Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

KetTarma posted:

Oh God! Radiation! Atoms!!!
We're nearly at 6,000 effective "reactor years" of global service with zero accidents.

COUGHTHRESHERCOUGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No one remembers the Scorpion except conspiracy theorists. :(

The Scorpion probably had a pickle blow. Not the best example when it comes to picking on nukes.

(The Thresher didn't blow, but there are theories that one of the controlmen scrammed the reactor at a time when the ship critically needed the power. It cost Rickover a lot of sleep)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I know something similar (interruption in ballast blow) happened to my father on an old diesel sub during sea trials (except one side froze up, they listed to someting insane like 30 degrees before getting out of the water and righting).

I'd be curious to know what the fix was, if I wasn't kinda leery of asking questions about subs online.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

belt posted:

We have our own in house security force. We actually have more security personnel than any other department. They carry around M16's and some sort of pistol. I can't really say much else about our security because that's one of the only things in commercial nuclear power that is classified (well not classified but considered "safeguards information" by the NRC).

If it's Wackenhut, those guys are dicks. Blackwater with bigger beer bellies.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Slippery posted:

Sometimes people just ought to stay in their lane :(

fyi this has never been used as anything other than "yeah I'm hosed up but check the collar, bitch"

• Locked thread