Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Is anybody else excited that Yes is finally putting out a new album? It's going to be called "Fly from Here" after one of the coolest songs Yes never recorded. Also, the Buggles are back on board, which makes the lack of Jon Anderson suck a little bit less (though it still sucks a whole lot).

Here's the Buggles version of "We Can Fly from Here":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLkuKXt-nec

And Jon Anderson is still putting out great music on his own. I love this song from his forthcoming album, "Survival and Other Stories"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nyL5ksJqs
Hopefully the new vocalist can at least come close...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
When the band split, the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe version considered calling itself "The Affirmative" but they decided on ABWH.

Elec posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but this is almost exactly the same as the 1980 line-up, plus an Anderson sound-alike. They'll probably sound more archetypical Yes-like than when Rabin and Kaye were in Yes, and Kaye was even an original member.
Maybe I just have a hard-on for Drama, and I really liked Ladder and Magnification, but all this could just be bias.
Drama is a really great album, so this has potential, and I agree that The Ladder and Magnification were both sorely underrated, especially with tracks like "Face to Face," "The River," "New Languages," and "Lightning Strikes" from former and the title track, "We Agree" and "Give Love Each Day" from the latter. Then again I think all of Yes's post-90125 output is underrated, and Keystudio is one of their best albums as a whole.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I don't understand the appeal of Keystudio at all. Everything on it is mind-numbingly repetitive and overlong, the lyrics are Jon Anderson at his preachiest and cringingly bad, and it's the classic Yes lineup so you can't even pin the blame on Trevor Rabin or Billy Sherwood. There are one or two good bits buried in Mind Drive and That That Is, and Sign Language is a decent but unmemorable instrumental, but overall this is what cemented in my mind that there would never be another good Yes album. That the same band who made Tales from Topographic Oceans and Going for the One and Tormato could produce something this bad.
I couldn't disagree more, but I was under the impression that even the most jilted Yes fans still liked the Keystudio tracks. I'd actually rank it up there with Going for the One and Fragile. Don't listen to me though, I love most of Jon Anderson's solo albums.

quote:

I do consider Union a bit underrated, though—not because it's good, but because it still has the reputation of being Yes's worst album, and I think they've since done much worse. Still, I would call I Would Have Waited Forever one of their best pop songs (I actually like it more than Owner of a Lonely Heart), and there are some other good tracks throughout like Masquerade and Take the Water to the Mountain. Saving My Heart might be the single worst song Yes ever did, though.
I agree about Union, but I consider it a great album with "Shock to the System", "Silent Talking", and "Holding On" (and I wish the two minute intro to "Miracle of Life" lasted forever).

From the sounds of it, Union was hampered by the studio executives. Jon Anderson actually released a collection of demos for what would have been the second ABWH album, which weren't included on Union and some of them are great if extremely poppy, like the title track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4NuPktx3fg