Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His concept album trilogy was weird and questionable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1725532260785385898

Pour one out and spin When Dream And Day Unite on honor

Well, gently caress. Today's just gonna be one of those poo poo days in general I guess.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Bummer, I didn't realize he was that old. I had a passing conversation with him about Frank Zappa outside a random Long Island bar and didn't realize who I was talking to until years later

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Did a prog-rock show last night on the radio.

All 21st Century stuff because what the hell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxDED9oB0Rc

Man, I really need to get this Blu-Ray.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxDED9oB0Rc

Man, I really need to get this Blu-Ray.
Someone needs to put together a supercut of Steven Wilson trying to windmill headbang

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Vulture Culture posted:

Someone needs to put together a supercut of Steven Wilson trying to windmill headbang

The Significant Finger Pointing

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm loving the Claypool Lennon Delirium. Unfortunate that the singer sounds too much like the guy from Tame Impala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZz9kPxM7h4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are you talking about Sean Lennon or Les Claypool

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If there's a way to stop laughing at this, could someone please tell me what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQHqxPvzOI8

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are you talking about Sean Lennon or Les Claypool

the joke is that Tame Impala's Kevin Parker is often accused of sounding almost exactly like John Lennon :smuggo:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Seventh Arrow posted:

the joke is that Tame Impala's Kevin Parker is often accused of sounding almost exactly like John Lennon :smuggo:

"I was speaking to Sean Lennon and he told me I sound like his dad," says Kevin Parker, Tame Impala's leader. "So I guess if anyone's going to tell me I sound like John Lennon I guess he's the one with some sort of authority on it."

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
gonna be DJ'ing a prog night at a local bar in a couple weeks. it's a monthly event and it's usually hosted by this dude from Manchester but he's having surgery and I volunteered to take over. didn't think he'd go for it but the next thing I knew all his gear (which I do not really know how to use) was being loaded into my car. I'm excited to do it! It's pretty fun trying to figure out which tunes can be mixed into each other.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My dad wants to know which mix of Peter Gabriel's I/O is better, and I don't know what to tell him.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Edward Mass posted:

My dad wants to know which mix of Peter Gabriel's I/O is better, and I don't know what to tell him.

Dark

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Oh... my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY9AthRUCQ

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
drat Rock Bottom is just such a beautiful album.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I've often pointed to Rock Bottom as one of the few LPs out there where what was going on in the artist's head is exactly what you hear on the record, idk how to explain it exactly but so few musicians seem to accomplish that. Todd's A Wizard/A True Star is another one.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

in other news...I'm starting to think the greatest prog album ever made might be Wobbler's From Silence to Somewhere. I know there's very little original here, in fact the band doesn't really have it's own distinctive voice in a sense, however this album does manage to remind me of pretty much every great prog record ever made

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

is the live version of The Wall available anywhere anymore? Had it as a teen (early 2000s) and loved it, can't find it ANYWHERE now.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Assuming you're talking about that Is There Anyboy Out There? two disc thing and not the [i[Live in Berlin[/i] that Waters did?

You can still get the CD from Amazon or probably your local record store. I don't think it's on streaming though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i think the most recent release of the ITAOT live record is that it was included in the wall "discovery" box with the remaster efforts from however many years back that was now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finally got Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation.Live.Amsterdam 07/11/22 Blu-Ray and just finished watching it. Holy poo poo, they're still so good live :stwoon:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hatelull posted:

Assuming you're talking about that Is There Anyboy Out There? two disc thing and not the [i[Live in Berlin[/i] that Waters did?

You can still get the CD from Amazon or probably your local record store. I don't think it's on streaming though.

It's on YouTube Music, so it should probably be on other streaming services.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Rageaholic posted:

I finally got Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation.Live.Amsterdam 07/11/22 Blu-Ray and just finished watching it. Holy poo poo, they're still so good live :stwoon:

You must really love hair flipping and Dramatic. Finger. Pointing.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Rageaholic posted:

The setlist is almost exactly the same as when I saw them in NYC (sans I Drive The Hearse).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah. I saw them four days later at their last ever tour gig and it was amazing.

My copy of Saucerful of Secrets: Live at the Roundhouse arrives today. Looking forward to that, I saw them on the Meddle tour and it was another great live show. The way they reworked Echoes to not revolve (sorry) around Rick Wright's keyboards while not dismissing his importance to the track was extremely impressive.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sway Grunt posted:

I consider myself a pretty big prog rock fan, but I know I have big blind spots, this album being one of them. I asked the Alexa to play it this morning, and so it played some of it (which was great) and then a bunch of related stuff, and man, Gong is my new favorite band. And Camel is great too! I need to fill in some of these blind spots.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
New Caligula's Horse is missing something. It's ok.

Sway Grunt posted:

gently caress me this thing is great.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Hell yeah. Just a completely singular, beautiful and moving work.

JAMOOOL posted:

I've often pointed to Rock Bottom as one of the few LPs out there where what was going on in the artist's head is exactly what you hear on the record, idk how to explain it exactly but so few musicians seem to accomplish that.

I feel like I know exactly what you mean while being similarly unable to put a finger on it.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 27, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The setlist is almost exactly the same as when I saw them in NYC (sans I Drive The Hearse).

Hey, I was there too! What a show. 2nd time seeing a weird rock show at Radio City (Primus in 2003)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hey, I was there too! What a show. 2nd time seeing a weird rock show at Radio City (Primus in 2003)

I saw rush at radio city on the tour they were playing all the cover songs. Was a good one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I saw rush at radio city on the tour they were playing all the cover songs. Was a good one.

Related to both of our shows, I saw Primus a couple years ago in Asbury Park when they were covering A Farewell to Kings!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

BigFactory posted:

One benefit of my teen years growing up in Toronto was Rush concerts at Maple Leaf Gardens. So many.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I tend to not remember things very well but getting to see them at R40 in Vancouver when they played Losing It will be something that will be burned into my brain until I die.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I caught the Geddy book tour and it sounds like he wants to make more music, but who knows. They did a photo montage leading up to the start, starting with pics of Geddy as a kid and going through the career. A lot of it was childhood/teenage years, and then a ton of super early Rush photos, so you were sitting there for a while before the first picture of Neil, and it was this headshot of him as a young guy and this enormous smile on his face, and the entire audience went “awwww” in unison. 800-1000 people. A moving picture.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I think we'll definitely see Geddy and Alex making music together at some point again. Whether they call it Rush or not is definitely up for debate, but we will hear something from them.

I've been listening to a lot of synth era Rush lately. Power Windows is such a great album that I slept on for way too long.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nightmare Cinema posted:

New Caligula's Horse is missing something. It's ok.
The first and last tracks are definite winners; the middle I need to listen to a few more times to really get. Still, it's new Horse, and that's always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My No-Man box set arrived. I will trip report when I get the chance.