Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Nobody Interesting posted:

Alright well have ordered Starless. Thanks for the input, it's one I've completely skipped over and was a bit surprised to hear that it was so well received for some reason.

I'm still not sure what I really think of Discipline. I like Talking Heads, but I like Talking Heads because they're Talking Heads. King Crimson pulling the same punches is a bit jarring. Also really did not appreciate before that Discipline came after a 7 year break. That's a really long time, poo poo.

You'll notice in the liner notes that Starless and Bible Black is mostly a live album. The Great Deceiver, Lament, Night Watch (after the 'shine' intro), are the studio tracks. The others are live tracks, which is why I love it so much. It has a bit of overdubbing, and you can find them in various live comps. The last track "Fracture" is probably my favorite King Crimson song. Its so dark and evil, complex but doesn't tire you out while listening. Your jaw will hit the floor when you hear that very fast riff from Fripp in the middle of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
So it looks like June 17th will be the release date of two Steve Wilson stereo/5.1 remixes: Jethro Tull's A Passion Play, and ELP's Brain Salad Surgery.

I also checked Burning Shed's website, and they already have Selling England By The Pound available on blu ray in stereo and 5.1 (not done by Steve Wilson). More pricey than the usual releases:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/5419/

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
If the live album "Space Ritual" or Steve Wilson's re-mix of "Warriors on the Edge of Time" doesn't do it for you, I really don't see the point of getting into Hawkwind. I would go with Space Ritual first, or I would give them the sweet spot for a 5.1 demonstration of WotEoT if I were to convert someone into Hawkwind.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Nobody Interesting posted:

If I was looking to convert someone I'd take them to a live show. I think it's enough to just like their albums for what they are, but Hawkwind live is something special. Even if Dave Brock will be 73 when I see them next, they'll still rock hard.

There is truth to this. I saw Nik Turner's Space Ritual tour in the mid 90s. My friends were there to see Sleep (which blew me away), and I told them to stick around for Nik Turner's version of Hawkwind with Helios Creed on guitar. They were stunned, and I got them to hear the musical connection with Lemmy. The light show was fantastic as well: a full on visual assault.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Henchman of Santa posted:

In that vein, I did a triple take when I was listening to Gentle Giant's debut and realized that Funny Ways was sampled on Madvillainy.

How's this:

A few years ago, De La Soul sampled "Ritual" from Topographic oceans. I flipped when I heard that. The bouncy "la la la la" that Jon sings after the intro.

e: all I want is the 5.1 mix of Division Bell. I don't want all the extra stuff. Tull already got me with Aqualung, and I don't put this album on that level. Just release the blu ray by itself, people! jeez...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I can't believe how amazing the setlist is so far. I saw the Thrak tour in 95 and the short 2008 tour, but I'm loving the older tracks and newer folks. Got a ticket for the Saturday night show in NYC, sitting in the same row I sat in 2008(4th)!

I just hope this time they will professionally record the shows. A blu ray should be a no brainer.

BTW, if any KC fans have never checked out 21st Century Schizoid Band, do so. The dvd from a 2002 Japanese tour introduces Jakko to the fold for the first time. He sings lead and plays with Mel Collins, Michael Giles, Ian McDonald, and Peter Giles. They cover the Peter Sinfield era from In the Court... thru Islands. They also perform some McDonald and Giles tracks. Well worth it if you can find it.

I hope no one has a harsh trip. One dude I saw in 2008 sitting in front of me looked pretty freaked out before the show.

And again I look forward to it being very loud. I know I lost some hearing after the Thrak concert, and I've heard bands as loud as Ministry. The 'old goat' as Fripp calls himself will make you deaf. I poo poo you not.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Rollersnake posted:

Ladies of the Road is loving embarrassing, but that didn't stop them from playing it constantly the first time around and, much later naming a compilation album after it. Though I suppose the odds of that getting performed without Boz are slim to none.

I wouldn't mind them dragging out Formentera Lady, though, and the other two songs are good but have never been performed live. Though neither has Happy Family, so anything's possible, I guess.

The 21st Century Schizoid Band performed Formentera Lady and Ladies of the Road. With Jakko in the current lineup, it can be seen retroactively as a KC Projekct. jakko sang lead, Ian McDonald, Peter and Michael Giles, and Mel Collins were in that band. Sounded pretty good. I don't see where the Islands songs would sound all that different with Fripp on guitar.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Cory and Trevor posted:

Also confirmed: Unfortunately, No DVD for the 2014 tour.

