Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
As much as I like prog, I honestly think the best of the music to fall under the umbrella of "progressive" were the German bands of the time, the Krautrock. For me they got at the root of the idealism (bringing rock music onto a similar level of artistic development of say 20th century classical or period jazz) and cut out the fantastical lyrics bullshit and general pretentiousness of the British scene. Honestly beyond mid 70s King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, the Canterbury scene, and the later RIO scene I find a lot of it embarrassing to listen to, I mean have you really listened to the lyrics of Yes?

Krautrock got it right though, and I think it's had a more lasting impact on the face of popular music during the past thirty years. As to where you start with it, there's a core of maybe six or seven essential tier one bands (albums to start with are in brackets), Amon Düül II (Yeti), Ash Ra Tempel (S/T), Can (Tago Mago), Faust (Faust So Far), Neu! (S/T), Kraftwerk (Radioactivity), Popol Vuh (Hosianna Mantra) and Tangerine Dream (Phaedra).

Hellequin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Rolling Nuns posted:

If anyone did this, it wasn't the Krautrock bands (really? Neu? lol don't insult 20th century classical like that), it was the more advanced RIO bands like Univers Zero and Art Zoyd, who practically made 20th century classical music.

I meant that they were attempting to bring rock to a level of artistic sophistication comparable to 20th century classical or modern jazz, not make 20th century classical or modern jazz. Secondly I like the RIO bands, thirdly what the hell is wrong with Neu?

Rollersnake posted:

High Tide

The violinist ended up in Hawkwind eventually.