Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Duke is a great Genesis album. Anyone who thinks the departure of Peter Gabriel instantly made Genesis go astray gets ignored by me pretty quickly.

I think on all Genesis albums the songs written together tend to be the better ones, but it's quite interesting to look at which songs Phil wrote by himself on the later albums, as they're usually the stinkers (like the aforementioned "Misunderstanding").

I also think it's silly to argue that Genesis "stopped" being progressive at any point - sure they started making more mainstream music, but then so did Peter Gabriel and a lot of the other "prog" bands. Even on the last two Genesis albums when they had completely "sold out" there's tracks like "Driving the Last Spike", "Dreaming While You Sleep" and "The Dividing Line" which keep the old Genesis feel while truly "progressing" stylistically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm willing to give Road Salt the benefit of the doubt until part 2 comes out. Part 1 isn't fantastic, but you can't argue that it's not progressive. It's Daniel Gildenlöw doing bluesy rock with a shanty and some other bits thrown in. My personal highlights are Sisters, which is probably the best track on the album, and Where it Hurts which has some great emotion in the vocals. I find the lyrical content to be a bit juvenile, but it's hard to tell sometimes with PoS where the line is drawn between the concept and the songwriter, so I'll wait until the second part to see if Daniel is just having a sex-obsessed mid-life crisis or whether it's actually got something to do with the concept of the albums.

I do wish that What She Means to Me was a full length song too. 49 seconds is just too short.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
My sister got me the newish (2008) remaster of Selling England by the Pound for Christmas and it's absolutely loving fantastic. It's like listening to a brand new album, except I already know and love all the songs. Everything just seems so much crisper, clearer and defined than the early-generation CD copy I already had.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Frazzbo posted:

For your entertainment, I would like to submit Frost*. (NB the asterisk/frosterisk :v: is important, as there's another band around called Frost).

Anyway, try these out: Black Light Machine or Pocket Sun.

Jem Godfrey put this band together and it features a number of people who play in several current prog bands in the UK, notably John Mitchell (also with It Bites, who deserve their own mention in this thread IMO). Frustratingly, it's something of a part-time project and albums/concerts are quite hard to come by. In fact, Godfrey has said he's taking 2011 out from Frost* to concentrate on other things. Still, waiting years between albums is quite a proggy thing, I suppose.

Great thread, by the way! :)

Jem's youtube channel is also hilarious.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I figured this thread would be the best place to find people who'd appreciate that there's a full upload of the live performance of Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle on youtube.

The first part is here and there's 6 parts.

As far as I am aware it's only been available on VHS, but I'm willing to be corrected.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Seconded. If you've listened to Insurgentes there's similar elements in there without rehashing, and the influence of remastering the King Crimson back catalogue has added some neat stuff to the mix as well.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think Blackfield helped give Wilson a different outlet for his whiny songs which is nice because Don't Hate Me is a terrible song and really brings Stupid Dream down. Feel So Low is almost as bad and does its best to ruin Lightbulb Sun.

I personally love The Sky Moves Sideways as well (even the 35 minute long version of the title track)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm a massive fan of everything up to BE, but there are some very acceptable tracks on both Road Salt albums. Scarsick is almost totally garbage, however.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I couldn't get into either Road Salt at all, but I still really like a few tracks off Scarsick. Flame to the Moth and Enter Rain are great closers, and Mrs Modern Mother Mary has a really infectious rhythm, and I really dig the twisted vocal line, even if the subject matter is a bit preachy. Really that was the biggest turn-off of the album for me, it just felt like a huge teenage angst fit against America because they denied his passport or whatever. Also the rapping gets a bit embarrassing when he doesn't use it sparingly.

I sort of see Scarsick as Daniel's midlife crisis and hope it's over.

I think the Road Salt albums are especially tricky to get into because they have such a different sound, but the quality of tracks like Sisters and Where It Hurts off RS1 and To The Shoreline and The Deeper Cut off RS2 is up there with some of the better PoS tracks in my opinion, once you're used to the production.

The Raven That Refused To Sing (and other stories) is an absolutely brilliant, fantastic (insert superlatives) album, it absolutely revels in the "classic" prog sound with mellotrons, flutes, sax, etc. etc. but the sound is not truly "progressive" in the original sense, whereas I would say at least PoS tried a new sound with the Road Salt albums, even if it wasn't a total success.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 2, 2013

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If there's one thing that I've noticed never fails to divide PoS fans it's the snare sound on One Hour By The Concrete Lake. I personally love it, but can understand why some people don't.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's technically at least 3 Genesises anyway if you're going to be picky. And you know who else went a bit poppy after Peter Gabriel left Genesis? Peter Gabriel.

The only truly bad Genesis album is the self-titled one. (Yes I even like a couple of tracks on ...Calling All Stations..., sue me)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Rutherford was pretty successful with Mike + The Mechanics to be fair.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Chalk me up as another person who took a couple listens to go from "this is ok" to really liking Hand Cannot Erase.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only synth that should replace a mellotron is a synthesized mellotron, and then you don't have to cart around a mellotron. There's no way that 3 mellotron band toured!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Earwicker posted:

There's no need for a "synthesized" mellotron when you can use a sampler to play recordings from the original mellotron tapes.

Although I guess the stuff in SampleTron is synthesized and it's very convincing.

I would love to have an actual mellotron to mess around with at home but bringing one on the road seems kind of insane and, these days, pointless.

