Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Oh dear god...that is just wrong. Its one thing to be influenced by someone, its another thing to just blatantly rip someone off. That cut was "Dogs", thru and thru. I thought it was bad when I heard Tool do "46 and 2" because it was just an angrier version of Crimson's "Frame By Frame" but "Time Flies" is just flat out plagiarism.

And to the guy who thought Keith Emerson was a maniac because of the dagger trick, you must not have even heard about the time he burned the American flag onstage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

The idea is if we don't look out the white race will be utterly submerged
yeah i hope the dude played The Nice's America on his radio show- because it was made as an instrumental protest song

also keith emerson did this supposedly 50' above ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSm5IQFaTZA

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
Patriotic songs were much harder to come by than protest stuff, so this is what the playlist for the July 4th segment ended up looking like:

The Nice - America
Kansas - Song For America
Pendragon - The Voyager
Yes - America
Steppenwolf - Monster/Suicide/America
Styx - Suite Madame Blue (live)
Queensr˙che - At 30,000 Ft.
Pain of Salvation - America
Iced Earth - 1776

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TheForgotton posted:

Pain of Salvation - America

Maybe I'm missing something, but that song is far from patriotic.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

I think I said that poorly. I couldn't find a whole lot of patriotic stuff so I went with both viewpoints. Stuff like Song For America and the suite from Steppenwolf aren't very flag-wavey.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Gimmedaroot posted:

Oh dear god...that is just wrong. Its one thing to be influenced by someone, its another thing to just blatantly rip someone off. That cut was "Dogs", thru and thru. I thought it was bad when I heard Tool do "46 and 2" because it was just an angrier version of Crimson's "Frame By Frame" but "Time Flies" is just flat out plagiarism.

And to the guy who thought Keith Emerson was a maniac because of the dagger trick, you must not have even heard about the time he burned the American flag onstage.

Can't it be a homage and not a rip-off? (or both?) It's not like they're trying to pass it off as anything else, they even have 'and after awhile, you realise time flies' or 'you can work on points for style', if you like. The whole song is about childhood, and Animals was the first album the songwriter ever bought.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

It's biting and sarcastic at first but really it's about how the ideal of America was so great and it kinda sucks the direction it's going in now. I'd say that's appropriate, if not patriotic.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

The idea is if we don't look out the white race will be utterly submerged

Gimmedaroot posted:

also Porcupine Tree's "My Ashes" is literally Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter"

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

The Great Aspie posted:

also Porcupine Tree's "My Ashes" is literally Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter"

Not really, it has the same kind of electric piano thing going on for maybe the first 30 or 40 seconds and that's about it. I definitely thought that on my first listen though.

On the other hand, yeah, the Dogs thing is pretty blatant. what the hell steven :cmon:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

acker posted:

Not really, it has the same kind of electric piano thing going on for maybe the first 30 or 40 seconds and that's about it. I definitely thought that on my first listen though.

On the other hand, yeah, the Dogs thing is pretty blatant. what the hell steven :cmon:

Early Porcupine Tree (circa The Sky Moves Sideways) is extremely derivative of Pink Floyd—I'm surprised they're still imitating Floyd, but at least it seems to be limited to a few tracks and not their entire style.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Speaking of derivative groups, I just listened to The Pineapple Thief's latest album Someone Here is Missing and it's probably the closest they've come so far to finding their own sound. They've always been fairly good, mind, just a bit too similar to Radiohead and Porcupine Tree to be very distinct.

The single from it has a pretty catchy chorus. Pretty weird music video though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJxSng0N_4

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
In regards to King Crimson, Red is one of my favorite albums.

I don't have a lot of time to write up full reviews for all of these bands so I'll just post some youtubes of stuff I've been listening to lately.

Admittedly, I am more into prog-metal but I still love me some "classic" prog

Pagan's Mind: An absolutely fantastic Norwegian prog-metal band with a great singer. The song writing is good too. They have a running Stargate theme... hahaha. Their first album wasn't much to talk about, but their second and third (newest) albums are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9SCJZNgls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbBdZpazB0

Andromeda: Another band on the metal-side of prog, but there are still great laidback and melodic sections. Most of the music is written by their guitarist. Great melodies and time/groove changes. All of their albums are great and have a creepy undertone to them.

