Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BigFactory posted:

Marillion are so good live. I’m seeing sleepytime gorilla museum next week and starting to get pumped up for it. New album rules.

Fish is on his farewell tour right now, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Oh god, poor TL.

Surely there's more Sticks on that ship. A bass player of mutual acquaintance said "Good time to start playing on his U10".

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 10, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
gently caress me, Mike Portnoy just complimented my Zappa t-shirt. Then started showing me his Zappa tatoos. :rock:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

You'd think that on a prog rock cruise ship there would be a chapman stick in every suitcase.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah you might think so. Was the first day and all a bit chaotic. Someone (not sure who) filled in by improvising on keys - did a creditable job

I think he found the stick now; sadly the second gig coincides with my allotted Steve Hackett performance, so I won't get to see Levin play with his big stick.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jedit posted:

Fish is on his farewell tour right now, apparently.

I never really liked Fish Marillion. It’s one of those things I should probably revisit, but there’s so much other music out there, too. I’m on team H

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ahhh nice I'm glad you enjoyed Symphony X, they do always put on a great live show. Fingers crossed for new music soon

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

gently caress me, Mike Portnoy just complimented my Zappa t-shirt. Then started showing me his Zappa tatoos. :rock:

I met Portnoy on the tour they opened for Zappa Plays Zappa (2nd act: Bigelf, hahahaha look them up) and he complimented my ITCOTCK shirt and said he and Petrucci both had the shirt.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Yeah you might think so. Was the first day and all a bit chaotic. Someone (not sure who) filled in by improvising on keys - did a creditable job

I think he found the stick now; sadly the second gig coincides with my allotted Steve Hackett performance, so I won't get to see Levin play with his big stick.

It would be apropos if it was Jordan Rudess recalling the Night The Keyboard Broke

Update from a mutual friend:
- Tony's Chapman Stick was found on board the next day
- it was Adam Holzman who sat in on keys

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 10, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh yeah, I promised a trip report on the No-Man box set after I listened to it. Which I have. It's five discs in all, comprising three albums, a collection of all the singles and a disc of radio sessions.

Of the three albums, I thought Lovesighs: An Entertainment was the best. It's smooth and a little bit jazzy, and even the weakest tracks flow past readily. It shares a lot of DNA with early Porcupine Tree (the main riff for keystone track Days In The Trees is reused from Mute) but has it's own style. The cover of Donovan's Colours is also pretty neat. I'd definitely recommend it.

Loveblows and Lovecries: A Confession is more of a mixed bag. If I had to describe the overall mood, it would be "an album of Seal covers by the Pet Shop Boys, produced by the Shamen". It reminded me greatly of the latter's album En-Tact, which isn't entirely surprising as they had done a remix for Lovesighs and were friendly. It's not bad by any means, but someone I know described it as the most painfully 90s album they'd ever heard and I can't disagree with that.

Flowermouth is the quintessential non-essential album. That may seem like a strange thing to say when it featured every original member of Porcupine Tree in some capacity (Colin Edwin isn't on the album itself, but played acoustic sessions) plus heavy session work from Robert Fripp. However, Steven Wilson was dividing his attention between No-Man and the Tree and it was obvious that No-Man was increasingly becoming his side project. He'd always been writing tracks and passing some of them on to No-Man as he felt Tim Bowness could provide better vocals and lyrics for the music, but by this point he was definitely keeping all the best ones for himself and passing on the cast-offs.

The singles and sessions discs are mainly for completists, so won't be an incentive for anyone who doesn't like all three albums.

On the whole I'm far from unhappy with the set and I'll certainly revisit it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Heads up

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Steve Vai ruins songs

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

But he gave Devin Townsend an early career boost, so, it's impossible to say if he's bad or not

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

But he gave Devin Townsend an early career boost, so, it's impossible to say if he's bad or not

Ok, definitely bad now

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Ok, definitely bad now

Townsend rules, you fool.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Fish Marillion is best Marillion.

