Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf9Uuk9udNA

Just reminding you all of King Crimson on Conan and Bill Burford's matching jacket and drum kit.

And Robert Fripp's entire vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like he’s wearing a snuggie

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I love that Tony Levin has essentially frozen his aging in the early 90s
hell I saw him with Gabriel last year and he looks identical

Adrien Belew much less so... he has traded in the skullet for a baseball cap and kinda just rocks an Ernest Worrel vibe

I haven't had the chance to see Fripp live yet... someday.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I love that Tony Levin has essentially frozen his aging in the early 90s
hell I saw him with Gabriel last year and he looks identical

Adrien Belew much less so... he has traded in the skullet for a baseball cap and kinda just rocks an Ernest Worrel vibe

I haven't had the chance to see Fripp live yet... someday.

Tony takes crazy good care of himself at home and on the road, but I've known him personally since 2008 or so and time isn't sparing anyone. His moustache dye job comes and goes...

Ade is in great physical shape but his hairline is ... a matter of public record.

Robert is doing shows with Toyah here and there in the UK. I asked him a couple years ago if he was doing any Frippertronics and he said he preferred not being booed or losing money.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
We all need some Vitamin C today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrkUiCugQDE

RIP Damo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oh darn

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

algebra testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf9Uuk9udNA

Just reminding you all of King Crimson on Conan and Bill Burford's matching jacket and drum kit.

And Robert Fripp's entire vibe.

I rewatch this every now and then as Dinosaur is one of my favorite King Crimson tracks.

"Ignorance has always been something I excel in, followed by naivety and pride" is pretty much a life motto for me.

Always amusing to see Belew doing his whole thing with Fripp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJe25wA-e8

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Anyone going to Haken's tour this month? I'm two weeks out from crossing them off the show list, after a decade in waiting. Setlist spoiler: Crystallised as a set 1 finisher & Visions encore is the type of poo poo that makes me feral. Can't wait.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 13, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Omnikin posted:

Anyone going to Haken's tour this month? I'm two weeks out from crossing them off the show list, after a decade in waiting. Setlist spoiler: Crystallised as a set 1 finisher & Visions encore is the type of poo poo that makes me feral. Can't wait.

I'm seeing them on Cruise to the Edge next month. I haven't been this excited about a holiday since I can't even remember.

Enjoy the gig!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

coheed is going on tour with primus lol that owns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone listening to the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum comeback? I initially posted in the metal thread about it but this isn't as metal as stuff like Of Natural History outside of certain moments. It's pretty sick though.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

coheed is going on tour with primus lol that owns

As a huge Coheed fan and relatively new Primus enjoyer, this is a dream come true. The show being up in SPAC where I can go chill all day in the attached state park, have a picnic, take a hike & then go get high on the lawn and zonk out to some great music? drat man. Happy birthday to me

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anyone listening to the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum comeback? I initially posted in the metal thread about it but this isn't as metal as stuff like Of Natural History outside of certain moments. It's pretty sick though.

I have tickets for NYC in March but probably need to pass them off... Yeah March 18 in Brooklyn.

Or I'm flying in from Copenhagen for the show. In which case I may have +1 ticket

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 23, 2024

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Henchman of Santa posted:

Metal or not, I think it's a real good balance of heavy songs like The Gift and Burn Into Light and slower stuff like Old Grey Heron and Hush Hush.

The new version of The Gift is also a lot faster than the earlier version which I really like.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Karfagen dropped a new album last month (okay, yeah, I think it's his fifth in 18 months or so) and it's quite good, if Focus-type symphonic prog is your thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkImO5VDEBQ

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 27, 2024

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
some absolute bops on Mildlife's new album which came out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaes7ozjDEw

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

strap on revenge posted:

Leading the first couple minutes of the album with an Inca Roads knockoff is certainly a choice

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Got tickets for Nick Mason's Set The Controls tour for my birthday. Definitely looking forward to that. The Saucerful of Secrets were the first gig I went to after the pandemic and it was great. The set list for this tour is tightly wrapped but Lee Harris has said that it's got some really deep cuts from the early Floyd. The only things we know for sure is that it doesn't have the rumoured outtakes from Dark Side of the Moon, and they won't be playing Scream Thy Last Scream or Careful With That Axe, Eugene as neither track really worked.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Careful with that axe is a great song that I haven’t listened to in years. Thanks for reminding me. As much as I hate later Pink Floyd, I freakin love early PF.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jedit posted:

Got tickets for Nick Mason's Set The Controls tour for my birthday. Definitely looking forward to that. The Saucerful of Secrets were the first gig I went to after the pandemic and it was great. The set list for this tour is tightly wrapped but Lee Harris has said that it's got some really deep cuts from the early Floyd. The only things we know for sure is that it doesn't have the rumoured outtakes from Dark Side of the Moon, and they won't be playing Scream Thy Last Scream or Careful With That Axe, Eugene as neither track really worked.