I recommend starting with their album "II=I" (Two is one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7WHNMv4iUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax0-J-eJggg

The Flower Kings: Probably my favorite current generation progressive band. Lead by Roine Stolt (guitars for Transatlantic), this band pumps out epics like no one else. If you like Yes or Genesis, do yourself a favor and check this band out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly2R6_p0oyU (part 1/3... its a 30 minute song!)

edit: How could I forget? Lately I've been getting into Kevin Gilbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_pczrUug4

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 17, 2010

Eddie Dingle
Nov 4, 2007

Got a weasel teazel my pleazel got a weasel.
Just wanted to plug a few overlooked prog Albums:

Klaatu-Hope

Klaatu was rumored to be a reunited beatles in the late to mid 70s due to the fact that some of the tracks off their first album sound almost exactly like the beatles, as well as having no credits of any kind on the album. As it turns out they are just three dudes from Canada but they managed to churn out at least one masterpiece. Hope is Klaatu's second album and quite a bit different from their other works. Its a concept album with great beatlesque melodies and amazing production values as well as a positive uplifting message. anyone who has never heard it should really give it a chance.

Comus-First Utterance

Im not too sure how to describe this one so I'll let the album cover do most of it for me. Dark, folky, and just plain catchy it's mesmerizing till the last note.

If anyone else knows of some great prog bands then please post em. lets try to keep this thread alive.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've been on a major Zappa kick lately, and anyone who hasn't heard You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vol. 2: The Helsinki Concert absolutely needs to. The band is basically a reduced version of the Roxy & Elsewhere lineup, but they're super tight, and all the disgustingly intricate pieces are performed perfectly and ecstatically.

Also interesting is Philly '76, which I wouldn't recommend to a Zappa neophyte as it's heavily biased toward his slower, blues rock oriented stuff, which I'm generally not too fond of. It's a full show from a very short-lived lineup featuring soul vocalist Lady Bianca (she quit after about a month, allegedly due to abusive audiences), and it's some of the only recorded Zappa material with a female vocalist—she does a drat good rendition of Dirty Love, which is a song I otherwise don't really give a gently caress about. The biggest highlights for me are great early performances of Titties & Beer and City of Tiny Lites that differ substantially from their most familiar renditions. And they also play a surprising amount of Flo & Eddie-era material, if you're into that sort of thing.

Iatethirtybugs posted:

Klaatu-Hope

Klaatu was rumored to be a reunited beatles in the late to mid 70s due to the fact that some of the tracks off their first album sound almost exactly like the beatles, as well as having no credits of any kind on the album. As it turns out they are just three dudes from Canada but they managed to churn out at least one masterpiece. Hope is Klaatu's second album and quite a bit different from their other works. Its a concept album with great beatlesque melodies and amazing production values as well as a positive uplifting message. anyone who has never heard it should really give it a chance.

I think this is their best, but Long Live Politzania might be the most embarrassingly cheesy thing I've ever heard, and this from a band with a song called "Anus of Uranus." Aside from that, it's very pretty, pleasant prog-pop.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 22, 2010

king teh
Jan 30, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Rollersnake posted:

Early Porcupine Tree (circa The Sky Moves Sideways) is extremely derivative of Pink Floyd—I'm surprised they're still imitating Floyd, but at least it seems to be limited to a few tracks and not their entire style.

I don't think anyone can look at Sky Moves Sideways and not see the Pink Floyd parallels, especially the fact that it's structured as an album pretty much exactly like Wish You Were Here. But SMS was a gushy love letter with a fair amount of original music behind it; Time Flies is just...Dogs. There is no mistaking it. The Incident was a disappointment for me, and I liked Fear of a Blank Planet a lot.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

king teh posted:

I don't think anyone can look at Sky Moves Sideways and not see the Pink Floyd parallels, especially the fact that it's structured as an album pretty much exactly like Wish You Were Here. But SMS was a gushy love letter with a fair amount of original music behind it; Time Flies is just...Dogs. There is no mistaking it. The Incident was a disappointment for me, and I liked Fear of a Blank Planet a lot.

