Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Eh, Pain of Salvation has had another love/emotion album due for a while, though Road Salt still isn't as good as remedy lane. Some good melodies, but I'm just going to hold out for part 2 and hope it has some heavier stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The new Haken ablum, Visions, has leaked. Amazingly, it so far seems to be at least as good as Aquarius. They seem to be channeling Dream Theater pretty hard (a little overboard at times), and the album seems to have a theme really similar to Metropolis pt II.

2011 has been an insane year for prog metal so far. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Redemption, and a bunch of solid releases by smaller name groups.

What other notable stuff is coming up soon? I'm hoping for releases by Andromeda, Circus Maximus, Animals as Leaders, and Adagio.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Bump for the new Circus Maximus album. Sounds like they listened to nothing but Dream Theater's last three albums while writing most of this. Not quite sure if that's good or bad yet.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Trees and Squids posted:

Haken's new album The Mountain is incredible. I've been a big fan of these guys since Aquarius and this is easily their best work.

I'm convinced that Haken is an insidious conspiracy to make prog metal fans to shift to prog rock and ultimately pop. They're really, really good at mixing them all, but this time they're leaning much further from the metal that was strong in the first two albums, and it seems that the songs are simpler in structure now. It's definitely a strong album, but I'm not really happy about the change.

Also does anyone know what's going on with Pain of Salvation? Have they said anything about a new album?

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 8, 2013

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

RDreamer posted:

They're doing an acoustic studio album combined with DVD release soon.

Eh, I was hoping they'd return to doing more heavily produced material by now. But I guess it sort of makes sense after what happened to their lineup.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Misogynist posted:

Pain of Salvation used to be one of my favorite bands, but on repeat listens, man, their old stuff really hasn't aged very well. Remedy Lane is drat near a perfect album, and half of Be was excellent, but nowadays I'm considering them flukes in an otherwise really disappointing catalogue.

Their material got steadily better up until Scarsick, which was meh. Then they obviously made a conscious decision to change to a more raw, underproduced style. That's certainly not a fluke. I don't think they've lost their creative talent, and I actually like the road salt albums a lot. We'll probably just have to wait until Daniel decides to change styles again.

I think I only really started to love PoS once I started to read the lyrics in depth. That's why I really enjoy One Hour By the Concrete Lake and the Road Salt stuff. If you only pay attention to the music itself then yeah it's not nearly as appealing.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 10, 2013

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The new PoS is a nice blend of their old and new stuff. But its emotional content is easily on par with anything from their entire catalog. If anything it's even more effective because its themes are things that everybody has to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

algebra testes posted:

Remedy Lane, yes ;). It, despite clearly being a concept album and dicking about with wack time signatures and polyrhythms is probably the least overtly proggy of all their stuff. It's also one of the few albums of theirs that I can engage with in more than an intellectual way. Also two thirds of the songs on the album have distinct personalities that I can actually recall and not just a whole bunch of samey prog stuff. And I'll be blunt there are probably a few legitimate hooks on that album which I really dig. And finally, when they do do something intellectual it actually comes in service of the music and not a "hey look how cool we are" kinda way.

I mean having said that, you may still not like it, but for those reasons it's my favourite album.

I don't hold the rest of the early stuff in high regard, and I haven't listened to them in ages. My memory of One Hour By The Concrete Lake is it's an example of everything I dislike about PoS in one album: dispassionate and intellectual music and subject matter. But man, New Years Eve is still one of my favourite songs of theirs.
PoS is the one prog band that actually justifies their concept albums. A lot of their stuff sounds super pretentious until you realize that they're not just playing random goofy instruments or writing lyrics about god. They develop their themes deeply, both with music and lyrics, and they form very coherent albums. The only exception I think is The Perfect Element, which had a really loose concept, but also had some of their best musical moments.