Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

TheForgotton posted:

Gentle Giant fans: I have everything from their first album through Free Hand. Should I quit while they were ahead? I've heard they tried for a poppier, more commercial sound near the end so I've stayed away from their last four albums.

You absolutely NEED Playing the Fool: The Official Live, and there are some worthwhile tracks on Giant for a Day. Other than those, I'd stick with the pre-Free Hand stuff.

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Haraksha posted:

Once I've grown tired of "In the Court", where should I look next?

If you want to stick with King Crimson, I would go to the album "Red" next.

Otherwise: "Close to the Edge" by Yes and "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull would be cool places to go next.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Just want to promote my favorite band, Yes. It's kind of a nostalgic thing for me... my dad listened to an asston of prog while I was growing up. If you're into prog and haven't listened to any of their albums (or just have Fragile) you really owe it to yourself to give them a closer look. No other band that I have listened to creates such an otherworldy kind of sonic landscape through their music. Here are what I consider to be their essential albums:

The Yes Album: First album with guitarist Steve Howe, and the first where they really solidified their progressive sound. Great musicianship, very well crafted songs, no bloat. Pretty upbeat album overall.

Fragile: First album with keyboardist Rick Wakeman, solidifying the Yes classic lineup. The most famous of their 70s catalogue due to the hit singles "Roundabout" and "Long Distance Runaround". Each member has a solo piece, which are generally weaker than the group pieces and gives punk tards some "prog excess" to complain about. The group pieces are all excellent, and have an cool underlying dark feeling to them.

Close to the Edge: Advent of Yes' first sidelong piece, and considered by many to be their finest album. All songs are amazingly good, no filler at all. One of the best products of the entire genre. Wicked jazzprog drummer Bill Bruford left after this album to join King Crimson, to be replaced by john Lennon drummer Alan White.

Tales from Topographic Oceans: Double album consisting of four sidelong tracks. This is by far the most bloated and indulgent Yes ever became. There are some great moments on here, but they're surrounded by puff and boring soundscapeish interludes. The weakest of all the albums I'm listing here, but worth checking out if you like the others. I'm convinced this would have made a fantastic single album. Said bloat inspired keyboardist Rick Wakeman to scurry off and write terrible King Arthur fantasy concept albums to be performed on ice. Replaced by Swiss jazz-fusion keyboardist Patrick Moraz.

Relayer: The band returned to the Close to the Edge template, with excellent results. This album is a noisy, nightmarish jazz-prog cacophony. And it kicks rear end. Probably the most technically impressive album they ever did.

Going for the One: Rick Wakeman returns, inspired by the badassedness that was Relayer. this album is probably my sentimental favorite. No sidelong tracks, but each piece is excellent. Among them is the amazing "Awaken", a slightly middle-eastern tinged piece that really encompasses what Yes is all about.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Who says keyboardists cant be rock stars?

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Sprint posted:

Edit: For those interested in that sort of thing, the BBC put out a really good documentary on classic British prog called Prog Rock Britannia a couple of years ago. It mainly focuses on the 'Big Four' (King Crimson, ELP, Yes and Genesis), but gives a good insight into what was going on in the music at that time.

This is up on Youtube here.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

While I can appreciate Transatlantic and some Spock's Beard, I really can't get into solo Neal Morse. Not to say he isn't talented, it's just not my cup of tea I suppose.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Have any of you guys checked out the King Crimson albums remastered by Steven Wilson? being a big PT fan I'm very interested in these.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

12 year old girl drumming to "Red":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liWGp37npZU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Madama Butterfly posted:

Where have I been? I didn't realize that any of these were out yet...yay! :monocle:

So far In The Court of, Lizard, and Red have been released. Hopefully they intend to release the rest of their catalouge.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Thanks for all the Prog Metal bands you guys have been posting: After listening to Tool and Ayreon, I've been looking for more bands like them.

If you haven't heard them already definitely check out Opeth. They are by far my favorite metal band, and have a really strong progressive feel to them. Also check out Devin Townsend. Check out Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park by Opeth and Synchestra or Terria by Devin Townsend.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So wait... Geoff Downes is on keys? I always thought his work on Drama was really tasteful and comparatively restrained relative Yes' other keyboardists. The coda on Does It Really Happen? (after the 5:00 mark or so) gets stuck in my head pretty regularly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL68VE-Qi7Y

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

Maybe?

I think "Sorta" would be a more accurate reflection.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

TheForgotton posted:

It looks like I might get to interview Jon Anderson in the near future!