Gothic angsty anti-love songs that sound like an angry Genesis on steroids? :yeshaha:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Gothic angsty anti-love songs that sound like an angry Genesis on steroids? :yeshaha:

Yeah you have to be in the mood for some real hamfisted almost corny levels of angst, but sometimes I'm in that mood and really enjoy me some Misplaced Childhood

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yeah it’s almost unlistenable. But Mk 2 Marillion wrote a few catchy songs. They’re a pretty good pop prog band.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Finally bit the bullet and listened to A View from the Top of the World.

Dream Theater has nothing left in the tank. "Transcending Time" and "Awaken the Master" were my highlights but the album as a whole just didn't have enough musical ideas to go with its length. A big problem was a lot of intros were great but no follow-through.

Luckily I got into Haken recently and they snapped me out of that funk.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BigFactory posted:

Yeah it’s almost unlistenable. But Mk 2 Marillion wrote a few catchy songs. They’re a pretty good pop prog band.
a lot of parallels to late-nineties Anathema here

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Just starting my third day of Cruise to the Edge and holy poo poo this is the best holiday I've ever been on. A boat full of friendly prog lovers, band members just walking around, prog music everywhere and a generally chilled atmosphere.

Apart from getting official photos with Adrian Belew, Big Big Train, Jordan Rudess, Martin Barre, Riverside and Steve Hackett, making friends with Big Big Train's American gig tuba player and participating in a Q&A with Adrian Belew (I asked him about his time with Zappa), I've mostly and unsurprisingly been overloading on music!

So far I've seen:

Day 1

Symphony X
Stick Men - partial (also, Levin did not have his Chapman stick at the time as it got lost somewhere during embarkation)
The Flower Kings

Day 2

Wishbone Ash - partial
Steve Morse Band - partial
Airbag
Marillion
Haken
Lonely Robot

Thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Symphony X

They rocked very hard and holy poo poo did Russell Allen sound good. Should have warned my wife how heavy they are though so she could wear earplugs. Exacerbated a bit by the gig being inside in a theatre which is the largest indoor venue on the ship but much smaller than what they would usually play. I think their second gig on the pool stage will be less overwhelming, and I will be there for it.

The Flower Kings

Been slowly getting into these guys over the past year and they were enormously enjoyable to watch. They seem like fun guys and their music is an adventure.

My lovely attempt at a panoramic photo of Airbag playing the pool stage, complete with peripheral thumb. They sound like a cross between Riverside and Pink Floyd. Songs are a bit samey, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Marillion

A definite highlight so far. Just brilliant and what a charismatic performer Hogarth is.

Haken

This was their second gig. First night they performed all of Fauna in the main theatre, but I missed it as I was exhausted. Second one on the pool stage was them doing previous stuff. Due to an annoying scheduling conflict I had to leave Marillion two songs before the end to catch some of this. Saw 45 mins of them, which was great, but missed them doing Cockroach King, which was annoying. They sound great live; their first gig in the theatre would have probably been a bit sonically ovewhelming but outdoors it was incredible. They finished with Visions, which was epic.

Lonely Robot

Wasn't familiar with them, but a great gig in one of the smaller indoor venues, about 90 mins after the Marillion gig. A clearly-pretty-drunk-by-this-point Steve Hogarth showed up to do backing vocals on a couple of songs, including the one in the picture.

I'm in heaven and don't want this to end.

oh hey that's the same ship that ss neverender 2 was on. i had a blast and highly recommend any coheed fans with a few extra bucks go on neverender 3 in 2025.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Back in England now, jet lagged and ill and came home to a leak in the basement. Yet none of this has brought us done much from the high from this trip. Thought I'd post a few photos and thoughts from days 3-5 of the cruise.

Day 3

Adrian Belew
The Flower Kings - partial
Symphony X - pool stage
Big Big Train

Day 4

Lifesigns
Big Big Train
Steve Hackett
Jordan Rudess

Day 5

Jordan Rudess - pool stage
Riverside
Martin Barre
Adrian Belew - pool stage
Flying Colors

Adrian Belew

Love him - always seems to be having fun, and what a storied career. Played a bunch of stuff from different eras, including of course some Crimson stuff. The second photo is from his pool stage gig, where he brought out Tony Levin for the last song. So in the end I did get to see Tony play with his big stick.

