Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm just getting into prog, so this thread is a great resource (just ordered "Crimson King" and "Octopus", both of which I have heard but don't own). My wife is a big Yes fan so she got me into them, but at the moment I'm liking Genesis a lot. I bought the first box set (which includes everything with Peter Gabriel) and I'd consider all of that pretty essential. I'm also a big fan of Peter Gabriel's first solo albums as well, though he may not really be considered prog by that point.

After I delve into King Crimson and Gentle Giant I'll be ready for some of the lesser known recommendations in this thread.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Pickled Foetus posted:

And finally my favourite, and the one you're least likely to have heard. Some of you may know of Split Enz as a New Wave band from New Zealand who achieved some brief fame in the early 1980s. But when they started in the 1970s they were a full-blown prog band (before founding member Phil Judd was replaced by Neil Finn), heavily influenced by the likes of Jethro Tull, Yes, Family, Zeppelin and Roxy Music. Their 1975 album 'Mental Notes' is the greatest prog album ever made, period, and I urge every prog lover to hunt down a copy. Don't believe me? Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psadmPirqpo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWQ6EDZGYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGxjnml4yQ

If you don't like it then you are a homo.

Just make sure you get the original 1975 version, and not the 1976 re-recording which was also called 'Mental Notes' in the Northern Hemisphere (who didn't get the 1975 one). The second album is great too, but it's more at the Roxy Music end of the prog spectrum (it was produced by Phil Manzanera) than the first, which was very King Crimson/Genesis/Yes etc.

Yeah, I've got Mental Notes and Second Thoughts (plus Beginning of the Enz) and I like them a lot. It's not in the prog realm, but I also really love the Split Enz offshoot Swingers and their album Counting the Beat. It's more of a power pop/new wave type album. I wish I could find "All Over Town" online, but it's the greatest Cheap Trick song that isn't by Cheap Trick.