Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Have any of you heard of North Atlantic Oscillation? They're on the kscope label, home of Anathema, Pineapple Thief, and some of Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree's material. They have a somewhat unique sound that I can only describe as a shoegaze-sounding OSI. Their debut, Grappling Hooks, is a pretty solid release and I can imagine them getting better with the next release.

Here's their Myspace with track samples and such: http://www.myspace.com/naoband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Looks like Yes replaced their now former Yes-cover band singer with a new Yes-cover band singer:

quote:

YES Recruit New Singer

Prog rock band YES were forced to cancel the last 3 shows of their European Tour in December due to the illness of lead vocalist Benoit David who has still not recovered. To avoid disappointing their fans on the forthcoming Australasian leg of their world tour, they have found a replacement singer.

Jon Davison will join YES as lead vocalist for the upcoming dates in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Indonesia, and Hawaii. YES really appreciate Jon Davison joining them for this leg of the tour and are sure this arrangement will satisfy all YES fans.

At this point, they should just give up. It's beyond embarrassing.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Well, Fire Make Thunder by OSI is out. So far I've only listened to it a couple of times but there's nothing really bad on the album. I really enjoyed Invisible Men and Bieg Chief II. Wind Won't Howl would have been awesome too if Radiologue hadn't been on the last album. Like most prog albums it will take me a few listens to figure out what I really like and what I don't, but so far it feels like a very consistent album.

The new OSI is great, and I agree, it feels very consistent throughout, and flows very well. Jim Matheo's playing sounds a bit different than the last album, especially when he's not playing anything heavy, and Kevin Moore is excellent as always.

Has anyone checked out the new Flying Colors self titled that also came out today? It has Neal Morse, Portnoy, Steve Morse, Dave LaRue, and the singer from the pop rock band Alpha Rev, and it's one of the best things Portnoy has played on in quite some time. It's seriously worth checking out. Bits of prog here and there, but the whole thing is just incredibly melodic and strong throughout.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
From what I can remember, he said something to the effect of "Dream Theater is not the kind of music I'd consider progressive, it's soulless noodling" or something of the sort, which enraged at the Theater fans. Years later, Portnoy got him to record an "apology" statement, which he then put on an awful track on the worst DT album.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Haha, what song is this? I kind of gave up on Dream Theater after Octavarium aside from the remainder of the Twelve Steps suite.

It's the slow track from the 12-steps suite, Repentance. There's a bunch of prog musicians reciting "apologies" in the track, and you can really make out SW's part, mainly because it sounds like such a phoned in, bullshit apology to begin with.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
I've heard the whole Storm Corrosion album and Drag Ropes sums up the album well - very mellow with dark, ambient sounding parts that don't really go anywhere. It's not bad, but it's not something that blew me away or something I'd want to listen to unless I was in the mood for background music that never really bothers me.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

DukAmok posted:

From a while back but I just saw this post. I saw them in LA, it was rather underwhelming, but it was mainly because their sound and mix was awful. The bass completely overwhelmed everything else, couldn't make out any other parts aside from drums. Seemed like they were having a blast though, Portnoy came out for a song and so did Danny Carey from Tool for some reason.

Wait, what? Portnoy was at a recent DT show? How was that not news?

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I got my copy of the Steven Wilson remaster of Close to the Edge today. Sounds loving incredible, and I can't wait to check out the 5.1 version. Hot drat!

Did you order from Burning Shed? What comes with the cd/blu ray? Is it the original mix remastered plus the SW remix, or the SW remix on disc and blu?

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Got tickets to see Steven Wilson in Portland this June. I'm so ridiculously excited to finally see him perform.

Have US dates been announced anywhere? Ticketmaster tells me nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Holy christ that singing was terrible!