I think it's easy for people to point to the structure of the album and just write Sky Moves Sideways off as a Floyd-rip-off, but I don't think they're really all that similar. Okay, Phase II of the title track, but I don't see Floyd ever doing anything like most of Phase I (the start, maybe) or Dislocated Day, and that's almost half of the album there. Prepare Yourself and Moon Touches Your Shoulder recall Floyd but again, I can't really imagine the band actually making that music. Same goes for Moonloop and Stars Die.

Incident, on the other hand... I had no problem with the Dogs/Time Flies thing, and I think both are great, but the Incident was really disappointing, yes. There's probably about four songs I think were worthwhile on it, and two of them are on the second disc.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I've got a phone interview with Dave Brock of Hawkwind coming up tomorrow. I don't know a hell of a lot about the band aside from the Lemmy connection and the fact that they took a poo poo-load of acid back in the day. Any questions you'd like asked?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got introduced to prog through Genesis and have since found it really my kind of music, even as my otherwise eclectic tastes wander over the years. I would highly recommend A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering and especially Seconds Out to other Genesis fans that never gave the Phil Collins era a chance. I actually like the poppish Genesis (for completely different reasons), but the era after Gabriel left with Hackett still on I think I actually their most polished work.

I haven't had a chance to really try out The Mars Volta, having only heard one song of theirs ("The Widow"), but I am interested. I hadn't seen any mention or talk of them here in the thread,so I was curious if anyone had any recommendations or comments.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Namacuix posted:

I got introduced to prog through Genesis and have since found it really my kind of music, even as my otherwise eclectic tastes wander over the years. I would highly recommend A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering and especially Seconds Out to other Genesis fans that never gave the Phil Collins era a chance. I actually like the poppish Genesis (for completely different reasons), but the era after Gabriel left with Hackett still on I think I actually their most polished work.

I haven't had a chance to really try out The Mars Volta, having only heard one song of theirs ("The Widow"), but I am interested. I hadn't seen any mention or talk of them here in the thread,so I was curious if anyone had any recommendations or comments.

De-Loused in the Comatorium is their first album, and most popular. It's maybe their strongest melodically, but more conventional-sounding than anything they did afterward.

If you're into prog, I recommend starting with Frances the Mute, which I still think is their best. Not a single weak track, and the worst thing I can say about it is that some of the dissonant instrumental sections (like the end of The Widow) go on for too long. One of my favorite albums of this past decade.

Amputechture has the loving incredible Day of the Baphomets, in which they delve into a similar sort of manic jazz rock as early King Crimson. It's perhaps the best thing they've ever done, but altogether the album is kind of long-winded and tedious. I like it more now than I did when it came out, though.

The Bedlam in Goliath is their most difficult album. It's very dissonant, and relentlessly heavy from beginning to end with no room to breathe whatsoever. I actually like it quite a bit, but it's a very difficult album to listen to in one sitting.

Octahedron I consider their weakest album. The band described it as an "acoustic" album, which it isn't, but it's quieter and simpler than anything they've done since De-Loused. The problem is that it isn't nearly as strong as De-Loused melodically, so it ends up being pretty forgettable overall.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 22, 2010

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Iatethirtybugs posted:

Comus-First Utterance

Im not too sure how to describe this one so I'll let the album cover do most of it for me. Dark, folky, and just plain catchy it's mesmerizing till the last note.

If anyone else knows of some great prog bands then please post em. lets try to keep this thread alive.

First Utterance is amazing. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have The Sum of No Evil by the Flower Kings and I just can't get into it. I love how upbeat they are. But it seems like they struggle to resolve their motifs.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Black Griffon posted:

So two days ago I sat down and listened to Road Salt One, and I'm pretty loving disappointed. The sound is boring, the songs are weird without being cool and there's no loving metal. Of all the album, the track that I've actually listened to several times is Sisters, and compared to the finale of The Perfect Element, it's not impressive.