Got to see them in 2022 in the US and it was really drat good. They played in an old converted theater and the oil projections and retro lighting were so cool
Gary Kemp is also a surprisingly good front man.
It seems like it'd be such an easy thing to accidentally fall into tribute band territory and end up being kinda sad, but it's such a pleasantly tight production. Anyone who likes early floyd should check'em out

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
In a few days, I'm embarking on a plane to Miami, to go on Cruise to the Edge - a prog cruise festival. I don't think I've looked forward to a holiday this much in a very, very long time. Acts of interest to me based on familiarity include Big Big Train, Riverside, Haken, Marillion, Steve Hacket, Jordan Rudess, Adrian Belew and Symphony X (only have The New Mythology Suite by them, which I like but haven't got truly into - nonetheless I'm very down for seing them).

I've heard good things about Airbag and listened to a couple of Flower Kings songs before. My wife just ordered the Flower Kings' latest album, and I just bought Airbag's first. Are there any others by those two groups that people would particularly recommend I listen to before going?

Any other listed acts people would recommend I not miss, and good starting points for them in terms of their catalogues? Any other good Symphony X albums? I want to get as much as I can from this trip!

Line-up is here.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
For Symphony X, I'd recommend checking out The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey and Paradise Lost.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

homewrecker posted:

For Symphony X, I'd recommend checking out The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey and Paradise Lost.

seconding this

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

homewrecker posted:

III

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Would you guys say it's recommended to listen to those in their release order? I'll probably only have time for one or maybe two before the cruise in between exploring other acts.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 2, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

if I had to pick an order I'd go odyssey then Divine Wings then paradise lost

crib notes I'd say:

-first 3 tracks of Divine Wings
-Inferno, Wicked, Accolade II and The Turning off Odyssey
-Set the World on Fire, Domination, and pick any of the last 5 tracks off Paradise Lost

Extra credit is the song The Odyssey, all 24 minutes of it (which they played as an encore the first time I saw them in 2003)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 2, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

strap on revenge posted:

I am so glad there are prog bands that still make actual music videos instead of glorified visualisers and AI-generated garbage.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I picked up two Starcastle records (self-titled and Citadel) at my local record store today, because they were dirt cheap and had really cool artwork. It's basically Yes worship but it's definitely listenable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Got to see them in 2022 in the US and it was really drat good. They played in an old converted theater and the oil projections and retro lighting were so cool
Gary Kemp is also a surprisingly good front man.
It seems like it'd be such an easy thing to accidentally fall into tribute band territory and end up being kinda sad, but it's such a pleasantly tight production. Anyone who likes early floyd should check'em out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPTUIY-Gq-8

The weird thing is that Gary Kemp could easily have been Simon le Bon. The Saucerful had its genesis in part at a wedding reception in 2014 where Nick Mason and Guy Pratt, who had subbed with the Floyd on bass since Momentary Lapse, played a jam session with le Bon and Gary Kemp. When Lee Harris of the Blockheads suggested asking Nick Mason if he'd be interested in coming out of retirement to revisit early Floyd but only pre-Dark Side - as he put it, "you're never more than five yards from someone who can play Comfortably Numb" - Pratt was the first person he ran the idea past. It was Pratt who suggested Kemp, and also former Orb keyboardist Dom Beken with whom he had worked on the Orb side project Transit Kings. (Which, incidentally, is also how Metallic Spheres by The Orb and Dave Gilmour came about.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 3, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Been listening to Airbag's Greatest Show on Earth and the new Flower Kings album Look At You Now.

Really enjoying both; Flower Kings especially. Some really good stuff on both discs. The FKs especially are a great mix of melodic and technical. The Airbag album reminds me a bit of Pink Floyd and earlier Riverside, so that's nice.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

if I had to pick an order I'd go odyssey then Divine Wings then paradise lost

crib notes I'd say:

-first 3 tracks of Divine Wings
-Inferno, Wicked, Accolade II and The Turning off Odyssey
-Set the World on Fire, Domination, and pick any of the last 5 tracks off Paradise Lost

Extra credit is the song The Odyssey, all 24 minutes of it (which they played as an encore the first time I saw them in 2003)

Great specific advice, thank you.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Haken trip report: jeeeeeeez they're really good live.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CornHolio posted:

I picked up two Starcastle records (self-titled and Citadel) at my local record store today, because they were dirt cheap and had really cool artwork. It's basically Yes worship but it's definitely listenable.

yeah Starcastle are great, kind of explores what Yes might've been if they were more pop-oriented and less good at their instruments. make sure you seek out Fountains of Light too, imo their best album - also dirt cheap

they have another one called Reel to Real which is not great but it does feature one of the worst cover photos I've ever seen. like Love Beach-level bad.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
also I want to recommend this:

https://wizrd.bandcamp.com/album/seasons

to me it sounds like Van Halen playing Rush - it totally kicks rear end. very proggy but also so all-over-the-place you almost can't classify it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

JAMOOOL posted:

to me it sounds like Van Halen playing Rush - it totally kicks rear end. very proggy but also so all-over-the-place you almost can't classify it.