I'm glad that I saw them in NYC. I expected it to be decent, but not as amazing as it turned out to be. I saw the 2008 show, and it was like a limp version of the 1995 Thrak show (still great, and my seat allowed me to see Fripp hiding behind his amp the entire time, and smiling!)

But the Sept 20 show was just a revelation. I have a feeling they will do what they always do: film it live in Japan next year and release that. 4 of the five concert dvds I have of them are from Japan, the other from Shepards Bush in London.

At the 1995 show, they had been together touring and recording for over a year with the double trio. 2008 was a bit rough, but this one would have to be my ideal KC lineup since I was a baby when they broke up in the seventies. And I absolutely want a new album. The song left off of the tour box from the Jackzyc/Collins/Fripp Projekct sounded like vintage Crimson rather than the laid back stuff on the album release.

Now just waiting for Relayer in 5.1, and nervous as hell about The Endless River.

Its about time Genesis got some decent Blu Ray audio releases out. I'll buy up through Wind and Wuthering and be happy.

And kudos to who brought up Hendrix. I love the radio promos that they play on the documentary: The world's biggest progressive rock band!" Progressive, not prog.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Rust Martialis posted:

Seeing them play it in person three times was better :)

40 minutes is not enough, unless they are saving up for something. why so short? glad I saw them on the recent tour. I was speechless after the show.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Allen Wren posted:

goddammit, 40 minutes is a totally acceptable length of vinyl, it shouldn't be a mini album or what the gently caress ever

calm the gently caress down, junior. I don't listen to vinyl, and I want as much of the show as I saw which was more than 40 minutes. There was not a weak moment. Its a live album, and they have tapes.

The actual 3 new tracks they are working on are new songs. That'd be a fine ep. But the live album should be longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Noise Machine posted:

Holy gently caress, the King Crimson setlist from tonight. Talk about stepping up your loving game:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2015/waterside-theatre-aylesbury-england-bf77d5e.html

That is pretty much last year's setlist, with the exception of the addition of Easy Money, The Court of the Crimson King, and Epitaph. That's because they played two tracks from Scarcity of Miracles, which were better than the album. Last year's US tour was loving mind blowing. They weren't as tight as the Thrak show I saw in 95, but they had been playing together for over a year at that point as well. Last year they were still in the first month of their tour, but it was still amazing. The 2008 brief tour proved it was time to turn the page on the Belew years. The current lineup has mellotrons, and the third time seeing drummer/keyboardist Bill Reiflin after seeing him in Ministry and REM in the 90s.

I can't wait to hear the new stuff with the three drummers since Gavin was the only drummer on the Scarcity of Miracles album. Its nice to see a band of that caliber in a venue made for, you know, live music...theaters that fit 2500 people with great acoustics. The 3 times I've seen them were always like that, and so much nicer than the big Yes and Pink Floyd monster shows I've seen. You could hear a loving pin drop during the quiet moments, and there were NO smartphones blocking my view.

As for ABWH, seeing that show was worth it because I was getting into KC at the same time...must have been because of that Bruford guy I liked so much. I remembered thinking: "wait, Yes?? As in, the "Owner of a Lonely Band"? That song was worn out in the 80s, and to hear Close to the Edge for the first time, from ABWH live, was incredible to say the least. And with Tony Levin from KC on bass? If you gotta replace Squire, Levin is hard to argue against.

When the Union tour came around two years later, the crowd was divided between ABWH and Trevor Rabin fans. The Rabin fans got the wind knocked out of them when the entire lineup played "Awaken". Those 15 minute long songs didn't seem so weird anymore. The fact that the Talk tour flopped was very telling...when everyone found out Bruford, Wakeman and Howe weren't coming back, fans overall, including all of the Rabin fans at the Union show, stayed at home. Empty seats at the Philly Spectrum, known for their Yes fanatics? I was pissed about the return of the 80s lineup because I wanted to hear a TRUE Yes 8-man collaboration on album, but happy to hear Bruford had rejoined Crimson and I'd finally get to see them. So that Thrak box set is gonna get some serious play from me when that poo poo comes out.

Anyone with the slightest chance of seeing this current King Crimson, don't hesitate. I'm jealous even tho I'm one of the fortunate few who saw them last year. They're that good.