I'd love to hear how he feels about how things went down with Yes when he had his respitory problems. Not sure if he wasn't invited back in the band, or if he declined after they picked up the new singer.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

King Crimson's "40th anniversary remasters" are definitely worth a shot if you're big into the band. Particularly the one for Lizard, which was practically remixed from scratch by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. Maybe one of the best re-mastering jobs I've ever heard. It completely transforms the album and makes it sound like the crazy experimental jazz freak-out that it was always meant to be. Some elements of songs like "Indoor Games" that were completely obscured come to the fore. The whole thing really is amazing!

Seconding this, I couldn't stop playing the Lizard remaster for at least a month after I got it. Can't wait for Larks Tongues in Aspic.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

evvywevvy posted:

I only started listening to prog rock a couple years ago, when I discovered that I like listening to Rush because they are awesome, rather than because it was funny. (Yes, I'm a hipster.)

....Liking Rush ironically is funny to hipsters? I'm starting to feel seriously old and out of touch.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Orbital Sapling posted:

What should I listen to of Steven Wilson's? I've tried listening to some of his solo stuff, a few Porcupine Tree songs, and I can't seem to get into any of it. I need some direction here.

edit: gently caress it, I don't want to like Steven Wilson. The man reminds me too much of some sort of wispy butterfly.

Here is the correct method of discovering Porcupine Tree:

Start by listening to In Absentia.

If you like the heavier metalish stuff, work forwards with Deadwing, then Fear of a Blank Planet.

If you like the softer atmospheric stuff, work backwards with Lightbulb Sun, then Stupid Dream.

I didn't really care for SW's first solo album, Insurgentes, but I haven't heard Grace for Drowning yet.

Really looking forward to the Steven Wilson/Mikael Akerfeldt collaboration, Storm Corrosion!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Retarded Goatee posted:

Going back to the earlier talk about Steven Wilson/PT

I feel as if I'm the only person who actually find Stupid Dream to be the by far best album, perhaps mostly due to the incredible atmosphere of it. A Smart Kid is probably one of the best songs out of that band.

I loving love Stupid Dream. I wouldn't say it's their best "by far", but it's probably my favorite, followed closely by Deadwing.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The best Porcupine Tree lyric:

"All my designs, simplified
And all of my plans, compromised
All of my dreams, sacrificed"

Kills me every time.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I heard "Hocus Pocus" by Focus in a seafood restaurant once. I literally couldn't believe my ears.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Earwicker posted:

:confused: Maybe it's a regional thing but when I was growing up that song was on classic rock radio stations constantly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it in a restaurant, bar, gas station, etc.

I had never heard it in public before or since. I grew up in the southwest, pretty much the only prog we hear on the radio here (besides Rush of course) is the Yes radio trinity of Roundabout, I've Seen All Good People, and Owner of a lonely heart, and once in a blue moon maybe ELP's Karn Evil 9.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

This live clip with Benoit David is very cringe worthy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Bp7uUFSTus#t=126s

Not sure Jon Anderson could pull it off these days either to be honest, the stuff from him I've heard post-illness has been way off from his former glory. I guess you simply can't sing in that range forever, I'm actually pretty surprised he sounded as good as he did for so long.

e: I have to take that last comment back. I've been checking out some videos of his solo tour this year, and he's actually in pretty good form.

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 30, 2011

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Prog Doctor posted:

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, I am the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums, and apart from the first disc I thought the third disc should have been scrapped. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.

I love PT though. FOABP was my introduction to them, and I went back and bought their back catalog chronologically. But being my first PT experience, FOABP is still my favorite of theirs.

edit: spelling

I felt pretty much the exact opposite re: Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'm expecting dark, jazzy freakout prog with a sprinkling of industrial. Sort of like Lizard mixed with Relayer mixed with The Downward Spiral remixed by Phillip Glass on acid. With barely any drums.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So I just found out that as a teenager, Steven Wilson was the keyboard player in a New Wave band called Pride of Passion, later changing their name to the Blazing Apostles. Here is a live clip, our hero is on the far left of the stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JR3Gjhx970

And a photo from a live gig:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Prog nerds: My two man prog rock project just released our first demo. This is one of our more straightforward tunes, but it gets pretty proggy in places:

http://soundcloud.com/metamusique

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Prog Doctor posted:

I like it! Reminds me of Crippled Black Phoenix. Once you get a full EP or album recorded, let me know!

