Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Speaking of Steven Wilson...

quote:

The new album by Steven Wilson and band “The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)” will be released on Kscope on 25th February. The album was written between January-July and recorded in Los Angeles in September with Steven’s current band line up of Guthrie Govan – lead guitar, Nick Beggs – bass guitar, Marco Minnemann – drums, Adam Holzman – keyboards, Theo Travis – saxophone / flute and engineered by legendary producer/engineer Alan Parsons.

The 6 tracks on the album are based on stories of the supernatural and the deluxe 4 disc edition comes in the form of a 128 page hardback book containing lyrics and ghost stories, illustrated by Hajo Mueller. There will also be stand alone double vinyl, CD and Blu-Ray editions. Pre-orders for the limited deluxe edition will start soon, while the tour to promote the album starts on 1st March in Europe, and will continue throughout the rest of the year visiting many other countries, with many dates yet to be announced.

Track listing:
1. Luminol (12.10)
2. Drive Home (7.37)
3. The Holy Drinker (10.13)
4. The Pin Drop (5.03)
5. The Watchmaker (11.43)
6. The Raven that Refused to Sing (7.57)

So excited for this, his band lineup is wicked here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nihil morari posted:

Portnoy isn't in the band anymore. He took his alcohol guilt somewhere else.

To The Winery Dogs. :laugh:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Misogynist posted:

From the billing I'm assuming this is the lovely Geoff Tate Queensryche and not the Todd La Torre Queensryche that people actually pay money to see?

It's the actual Queensryche with Todd La Torre, not GT's cover band.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Slur posted:

I'm planning to pick up the album myself, but only after here's more than just snippets of songs or a one-minute teaser; a full single would be nice to listen to before I consider it.

You're in luck, he released the title track last week!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

got a link? i can only find the teaser.

It's on iTunes, people keep uploading it to YouTube though, just search for videos updated in the last 24 hours and something should pop up.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The new Steven Wilson album is really drat good. It feels a lot more like Porcupine Tree than his last two albums, with some cool jazzy and trip-hop influence.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

I love PT more as well, but I really love Insurgentes (like it's one of my top albums ever) and Raven was one of the better albums of the last few years. Grace for Drowning and this new one have disappointed, hopefully the next one will be good for me again

I think Raven is easily the worst of his solo albums. The other three are basically on the same level to me and Raven is a step below. Drive Home and the title track are the ones that really do it for me on Raven, the other tracks are more self indulgent than I like my SW to be.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I used to really like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree when I was 14

Porcupine Tree are still good, DT is borderline unlistenable

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy moly new Disillusion stuff is actually happening

https://youtu.be/4AZaunKwXAE

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

PoS is the one prog band that actually justifies their concept albums. A lot of their stuff sounds super pretentious until you realize that they're not just playing random goofy instruments or writing lyrics about god.

Except for BE, a super pretentious album with random goofy instruments and lyrics about God

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

geoff taint

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

Inspired by news of a new live album by DT, I went ahead and gave it a listen. Newer stuff is not great. Scalding hot take, I know. Scenes however is still really fun to listen to and has well written songs. I could just be old and out of touch?

Distance Over Time and A Dramatic Turn of Events are both pretty good. The s/t isn't great and The Astonishing is just bad

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

adding a +1 to the new Riverside album being their best probably since ADHD but goddamn those lyrics are awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

new Haken is maybe their best yet, really incredible stuff.