Belew is a bit avant garde for my wife's tastes, but I had so much fun watching him. Great band, too. His bassist is early 20s I think, but she slays. Same with the drummer.

Symphony X on the pool stage

A little easier on the ears hearing them outside. They rocked so goddamn hard, finishing with the Odyssey suite. I watched from the bar balcony on the deck above, chain smoking with the guitarist from Queensrÿche whom I'd just been introduced to, before he hugs me and gives me the devil's horns before heading off. Unreal. And I'm definitely going to pick up more Symphony X stuff - will start with the suggestions given to me upthread.

Big Big Train

A favourite of mine and my wife's, they were one of the best-supported bands generally on the ship. Some people queued to see them for over 3 hours before the concert started. We were very glad of our VIP passes almost every moment on this trip, not least this time.

Some of their arrangements were a bit different as they had to leave one of their guitarists behind, due to logistical costs. They mentioned in their Q&A they were doing a gig some time back in the UK with 13 musicians on stage, and realised that this simply would not work for touring. Visa costs alone were crippling. Still, they had the full brass section, and Rikard took the full weight of all the guitar parts on his shoulders, in between shredding on the keyboard. Love these guys, and was sad when their second gig, which was on the pool stage, started late due to technical difficulties so we missed half of it due to our allotted Steve Hackett show starting.

Lifesigns

Only just started to listen to these guys before the trip, but I'm enjoying them. Really seemed like nice guys, too. Jon Young lives really near me - when I pointed this out to him after the Q&A he suggested we go for a drink, which I will probably try and make happen at some point. He was another one who commented on my Zappa t-shirt at the photo opportunity.

They make very cool, relaxed and melodic prog. Steve Baimbridge on guitar was mesmerising and the bassist was a real onstage presence. Great stuff.

Steve Hackett

I mean, what can you say. Wasn't familiar with his solo stuff but enjoyed it all. Plus he did three songs from Foxtrot - Watcher of the Skies, Can-Utility and the Coastliners and Supper's Ready. Hearing these live, especially Supper's Ready, was an unbelievable experience, and drat did Hackett rip it up on the guitar. Amazing.

Jordan Rudess

Monster keyboard player, of course. Singer was Joe Payne, another guy who hails from near where I live, and seemed incredibly nice when I was introduced to him on the first day by a mutual friend. He sang great; during the second gig on the pool stage they finished with a cover of We Are the Champions, which was done total justice.

Second and third pics were Rudess playing the blues on his Geoshred app; looks like he's doing a line of charlie in the third pic, but no, of course he's playing the app with his face because, why not.

For the finale of the indoors gig, he brought out Mike Portnoy on drums and Haken's Charlie Griffiths on guitar and they performed Dream Theater's The Spirit Carries On. loving magical.

Riverside

One of the bands we were most excited for, and they didn't disappoint. Really cool set, and they were clearly having a ton of fun and were appreciative of the support. Not too much to say other than it was really, really good. Mariusz Duda was a witty and totally commanding presence centre stage; watching him rock his bass guitar was mesmerising. Fantastic show.

Martin Barre

Really rocking gig - great sound and like Hackett age does not seem to have dimished Barre's abilities on the guitar. Generally sounded very heavy, but also articulate. They did a weird cover of Eleanor Rigby which sounded only vaguely like the original but was pretty cool. Also some stuff from Aqualung, which was nice.

The little girl with ear defenders on was the child of another artist (not sure who) who had come along to watch. She spent a lot of the gig dancing, spinning and capering; she also had a little brother of maybe two years old who was bopping away too, and at one point they were dancing together. It was freaking adorable.

Flying Colors

Our very final gig. I bought the second album (Second Degree) just before the trip and listened to it on the plane on the way over, but was basically unfamiliar with their stuff, and so was a bit apprehensive about the last show being stuff we didn't know. However, they blew way past our expectations. Absolutely beautiful combination of prog with some tastefully poppy melodies. The playing was stunning and I think I'm in love with Casey McPherson's voice. The audience singalong on Peaceful Harbor was one of the most stirring I've been a part of, and I think Cosmic Symphony is one of my new favourite songs.

