Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

To be fair, Kurt Cobain has been quoted in interviews as liking "Red." That doesn't excuse Starostin's writing.

Edit - loving wow, did he actually listen to what Belew was saying in Thela? So much troll.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

(Didn't get to post this, since I was on holiday with no internet access)

So, apparently someone with a proggy record collection worked on the last Monday Night Football---coming into the second half, they used two Floyd cues (Gilmour soloing from Shine On... under the first half stats and the main riff of Learning To Fly into a commercial) and a Yes cue (Seen All Good People, also into a commercial). I was officially a bit weirded out by this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Iucounu posted:

I heard "Hocus Pocus" by Focus in a seafood restaurant once. I literally couldn't believe my ears.

Well, really, who can believe their ears when they hear Hocus Pocus at all? poo poo is Lovecraftian.

EDIT

Earwicker posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing but when I was growing up that song was on classic rock radio stations constantly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it in a restaurant, bar, gas station, etc.

Could be. I never heard it until the age of the internet, I was at a party and the host had burned a DVD of music videos to play on the TV while people hung out---that was one of them.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 30, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd like to dig more into Hamm/Van, I've really only heard Pawn Hearts and a few scattered other bits. There was a live-in-studio version of Theme One that I had on a CD that I blasted in the car I delivered pizza in back in college. I was all over that thing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

666 is a seriously ridiculous record, and my vinyl copy is easily one of the records I'd save if my studio were burning down. I found out about it via 'Cosmic' Ray Cromie, late-night avant-garde DJ on Penn State student radio since the 70s, when he was a student. He'd show up during my afternoon time slot to check the mail, and since I pushed my slot on the afternoon classic rock show kinda prog, he and I would get into ridiculous conversations at times.

That said, Four Horsemen is loving crushing.

VVV - At least it's not the AV Club's recent Chris "Steve Howe" Squire incident.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 27, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh, I would bend over backwards to see that particular Projekct (well, any Projekct) except I really really can't stand Dream Theater. I know this makes me a bad prog fan, but that's me. They're fantastic musicians, but I like prog bands who can write three minute AND thirty minute tunes---and they've never found a lick or a melody they've liked that they haven't turned into a half-hour multi-part affair.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

It seems kind of silly to call Dream Theater, or any metal for that matter, soulless. I mean, I don't look to metal for something that will resonate with me emotionally, but energy and technical proficiency.

I wouldn't call them soulless (except in the way everything that's not Sam & Dave/The Supremes/Aretha Franklin/The Bar-Kays/Stevie Wonder/The Temptations/et al. lacks soul), it just doesn't do it for me. However, I certainly do best enjoy metal that resonates emotionally, but I generally listen to doom, stoner, drone and occasionally industrial (SYL) metal, so your mileage may vary.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's, like, ungodly amounts of money, dude. That's feng shui money. If I had that, I wouldn't be borrowing my girlfriend's car to get to work.

In more on-topic news, what do people in this locale think about Consequences? I've heard Five O Clock In The Morning off it, and find it to be an excellent melody and rich set of textures married to some absolutely moronic lyrics.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I just found out today that Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels was going to be an actual full-on concept album. That loving owns. And yeah the Steampunk thing is probably going to be cheesy as hell but that's okay because Rush has earned that right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E&hd=1

Motherfuckin' double bass up in here. I think the lyrics sound a little weak and not really catchy but drat does Rush still rock hard when they want to.

It doesn't grab me as hard as Far Cry did, as lead singles go, but the band does still sound quite good.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tentril posted:

Does anyone here listen to Ruins? I admit I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't see them mentioned at all. Basically a really nuts drummer and bassist from Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlYCLpsb-Ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-Yc2llcEU

It's been the same drummer since it started, and he collaborates with different bassists every few records.

Aaaaaa that is way too spazmodic for me - they're like the evil twins of OM.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Huh, weird to see so much disdain for Snakes & Arrows. I thought it was easily their best effort since Counterparts or Bones, and certainly the most consistent. Still haven't heard Angels, but I'm saving up for a car, so extraneous purchases lead to weird guilt problems. Whatevs, this isn't e/n, more talk about prog. Totally dig that Squackett tune from a few posts up.

Also, that's...uh, not what I generally think of when I hear the name Cathedral. Had no idea there was another group with that name.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

and I've shamefully never even listened to Wind & Wuthering. Maybe I should do that now.

Wuthering is really one of the albums I'm mostly indifferent to, though I love the band with and without Hackett---the proggy bits don't do it for me, and Afterglow is awesome as a way to end a medley, but that's all that I ever take away from the record. That and "you really cut the stuff on Spot the Pigeon during these sessions? Ugh, footy fans."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dunno, it's not quite doing it for me. That synth melody sounds like it was grafted on at the last minute. I'm disappointed---I loved Phoenix. (Omega was a huge let-down as well.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If I remember correctly, they asked Carl, but he was busy with Asia and couldn't get the time. They joked about auditioning guys whose surnames started with P but the evidence suggests it was coincidence that the acronym remained the same. And, really, it's not like Cozy Powell was some no-name off the street.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Of course this discussion brings out all the "that one guy"s. And I am that one guy, twice over.