Will do! We should have a 4 or 5 track EP done by June.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

BSchlang posted:

A track from Storm Corrosion supposedly popped up on Youtube. A lot of people are calling it fake, but it sure sounds like Mikael Akerfeldt on vocals, and Soundhound can't identify it as any other song. I sure hope it's legit, because it sounds awesome. Kinda reminds me of "To Rid the Disease"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64behhTZ8K0

I'm a little suspicious. I believe it's Mikael Akerfeldt, but I have a few issues with it: that section is lifted directly from "To Rid The Disease" which seems a little more lazy to me than it does self-referential in a cool way (like shades of Close to the Edge in Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans"). Also, it doesn't really sound tight enough or polished enough to strike me as an official release, but maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know. The drums sound sloppier than I would expect from something with Steven Wilson's name on it. The abrupt ending is also a little curious.

My money is on demo/bonus track if anything, not an album track.

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2012

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The second demo track of my prog recording project is finished, let me know what you guys think!

http://www.reverbnation.com/metamusique

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Misogynist posted:

This was quite an enjoyable listen, and I think you're very promising, but you need to break away from music that's filled with references to other bands ("Escape Velocity" is entirely too evocative of In Absentia and Blackfield, while "Pale Fire" was, I feel, inspired nearly 100% by Ghost Reveries and Out of Myself). That's not a bad thing, but I'm presuming you'd like to have an identity of your own, rather than being stuffed into a discount rack with a sticker that says "FOR FANS OF PORCUPINE TREE."

But the cardinal sin, as far as I'm concerned, is that none of the vocal lines are memorable; they seem to be added as afterthoughts because you need vocals, and where they're present, they're never the centerpiece of anything that's happening. This is what killed a lot of bands that could have been really great -- Deadsoul Tribe, Rishloo, and Farmakon are great examples. Start with a memorable melody and work from there, or all the great chord progressions in the world won't help you win a repeat listener.

My last comment is on the soloing -- the guitar tone is down pat, but too much focus is on the notes and not the rhythms, and it makes the solos come across as "incomprehensible solo in harmonic minor" or "incomprehensible pentatonic solo." There's too much going on and not enough room to breathe, and especially in the outro solo of "Escape Velocity," there's a lot of notes that are clearly improvised and don't come across as confidently played. It's as though the guitarist is saying, "Does this note work here? ...Yeah. Whew." Listen to the fit-and-finish on Steven Wilson's solo on "Trains" or Mikael Akerfeldt's first solo in "The Leper Affinity" and then pay very close attention to the transitions between notes on your tracks.

As someone who learns best from the mistakes of others, my primary advice to you as an Opeth fan is to pick up Farmakon's A Warm Glimpse and pay attention to all the things that make them not Opeth.

That's very much for the exhaustive review, I really appreciate both your thoughts and the time it took you to write them. You've got us pegged to our influences exactly, which is something I'm both proud of and embarrassed by! We are still recording neophytes, it's a two man project, I play everything except drums, my buddy does drums and all the technical recording stuff. I really wish we had more members in our little project to bounce ideas off of and filter out some of our more derivative inclinations. You're absolutely correct about the lyrics being an afterthought.

We will try and incorporate some of your suggestions into the final versions of the tracks. Thanks again for the effort you put into your review!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Smekerman posted:

I'm going to take a different approach to Misogynist and say that, although your influences are clear as day, I think my main problem is the songwriting. Pale Fire starts off well, with the acoustic section that builds into the distorted riff. It's a good build-up and the segue into the distorted part is decent as well, but the song doesn't go anywhere after that. You revert back to a mellow/atmospheric section which doesn't really feel... "earned" for lack of a better word. The distorted part is underdeveloped and doesn't go anywhere. It just feels a bit clunky.

I'm probably pretty terrible at explaining this, and maybe I'm projecting what I'd want to hear as opposed to what you wanted me to hear, but I think my recommendations for this track are to lose the mellow/heavy/mellow/heavy approach featuring almost identical parts and develop the actual riffs a little more. Also I feel like the song is playing at half speed. Your distorted parts lack energy. Listen to the Baying of the Hounds (you should probably change your riff a bit, by the way, it's pretty much identical to the intro) and you'll notice it has a lot more energy, a more driving rhythm. Your riff sounds a bit lethargic by comparison.

I should also specify that the mellow/heavy thing is a problem I have with Opeth as well a lot of the time, especially on their first two and their last two albums. I just think that the songwriting process should be more than just a riff salad, it should feel cohesive. Morningrise and Heritage are perfect examples of this style of songwriting going horribly wrong. Ghost Reveries is probably one of their strongest albums from that standpoint, as most of it feels cohesive and thought out (some rough parts in Reverie/Harlequin Forest notwithstanding).