Wikipedia has Road Salt Two marked as Progressive Metal (whilst One was Progressive Rock), hopefully that means they're doing a Foo Fighters - In Your Honor thing (disk one is calm, disc two is loud, or the other way around).

Maybe the album just needs to "catch" me, we'll see.

Gotta admit that the album has caught me now. I appreciate the songs much more, although Sleeping Under The Stars is a bit too weird for repeat listens.

Also, I'm going to their show on 10.10 in Oslo. Anyone else heading there?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm willing to give Road Salt the benefit of the doubt until part 2 comes out. Part 1 isn't fantastic, but you can't argue that it's not progressive. It's Daniel Gildenlöw doing bluesy rock with a shanty and some other bits thrown in. My personal highlights are Sisters, which is probably the best track on the album, and Where it Hurts which has some great emotion in the vocals. I find the lyrical content to be a bit juvenile, but it's hard to tell sometimes with PoS where the line is drawn between the concept and the songwriter, so I'll wait until the second part to see if Daniel is just having a sex-obsessed mid-life crisis or whether it's actually got something to do with the concept of the albums.

I do wish that What She Means to Me was a full length song too. 49 seconds is just too short.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

To revive this thread, I shall post the uplifting news that James LaBrie's new album Static Impulse is not only a great listen, it's also proof that restraint is good. Hopefully Petrucci and Rudess will hear it, realize how good music sounds without bizarre patches and hugely distorted solos all over it, and make a good DT album.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Well, since this thread is sort of back, I've been listening to a whole lot of Karnivool's latest Sound Awake ever since I saw them open for Porcupine Tree last month. Sound is in the same general area as Tool, I guess, with some other bands thrown in as influences.

Sample youtubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjvtx3HMUks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbupWH5cqFY

POMAH
Jan 21, 2010

solids2k posted:

I advise any and all progressive rock fans to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Modern prog-rock/metal from Oakland, California reminiscent of the dark epic sound of John Wetton era King Crimson with the quirkiness and multi-instrumentation of Gentle Giant. They get extremely heavy and mostly have aggressive vocals, though I am reluctant to label them as metal. If you have the opportunity to see their theatrical live show; DON'T MISS IT. Best 'show' your money will likely buy. My favorite album of theirs is 'Of Natural History' but all three of their studio albums are fantastic. The song 'The Donkey Headed Adversary of Humanity' is probably as good of a place as any to be introduced to their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksutNW3HFT8

I saw these guys randomly for like ten bucks in DC a few years back and I have to agree...they put on one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Sadly my girlfriend at the time got spooked by the riffraff in the crowd and the antics onstage and asked to leave. We have since broken up.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Stoat posted:

To revive this thread, I shall post the uplifting news that James LaBrie's new album Static Impulse is not only a great listen, it's also proof that restraint is good. Hopefully Petrucci and Rudess will hear it, realize how good music sounds without bizarre patches and hugely distorted solos all over it, and make a good DT album.

Yeah I was actually pretty impressed with this album. Labrie sounds really good on it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Thanks for all the Prog Metal bands you guys have been posting: After listening to Tool and Ayreon, I've been looking for more bands like them.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

LashLightning posted:

Thanks for all the Prog Metal bands you guys have been posting: After listening to Tool and Ayreon, I've been looking for more bands like them.

The creator of Ayreon has like a billion side projects, of which Guilt Machine and Star One are particularly excellent. Check them out if you like Ayreon I guess.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

LashLightning posted:

If you haven't heard them already definitely check out Opeth. They are by far my favorite metal band, and have a really strong progressive feel to them. Also check out Devin Townsend. Check out Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park by Opeth and Synchestra or Terria by Devin Townsend.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

LashLightning posted:

Sort of a repeat of my recs to the other guy (with a few new favorites):

Chimp Spanner -- sort of reminds me of Petrucci's solo stuff http://goo.gl/q4Dag

Cynic -- Focus is prog/death/jazz metal, Traced in Air is mellower but more progressive. These guys are one of my favorites. http://goo.gl/kQXlg

Death -- more tech than prog death metal, but really good if you're into that http://goo.gl/6HK3u

