Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I've been absolutely obsessed with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It's my favorite Genesis album and its not even close. Are there other bands I should check out for that mid-70's Genesis kind of vibe?

I like how there is a slickness and touch of Jazz fusion in those albums. Folky/classical inspired stuff doesn't turn me off but I'm just way more into the sounds on TLLDoB, Trick of The Tale and Duke. I listen to Camel too and I guess they have some stuff like that in the late 70's.

I'm decently well versed in old school prog so I don't need any recommendations for Yes stuff. Basically if Brufford played in a band you can assume I have listened to their entire discography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Bruford Levin Upper Extremities?

Hell yeah. Love David Torn.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Gong's Camembert Electrique is an album I feel shares some DNA with that era of Genesis. Namely the often-unpredictable song structures (while still being songs) + hyper-britishness. Some of Flying Teapot as well, though I'm not as into their jammier side which this trilogy of albums has lots of. "Radio Gnome Invisible" is a good litmus track for them I think.

You might also try Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets or Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy which also have silliness and adventurous composition. I think those two records are massively overlooked by Genesis fans. Phil even contributes drums. (Also Eno did a few sound treatments on Lamb.)

Not really Lamb-esque but:
Eno's Another Green World has one foot in ambient music but the track St. Elmo's Fire features killer guitar by Robert Fripp and if you're a prog nerd you owe it to yourself to listen to it. Probably my fave Fripp solo anywhere.

Not sure if Gong was what I was looking for but they are definitely fun! I listened to some Caembert Electrique and also the song Flying Teapot. The Brian Eno stuff is a good recommendation. I'm already familiar with those albums but I should listen again. St. Elmo's Fire is probably my favorite Fripper Ripper next to The Nightwatch.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'll assume you're well versed in both U.K. albums then.

Spock's Beard's Snow /// Marillion's Brave /// Saga's In Transit /// Twelfth Night's Live & Let Live hits a similar spot.

Also Zappa's late-70's period.
I'll check all these out. Only band I've listened to out of these are Marillion and I think only the album Fugazi. Which Zappa's should I listen to? I've heard a good bunch of his stuff growing up but its been a while since i've listened to him except for "We're Only In It For The Money" and "Freak Out"

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'll assume you're well versed in both U.K. albums then.

Spock's Beard's Snow /// Marillion's Brave /// Saga's In Transit /// Twelfth Night's Live & Let Live hits a similar spot.

Also Zappa's late-70's period.

I checked out Saga last night but I couldn't remember what album was recommended so I went with Silent Knight. That was really fun. It reminded me a lot of Sparks when all the synth arpeggios and high vocals, but it also had that dramatic yet funky AOR sound like Toto or Foreigner. I'm going to be checking out their other albums.