That description alone has me interested, I’ll have to check this out

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

This is so undeniably Norwegian. Really big Rumble in Rhodos feel to the vocal production, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Omnikin posted:

As a huge Coheed fan and relatively new Primus enjoyer, this is a dream come true. The show being up in SPAC where I can go chill all day in the attached state park, have a picnic, take a hike & then go get high on the lawn and zonk out to some great music? drat man. Happy birthday to me

rad, i'm also going to the spac show on account of i live 10 minutes from there, though i got indoor seats. if you see some long-curly-haired dude wearing ss neverender 2 gear say hi.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

rad, i'm also going to the spac show on account of i live 10 minutes from there, though i got indoor seats. if you see some long-curly-haired dude wearing ss neverender 2 gear say hi.

Yeah unfortunately outside of some limited examples (the recent Haken show), sitting for a show is so anathema to my enjoyment (I don't think I used that right, but gently caress it) that I will be happily up on the lawn where I can enjoy how I want. Besides, I know the kinda folk at the C&C shows so I'll be in the pit moving and shaking. First time I ever crowdsurfed - as a large man who should not be crowdsurfing - was at a C&C club gig

SPAC gets a bit of a bad rap but never for ONE consistent thing. Tight seating, lovely lawn, terrible parking, bad sound, no good shows, etc., everyone seems to have one kinda nitpicky thing with it that never gets corroborated or confirmed. I love the place, and like I mentioned, I love having the state park attached so we can chill all day before good shows. I'll be up a few weeks before this show for a Kidz Bop Friday night show (IT'S GONNA BE A RAGER) and we're already planning a cookout/hangout in the park with a few families to spend a great day.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Shows at SPAC are always fun even if the shed itself is kinda a dump. It has good energy.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Just starting my third day of Cruise to the Edge and holy poo poo this is the best holiday I've ever been on. A boat full of friendly prog lovers, band members just walking around, prog music everywhere and a generally chilled atmosphere.

Apart from getting official photos with Adrian Belew, Big Big Train, Jordan Rudess, Martin Barre, Riverside and Steve Hackett, making friends with Big Big Train's American gig tuba player and participating in a Q&A with Adrian Belew (I asked him about his time with Zappa), I've mostly and unsurprisingly been overloading on music!

So far I've seen:

Day 1

Symphony X
Stick Men - partial (also, Levin did not have his Chapman stick at the time as it got lost somewhere during embarkation)
The Flower Kings

Day 2

Wishbone Ash - partial
Steve Morse Band - partial
Airbag
Marillion
Haken
Lonely Robot

Thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Symphony X

They rocked very hard and holy poo poo did Russell Allen sound good. Should have warned my wife how heavy they are though so she could wear earplugs. Exacerbated a bit by the gig being inside in a theatre which is the largest indoor venue on the ship but much smaller than what they would usually play. I think their second gig on the pool stage will be less overwhelming, and I will be there for it.

The Flower Kings

Been slowly getting into these guys over the past year and they were enormously enjoyable to watch. They seem like fun guys and their music is an adventure.

My lovely attempt at a panoramic photo of Airbag playing the pool stage, complete with peripheral thumb. They sound like a cross between Riverside and Pink Floyd. Songs are a bit samey, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Marillion

A definite highlight so far. Just brilliant and what a charismatic performer Hogarth is.

Haken

This was their second gig. First night they performed all of Fauna in the main theatre, but I missed it as I was exhausted. Second one on the pool stage was them doing previous stuff. Due to an annoying scheduling conflict I had to leave Marillion two songs before the end to catch some of this. Saw 45 mins of them, which was great, but missed them doing Cockroach King, which was annoying. They sound great live; their first gig in the theatre would have probably been a bit sonically ovewhelming but outdoors it was incredible. They finished with Visions, which was epic.

Lonely Robot

Wasn't familiar with them, but a great gig in one of the smaller indoor venues, about 90 mins after the Marillion gig. A clearly-pretty-drunk-by-this-point Steve Hogarth showed up to do backing vocals on a couple of songs, including the one in the picture.

I'm in heaven and don't want this to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Marillion are so good live. I’m seeing sleepytime gorilla museum next week and starting to get pumped up for it. New album rules.