This was a bucket list gig for one our new friends, and I can see why. Apart from the other gig on this cruise, they hadn't played together in five years, and didn't know when they would again after the show we saw. And they were wonderful; listening to Second Degree since has just consolidated my appreciation for them and I'll be picking up the other albums pronto.

---

Overall, this was by far the best holiday I've ever done. We were on cloud 9 the whole time. The people, whether artists or passengers, were universally friendly and the vibe was amazing. We connected with musicians from bands we love and despite being socially awkward goony types we made a ton of new friends from all over the world, some of which I know will become close friends. Even coming home to a leak in our basement didn't really bring us back down. Kids didn't even seem to mind when we floated the idea of leaving them to go again next year, so... gently caress yeah. Bring it on.

Hope this hasn't been too boring - I'm jet lagged and ill, so this post is pretty stream-of-consciousness, and sorry if my photos aren't great. I just had to share about my trip somewhere as it was astoundingly fun.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Supper's Ready

I've seen this one live a couple times (Steve Hackett, the Musical Box) and every time is so special!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Adrian's bassist is Julie Slick, and his drummer is Johnnie deLuca.

For Julie, look up her music on Bandcamp or that of Echotest, a group she's in with my friend Marco Machera. Who you should also look up on Bandcamp.

She's not in her 20s any more, I can vouch since I was at her 30th birthday party concert in Philly, lol.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Must have misremembered or been misinformed about Julie's age then. She seriously slaps, anyway. Will check out her other stuff. Always interested to find cool new tunes.

We got given a flier with code for a Lobate Scarp album, so just downloading that right now.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 15, 2024

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I could've sworn she was supposed to be on a "Side Four" album by Belew, but I've never actually seen it. Maybe it was an abandoned project or something.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Adrian's bassist is Julie Slick, and his drummer is Johnnie deLuca.

For Julie, look up her music on Bandcamp or that of Echotest, a group she's in with my friend Marco Machera. Who you should also look up on Bandcamp.

She's not in her 20s any more, I can vouch since I was at her 30th birthday party concert in Philly, lol.

I'm pretty sure she was playing bass with him and Jerry Harrison on their Remain in Light tour right (the rest of the band was Cool Cool Cool formerly Turkuaz)

But yeah if that was her she loving owned the Tina vibes for that show

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Julie’s been in his trio for ages. She’s really good.

I can’t get over seeing Martin Barre in a tiny room like that. That’s crazy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Our very final gig. I bought the second album (Second Degree) just before the trip and listened to it on the plane on the way over, but was basically unfamiliar with their stuff, and so was a bit apprehensive about the last show being stuff we didn't know. However, they blew way past our expectations. Absolutely beautiful combination of prog with some tastefully poppy melodies. The playing was stunning and I think I'm in love with Casey McPherson's voice. The audience singalong on Peaceful Harbor was one of the most stirring I've been a part of, and I think Cosmic Symphony is one of my new favourite songs.

This was a bucket list gig for one our new friends, and I can see why. Apart from the other gig on this cruise, they hadn't played together in five years, and didn't know when they would again after the show we saw. And they were wonderful; listening to Second Degree since has just consolidated my appreciation for them and I'll be picking up the other albums pronto.

It's actually Second Nature (the third album is Third Degree), but yeah, I love them too. Their first album didn't totally win me over (it felt a little stilted and "dad rock") but they really clicked after that. They fill a good niche of "prog music for people who don't like prog music, but also people who do".

Also note that the first album, "Flying Colors", also has a version called "True Colors" which is mastered more properly.

I think Steve Morse is probably not going to be able to tour as much due to health issues (and his wife's passing) so it's definitely good to see them while you can.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I gave away my Sleepytime Gorilla Museum tickets to a musician friend for tonight's show in Brooklyn. I swore I'd see them if they ever played live again but flying Copenhagen to NYC for one show just was crazy.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

BigFactory posted:

Julie’s been in his trio for ages. She’s really good.

