.

Mind you, you can also do BDCP programs for other designators too, and with an engineering degree, you qualify for CEC (Seabees). Might be worth a look as well.

quote:

Is going nuke really all that terrible if you already have zero social life and work 10+ hours a day in your civilian job in a cubicle, anyway (assuming you can still hack it through the schooling/aren't too stubborn to learn new things, etc.)?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

moker posted:

Do DILDOs even need degrees related to math/science or is it like the rest of the officers in that they're all history majors? Because I could see the logic behind them using officers with related degrees to teach nuke courses...not that I'm saying they're better at it, but I understand

It's somewhat true, but not completely. For the instructor designator, they're really looking for someone with a technical degree. I know one DIO that is currently teaching Math with a Physics degree, so that's not a reach at all. The other one I know of is teaching HTFF with a Computer Science degree. I think they teach a different subject from their first one after a few years as well, so it's not like they're all classical literature or dance majors, but they might very well be teaching something outside their body of knowledge.

• Locked thread