That's sort of what I meant, I think I saw an interview sometime where Tony Banks said they used to take 3 on tour just so he had one that worked

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Hawklad posted:

New Pain of Salvation just got released and is really good. I've been turned off from them since BE but the new album slays. It has a lot of their old Remedy Lane-era complexity and heaviness but with more raw grit. Much better than the Road Salt albums which I listened to once and forgot about. I guess Daniel had a near-death experience with a flesh eating bacteria so it's a concept album related to that experience. Have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qZpLgvdOI

It's definitely an improvement on the forgettable Road Salt albums, and a big one on Scarsick (not my Perfect Element pt II, Daniel!)
A bit more chuggy than I expect from PoS. I loved the guitar and piano riffs on the first 4 albums, the keys are almost invisible on this one when combined with the rest of the band which leaves the production feeling quite stark especially when there's such little melodically going on with the guitars most of the time. There's some BEish reverby piano and classical instrument bits, which are pretty ok.

There aresome good PoS rhythms in there, though, which I guess is a trademark. Not a fan of the new second vocalist (Ragnar I think?) but overall it's the best Pain of Salvation since BE (not a high bar, granted) and worth a listen.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Aw Arjen always brings a smile to my face because he's so earnest about producing his goofy sci-fi prog without being at all pretentious. The captions on that video were charming as hell and I am totally down for another Ayreon album

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Mike Rutherford learnt to be pretty competent but would never be considered any kind of virtuoso

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Earwicker posted:

I think sometimes prog fans tend to forget is that there important musical skills beyond pure instrumental technique that are just as important in terms of making good music, but which aren't going to necessarily come across as "technically proficient" in terms of instrumental performance, especially because prog is one of those genres that has a lot of "everybody gets a solo" songs, for better or worse

for example to a large extent, a good bassist in a rock band is supposed to sound competent but not like a virtuoso. most good rock tunes (even in prog) don't really have places where it's appropriate for bassists to show off all their technical skills, which is fine because that's not their job, and if you wind up with a bass player who's constantly showing off everything they can do then you're going to end up sounding like Primus

Oh, I totally agree. It's why I think virtuosity as a defining aspect of prog is missing the point. I've always favoured prog bands with skill at composition over more technically skilled bands who just wank around

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I love prog and I'm happy to immerse myself in absurd overblown concept albums but can't find any warm place in my heart for musical theatre. It feels like I'm a huge snob and a hypocrite, really. I can't find any reasonable argument why there's a significant enough difference between two pompous musical storytelling art forms for one to enthuse me and the other to leave me totally cold.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not really sure why I posted that to be honest, I was musing out loud, I guess. I think there is definitely overlap though, obviously more on the Ayreoney side than the King Crimson. I guess that's the central problem of lumping everything under a "prog" umbrella

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I do, but mainly for the instrumental bits, Justin Hayward and Phil Lynott's vocals and the narration. Maybe it really is the more stagey vocal styles that irk me

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Earwicker posted:

we need a time warrior to go back in time and delete the "Orch Hit" patch on all of Rick Wakeman's keyboards. jfc

Counterpoint: orchestra hit patches are the best and I love them

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not his best album, but I like it and there's some solid tracks on there, particularly 'Refuge' and 'The People Who Eat Darkness'. Personally I don't hate the falsetto and he's humble enough to have talked about how he's not very confident with it yet, so I'll let him off.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I like 'Get 'em Out by Friday' with its pretty standard look at predatory landlords suddenly turning into a sci-fi dystopia where the poor are genetically shortened to cram more in right at the end of the song.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ingmar terdman posted:

Been on a big prog kick after dipping into and reading this thread. One question though: where are the songs with the lightsabers?

You could check out Arjen Lucassen's 'Star One' project he did which is all songs based on various sci-fi shows and films.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Attitude Indicator posted:

huh? lyrics can be part of a composition and are only wasted if they're not incorperated well into the composition. Same as with any instrument, really. That's often not the focus in prog rock, true, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Thick as a Brick, for example, does a good job of including lyrics in a complex song.

Yeah but those lyrics are deliberately pompous and poking fun at the awkward lyrics of other prog bands

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Noise Machine posted:

I saw King Crimson last night, good god they melted my loving brain. So much growth since I saw them 3 years ago.

How many drummers are they up to now?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They're actually only drummers now. Even Boppin' Bobby.

As a drummer I'm all for this

As a guitarist I'm indifferent

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

tote up a bags posted:

Maybe the topic passed but Steven Wilson is responsible for Heartattack In A Layby which might be some of the best lyrics put to tape and I will fight anyone who disagrees, but very gently so as to keep with the vibe of the track

I think he's generally pretty decent with - to quote his myspace(!) - "the sadness of things". Happy Returns is a more recent example of nailing a mood with natural/conversational lyrics. He seems to struggle lyrically when he tries to be philosophical and have a message rather than capturing a mood or a moment.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Abacab would be fine if the single worst Genesis song 'Who Dunnit?' didn't pollute it. I really don't know how that made it past a demo, let alone onto the record.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

hexwren posted:

Illegal Alien is standing behind this post, coughing politely into its fist.

Illegal Alien is a catchy, but dumb pop song with unfortunate 'white guys just discovered reggae' stink on it. Who Dunnit is 3 and a half minutes that feel like an eternity of Phil repeating irritating phrases over Tony playing around with a new synth.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

XBenedict posted:

If Who Dunnit had an account in these gay dead forums, it would feature your avatar and title.

Agreed

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtppXIfi9Nk

Any of you want nearly 7 hours of Lamb Lies Down demo sessions?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm not completely sold on it yet compared to the other albums, but the drum production is top notch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMsr7jjQF0

Not the most polished live performance, but extremely surreal to see Gabriel era Genesis in this level of video quality