Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I didn't see another thread discussing this elaborate and diverse genre of rock, so I figured I'd start one up. If there already is a place talking about prog (modern or classic), my apologies. I'm far from an expert on the subject and my goal is to learn more about it and pull others into the world of flutes, changing time signatures, ten minute long instrumentals, and old British guys.

Recently, I've been binging on "In the Court of the Crimson King" and I wanted more of it. I'm familiar with bands like Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult, but have only just become aware of acts like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Once I've grown tired of "In the Court", where should I look next?

Edit:
I thought of a couple of things I wanted to add to "govern" the thread. From what I've read, the genre makes elitists out of everyone, but I don't really want this to devolve into arguments over what is or is not "progressive". If you think it's interesting and fits into the genre, feel free to mention it. The worst that can happen is that we listen to it and don't like it. Also, prog has a ton of sub and hybrid genres. If you want to talk about Opeth, please keep it in the context of prog and save the headbanging chat for the metal thread.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheForgotton posted:

I feel like I should mention Emerson, Lake & Palmer, but only side one from Tarkus.

Not that Wikipedia is anything to go by, but ELP are supposed to have several highly acclaimed albums. Why do you only recommend half of Tarkus?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Been listening to Red. It's awesome, but I think he slows down a little bit too much towards the end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Rollersnake posted:

Listen to the version of Starless on the rerelease of USA. It absolutely blows away the studio version, with perhaps the most passionate playing I've ever heard from Fripp.

I'm always hesitant to get live albums because even when a band is great live, the album rarely conveys that. King Crimson live is good though?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm really curious what the Storm Corrosion project is going to sound like. I'm guessing it's going to lean way more on the side of prog than on metal.

Speaking of Opeth, I just saw them in Taipei and they were amazing as usual. I'm not quite sure the Taipei audience was prepared for the set they got. Basically everyone was loudly shouting for songs from Blackwater Park during the entire first half of the show. Mikael actually had to remind the audience that he was only going to be playing songs on the set list.