I'd recommend listening to that album again with songwriting in mind. Listen to Ghost of Perdition, notice the callbacks to earlier parts of the song (the "higher" part getting revisited several times throughout the song, in different forms, most notably at 9:08 after a pretty sweet prog breakdown). More importantly, the music doesn't feel rushed, it doesn't feel cramped. Riffs are allowed to breathe, change and morph into other parts of the song. Look at doing something similar with your songwriting. Even if you start off as sounding like an Opeth cover band, realizing what works and what doesn't and playing around with these elements will go a long way towards improving your songwriting skills.

I guess that's a lot of words, but really, I just want you to be aware of your songwriting and actually learn how to improve it and not coast on random soft/heavy segues like Akerfeldt's been doing recently. Not sure if you've heard Heritage, but it's full of weird, nonsensical segues and random song parts that go absolutely nowhere. Don't do that. It's not experimental, it's not avantgarde, it's just plain ol' lovely writing.

Then there's the vocals. I'll just agree with what Misogynist wrote, although I'll add that they remind me more of Aghora than Deadsoul Tribe or the other bands mentioned. Personally, I liked DST and their vocalist had a really drat good voice (Murder of Crows has some pretty fantastic vocals, despite being Tool/Jethro Tull-ish as hell). Aghora, on the other hand, had serviceable vocals that weren't grating but they were completely superfluous; they added absolutely nothing to the music and were a mere distraction. That's pretty much how I feel about the vocals in Pale Fire.

Sorry if I seem overly critical, I'm not, I just thought I'd write this as you seemed open to critique and suggestions. Hope you don't take this the wrong way.

Thanks very much for a great review and your constructive criticism. I agree with your assessment. Our songs typically begin as riff salad and we construct transitions between the sections as best we can, and apparently it's more obvious than we intend for it to be. After the basic structure and transitions are laid out we add lyrics and vocal melodies as an afterthought, which is also pretty obvious. I never noticed the similarity to the Baying of the Hounds riff, I'll compare them when I get home tonight and see (I'm at work at the moment), but in my head I completely understand the comparison. I totally agree with your criticism of Heritage as well in all aspects.

We have a few upcoming tracks that are a lot less Opeth and Porcupine Tree influenced. I will keep both your and Misogynist's critiques in mind and see if we can work on some of the issues you pointed out. Expect some new noise in a few weeks!

Thanks again for the very thorough and detailed review, it is really cool that you guys have put so much time into listening and sharing your thoughts.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

nihil morari posted:

Haha, is he still bitter that Wilson said Dream Theater sucks?

When and in what context did this happen?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Since you guys were so cool and helpful with your comments about our other tracks, I thought you guys may want to have a listen to my two man prog project's latest demo. Please let me know what you guys think, I feel like we have been able to put some of the constructive criticism we've received on this thread to good use.

https://www.reverbnation.com/metamusique

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Misogynist posted:

I think even prog nerds tend to listen to Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, and Heart of the Sunrise and skip at least half of the tracks in between

Don't skip Long Distance Runaround. :smith:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Hey guys,

You may remember a few months back I posted some of my bands demos and got some great feedback. Just wanted to give you an update. We re-recorded some of the parts using some of the criticism you guys provided, and had our stuff mixed by Thaddeus Corea (son of the legendary Chick Corea). Here is the product of that process:

http://soundcloud.com/metamusique/escape-velocity

But the best news is this: we submitted it to Prog Rock Magazine, and they are going to include it on an unsigned artists compilation CD to be handed out the first annual Progressive Music Awards, and included in a special edition of the magazine itself covering the awards show.

Your input was really helpful and was definitely a factor in getting our track in shape to be submitted. Thanks goons!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Here's a fantastic 5 part series on prog in Slate written by Dave Weigel:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...the_1970s_.html

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

A 25 minute punk/prog semi-improvised parody of Tarkus. Except instead of an armadillo tank, it's a boner tank:

http://soundcloud.com/penguindf12/sets/roving-boner/

The artist names crack me up.

(This is not me, by the way)

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Marco Minneman and Guthrie Govan in the same band. :monocle:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Does musical talent run in the family?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Tales From Topographic Oceans has about twenty minutes of good ideas in its eighty minutes of music. Apples is correct, Relayer is better.

This is exactly right. My theory is that 95% of double albums would be better as single albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

TFTO seems almost like a Jon Anderson solo album performed by Yes than a true Yes album. Olias of Sunhillow sounds pretty reminiscent of Tales in a lot of places. Olias is a pretty solid album, by the way.