Dream Theater -- I'm sure you've heard of them, but just in case: http://goo.gl/IzHa

Katatonia -- Kind of prog alt/metal http://goo.gl/KTUF and http://goo.gl/NdRMZ

Mastodon -- Sludge prog metal http://goo.gl/gGZMX

Opeth -- Great mix of really proggy 70s with Swedish folk and death metal. Probably my favorite band. Check out Damnation if you don't like death metal, otherwise Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park

Orphaned Land -- Israeli prog/folk/doom metal band. Mabool is by far their best album, and it's a concept album about Noah's Ark, because what's more metal than an angry God crushing the Earth beneath the oceans? http://goo.gl/9uKSL

Pain of Salvation -- all of their albums are concept albums, but not really operas like Ayreon http://goo.gl/t4wud

Protest the Hero -- pretty cool math/prog metal http://goo.gl/5PlaG

Queensryche -- very 80s sounding, but Operation Mindcrime is a pretty essential prog metal concept album http://goo.gl/Suvtk

Shadow Gallery -- kind of Dream Theatery http://goo.gl/OoVBN

Tiamat -- kind of like space-rock meets metal. Wildhoney and A Deeper Kind of Slumber are the only albums of theirs that matter.

BSchlang fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 28, 2010

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Prog metal is absolutely my least favourite thing about the metal genre. I can see why people like it, but I just get nothing from it. But that's mostly because most prog metal bands seem to mistake "progressive" for "overly technical" which is a common mistake.

I'd rather listen to prog.rock or fusion'ish stuff personally.
There was quite a large danish prog/fusion scene in the 60s and 70s which tends to get overlooked for the very good reason that most of it didn't really see widespread release. A couple of labels are re-releasing a lot of it on CD these days though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sLTwJGA5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STVqzhwsc0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31J6Ecv6jpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWBqApV2jOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52bmdwUL8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7DVW8RKyLQ

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Has anyone picked up the BunChakeze album?

I really like it, especially "Handful of Rice".

It's some of the most honest-sounding stuff I've heard in a while.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

MrBling posted:

Prog metal is absolutely my least favourite thing about the metal genre. I can see why people like it, but I just get nothing from it. But that's mostly because most prog metal bands seem to mistake "progressive" for "overly technical" which is a common mistake.

I'd rather listen to prog.rock or fusion'ish stuff personally.
There was quite a large danish prog/fusion scene in the 60s and 70s which tends to get overlooked for the very good reason that most of it didn't really see widespread release. A couple of labels are re-releasing a lot of it on CD these days though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sLTwJGA5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STVqzhwsc0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31J6Ecv6jpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWBqApV2jOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52bmdwUL8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7DVW8RKyLQ

Thanks for these. I'm really digging Culpeper's Orchard in particular. I love music in that proggy hard rock style.

Secret Oyster are unfortunately one of two bands I've seen live during which I've dozed off during the performance. It was an early evening set too, so they have no excuse.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 30, 2010

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Rollersnake posted:

Thanks for these. I'm really digging Culpeper's Orchard in particular. I love music in that proggy hard rock style.

Secret Oyster are unfortunately one of two bands I've seen live during which I've dozed off during the performance. It was an early evening set too, so they have no excuse.

I quite like Secret Oyster, but I suppose they're a bit of an acquired taste.

I almost forgot the best band though!

Ache is a symphonic prog-rock band who wrote what they called a rock ballet in 1970 and it was eventually released as the album "De Homine Urbano".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnIaARS8-wc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twMsZqrcrZc

If you like Hammond organs you're in for a treat.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I've checked Pitchfork twice in the past few months and in both instances they had reviews up for the solo Robert Wyatt material and were giving them their respect.

Awesome.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

MrBling posted:

most prog metal bands seem to mistake "progressive" for "overly technical" which is a common mistake.

I disagree. A lot of the prog-metal recommendations above are as far from overly-technical as you could get within the genre. And even if a band decides that they like the "technical" sound and incorporates that into their music, it isn't a mistake in my opinion. It's a stylistic choice.