She also reminded him of the other part of my Zappa question during the Q&A when he only answered one bit, which I was grateful for.

(Bit he answered was how working with Zappa affected his development - he went into a long bit about how he learned about the technicalities of working in the business, going on tour etc, basically dry logistical stuff. But also spent tons of time with the family, improvised his Bob Dylan impersonation when working on Flakes, and Frank's like "that's it").

Bit he answered after Julie reminded him was what his favourite Zappa song to perform on was - answer was Peaches En Regalia.

quote:

I can’t get over seeing Martin Barre in a tiny room like that. That’s crazy.

It's a little bigger than it looks in the photo, with seats to the left and right, and also behind where I was, along with a bar. But yeah, it was basically a lounge and your point stands. At one point he actually made a wry comment about being old and thus put into this part of the boat. Hardly ignominious, though; other great acts played in there too.

Was mad how close he was... also the aforementioned frolicking kids. Made it feel like a random show at a school performance or something.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's actually Second Nature (the third album is Third Degree), but yeah, I love them too. Their first album didn't totally win me over (it felt a little stilted and "dad rock") but they really clicked after that. They fill a good niche of "prog music for people who don't like prog music, but also people who do".

Also note that the first album, "Flying Colors", also has a version called "True Colors" which is mastered more properly.

I think Steve Morse is probably not going to be able to tour as much due to health issues (and his wife's passing) so it's definitely good to see them while you can.

The weird thing is I made the same mistake with their album names before and cleared it up in my mind, only to apparently do it again. In my defence I've averaged very little sleep over the last couple of weeks, leaving aside jet lag. I'm also ill as gently caress - I guess unsurprisingly cruise ships can be disease cauldrons.

Yeah, they said they didn't know when they'd be able to tour again, with an implication that who knows, it might be never. Especially now Portnoy's rejoined DT.

Read up on True Colors - sounds interesting but I'll start with the commercial release I ordered and see how we go.

Speaking of versions of things, on the offchance anyone is looking to buy The Flower Kings' Stardust We Are, do not get the 2022 remastered version. There are weird digital glitches resulting in clipping sounds for a lot of it, including on the title track. Basically making it unlistenable. I've had to track down an earlier version on discogs so I can enjoy it properly.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

I gave away my Sleepytime Gorilla Museum tickets to a musician friend for tonight's show in Brooklyn. I swore I'd see them if they ever played live again but flying Copenhagen to NYC for one show just was crazy.

I saw them last night in Boston. The opening act boycotted the venue so SGM played for a little over 2 hours. Basically ran through all the songs they had rehearsed and played El Evil for the first time maybe without much rehearsal. Incredible show.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 19, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BigFactory posted:

The opening act boycotted the venue

Having seen how little opening acts often get paid after venue and booking fees and merch costs etc, this seems like a really good way to not make rent.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Having seen how little opening acts often get paid after venue and booking fees and merch costs etc, this seems like a really good way to not make rent.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/02/29/sinclair-staff-boycott-music-venue-over-fundraising-concert-for-israel

That’s the story behind it.

From talking to people last night, lots of local bands are boycotting the club. The out of town bands aren’t, which makes a little sense.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 19, 2024

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1saKDqEQmBE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5uc3EgzDgU&pp=ygUSVGhlIG9sZCBncmV5IGhlcm9u

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vkgwhc3cSh0&pp=ygUecGhpc2ggbWVhdHN0aWNrIG5ldyB5ZWFyJ3MgZXZl

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Toehider. Very whimsical at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHP_SDCb1-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhIHreTCy8

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Gaspy Conana posted:

Cheetos Magazine? The thread introduced me to them about 5 years ago

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Elephants of Scotland?

I'm admittedly a long-time follower of their frontman's wacky avant-pop project Mailbox, and haven't given EOS a deep run, but I've liked what I've heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

Is Rick Wakeman too cheesy for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mueQyzjSu2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs8ZCTawzuo