Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Nearly all of Wilson’s goofy lyrics are him ranting about technology in one form or another. It’s infrequent enough to not be a problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I’ve always thought that Jethro Tull had the best lyrics of the classic prog bands. Ian Anderson is a great songwriter. But yeah lyrics aren’t that important to the genre.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

DT is also worse because it has LaBrie in it

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

You can find good stuff through Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, it goes downhill hard after that. Awake is a pretty good album.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Porcupine Tree is basically Pink Floyd 2.0

This was true prior to about 2001. They branched out pretty thoroughly after that

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There's a ton of flute all over Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Supper’s Ready is the best track on the album and one of the best of the classic prog “epics”

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I’ve seen Steven Wilson twice. Once on the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour and once on the To the Bone tour. The HCE show was one of the best I’ve ever seen. The TTB was lackluster for me, mainly because I don’t enjoy that album very much but also because SW was weirdly defensive and preachy during the show. Fan reaction to the new album has been mixed to he was basically telling everyone they should like it in between songs. It was really awkward and uncomfortable.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Speaking of Coheed, that reminded me of the only good Rush cover ever done, ft Les Claypool and Danny Carey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

hatelull posted:

Do you guys think they tour as a threesome or do they get a ringer to play live with them? It would suck if my (and my brother's) probably only chance to see this band live is with backtracked bass.

I couldn't imagine SW using a bass backing track. I'm certain they will have a hired gun on bass on the tour, probably a second guitarist too (not John Wesley)

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone been to the Jon Anderson + Band Geeks shows? There are a few YouTube videos up from the first couple shows and the band sounds insanely good. Jon is also undefeated for sounding just as good if not better than his younger self at age 78.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I caught Jon Anderson and the band geeks recently. I’ve seen real Yes 3 times in the early 2000s and this was better than all those times. Jon sounds just as good as ever, and I’m not sure how that’s possible at 78. If anything his pitch control is even more consistent than it was in the ‘70s.