Even Dream Theater - which is probably the exact band a lot of people think of when you say "overly-technical" - has a ton of music that doesn't just shred for 7-20 minutes.

For example, this song is from their most lauded early album, Awake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIzPF3BfpQ

Over ten minutes and the only shredding is really brief passages in the solo, which is pretty short considering the length of the song as a whole.

Or you could look at recent Porcupine Tree stuff, which has lately been called progressive metal. No shredding or over-technicality at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qf7S5PDtM

I guess my whole point is progressive metal isn't one-dimensional. If you don't like it, that's cool - I can't stand a lot of vocalists within the genre, myself. But the argument that being technical is bad has always bothered me.

Cool recommendations, by the way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Alexander the Grape posted:

For example, this song is from their most lauded early album, Awake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIzPF3BfpQ

"The Muppets: Ringing of the Bells"?

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

"The Muppets: Ringing of the Bells"?

Ok...

Well, based on Alexander the Grape's description of a 10+ minute song on Awake, I'm guessing he meant Scarred.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

De-Loused in the Comatorium is their first album, and most popular. It's maybe their strongest melodically, but more conventional-sounding than anything they did afterward.

If you're into prog, I recommend starting with Frances the Mute, which I still think is their best. Not a single weak track, and the worst thing I can say about it is that some of the dissonant instrumental sections (like the end of The Widow) go on for too long. One of my favorite albums of this past decade.

Amputechture has the loving incredible Day of the Baphomets, in which they delve into a similar sort of manic jazz rock as early King Crimson. It's perhaps the best thing they've ever done, but altogether the album is kind of long-winded and tedious. I like it more now than I did when it came out, though.

The Bedlam in Goliath is their most difficult album. It's very dissonant, and relentlessly heavy from beginning to end with no room to breathe whatsoever. I actually like it quite a bit, but it's a very difficult album to listen to in one sitting.

Octahedron I consider their weakest album. The band described it as an "acoustic" album, which it isn't, but it's quieter and simpler than anything they've done since De-Loused. The problem is that it isn't nearly as strong as De-Loused melodically, so it ends up being pretty forgettable overall.

I absolutely love The Mars Volta. I personally think Bedlam and Frances are their best efforts. Saw them live and their drummer they had at the time (Tom Pridgen) was amazing, sadly he has left them now.
Has anyone listened to Omar Rodrigez Lopez's solo stuff, it's a mixed bag really but there's a few gems in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Alexander the Grape posted:

I disagree. A lot of the prog-metal recommendations above are as far from overly-technical as you could get within the genre. And even if a band decides that they like the "technical" sound and incorporates that into their music, it isn't a mistake in my opinion. It's a stylistic choice.

Even Dream Theater - which is probably the exact band a lot of people think of when you say "overly-technical" - has a ton of music that doesn't just shred for 7-20 minutes.

Over ten minutes and the only shredding is really brief passages in the solo, which is pretty short considering the length of the song as a whole.

I guess my whole point is progressive metal isn't one-dimensional. If you don't like it, that's cool - I can't stand a lot of vocalists within the genre, myself. But the argument that being technical is bad has always bothered me.

Cool recommendations, by the way.

Maybe it's just that I've only heard the really terribly progmetal. I will freely admit that I've never really looked very hard at the progmetal scene because it never interested. Pretty much all the metal I do listen to is either the psychadelic fuzzy 70s stuff or sloppy/crusty black and death metal which is sort of the antithesis of progmetal. I don't really listen to metal for razorsharp precision and tons of shredding and solos.
It's not even that technicality is bad, it's just that some bands go too far and forget to write actual songs to go with their playing and it just becomes 10 minutes of showcasing how great they are at their instruments.

I basically looked into progmetal when Dream Theater and SymphonyX hit it big and when that wasn't interesting I just sort of skipped it.

Then again, progmetal can be a bit hard to pin down. Does Savatage count as prog metal? I've heard them mentioned as such and them I do like, probably because the Oliva brothers could write good songs. It may have helped them that they set out as a I suppose a regular heavy metal and then gradually went into the whole symphonic/progressive area.