As regards Genesis, I find their period of evolution from prog to pop fascinating, and Abacab a great record for this. Then again, one of my favorite long-form tracks from the Collins era is Fading Lights, so I'm probably the sort of person most people in this thread would set on fire before seriously considering my opinion.

On the ELP side of things, one of my favorite records of theirs is Works v. 1, and I feel it's incredibly underrated, especially as the solo sides are dismissed as being subordinate to the one group side. Unless my ears totally deceive me, Keith and Carl show up on Greg's side and Keith and Greg are on Carl's side, so, whatever. (Emo's concerto is an actual solo effort.)

Emerson's concerto is catchy as anything, which probably shows that I'm some sort of cretin about classical music. Lake's collection of bizarre orchestral pop is fantastic (though some of the lyrics try to out-goofy "someone get me a ladder".) The stomping "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is just plain fun, and probably the highlight. Palmer's side has possibly some of his most energetic drumming (Food For Your Soul) and a guest appearance by Joe Walsh. Walsh was probably so high he started scat singing over breakfast and just happened to wander into the studio where the group was cutting LA Nights and wound up behind a microphone. The group side is pretty solid, though Pirates could have used a stronger editorial hand.

I mean, obviously, it's no Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery, but it's miles away from Love Beach.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Edit 2: Also I'll probably never understand why Selling England is regarded by so many as Genesis' masterpiece. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight and Firth of Fifth are brilliant, but I think they're the only truly classic tracks on there. The Battle of Epping Forest in particular I've always thought is poo poo. I'd recommend Nursery Cryme or Trick of the Tail over it as a starting point.

I'm actually mostly on board with this, there's a severe drop-off in quality after Knight, Wardrobe and Fifth, but I think The Cinema Show, though lyrically slight, is one of the flat-out best tunes the group ever wrote. I'd say Tail or Foxtrot, rather than Cryme, though. Literally nothing off that LP grabs me beyond Musical Box.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You might as well listen to the other GG record because if you don't like it, you can always turn it off.

Tales From Topographic Oceans has about twenty minutes of good ideas in its eighty minutes of music. Apples is correct, Relayer is better.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, I did say I thought that Relayer is better---not really great. The "Soon" coda to Gates of Delirium and To Be Over are about all I'm really into on that LP. Also, the guy that started this particular conversational thread said he was already into Fragile and Close to the Edge, so those were taken as given. Hell, in retrospect, I'd suggest Going For The One over TFTO or Relayer, but I'm secretly a dirty pop music fan at heart.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

Alright, for anyone that wants a copy of the King Crimson cover album, Guestroom Records in OKC has them and is doing mailorder. The cost is $30 shipped.

Just send an email with your address and info to guestroomrecords@gmail.com and they'll send you a Paypal link to pay for it.

Quoting from the Flaming Lips thread for public service information.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like Hold Your Fire, dammit.

Someone has to.

(I wouldn't jump to Counterparts from there, though. I say go backwards from Clockwork, hit Snakes & Arrows first.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

IIRC, the Vapor Trails songs that made it onto Retrospective III were remastered. So there's that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm a terrible pop classicist at heart, so my opinions are generally not those of the people who feel that anything that can be said in a three-minute tune is better said at thirty (I'm looking at you, Dream Theater), but even on the weakest Genesis records, there's always at least one song that's pretty interesting sonically.

I won't defend Calling All Stations, but looking back at the post-Hackett material, we've got stuff like Deep in the Motherlode, Duchess, Duke's Travels, Dodo, Second Home, Brazilian, Fading Lights...there's a lot there still worth hearing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Prog Doctor posted:

KC could be doing so much more, but Adrian is just road block. Get rid of him, let him focus on his power trio, and replace him with someone who will let them dive deep into the back catalog!

Except it's never sounded like Fripp has wanted to play anything from back then, either, and even if KC is "a way of doing things" and not a band, there's not going to be anything coming out that says KC and not Projekct without him.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hence the most recent Projekct. That makes sense.

Of course it's all moot since Fripp has said he's done with music, but whatevs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

So I've been going through the recommendations given me in this thread and I've picked up "Stained Glass Stories" by Cathedral - what a great album! I'm really digging it so far, I like the aggressiveness of the rhythm section. Being a bass player myself, I always like hearing cool bass guitar sounds and this guy has a nice just-overdriven-enough tone, sounds like it could be a Rickenbacker. I did a bit of digging and apparently they only recorded that one album. Well, until recently that is - seems like they eventually got back together and did at least one more album and have a Myspace page going. It's difficult to look for stuff on them though, because there's apparently a metal band named "Cathedral" as well.

Yeah, I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that the Cathedral I'd only ever heard of until this thread were the doom metal band. I don't dislike Cathedral (prog), but I'll basically only ever have the association "guys who did Forest of Equilibrium." (Linking because it's always cool to expand one's horizons, and Forest was a landmark doom record. I totally need that one Cathedral (prog) album, though. They do have a pretty cool sound.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

re: Christian prog - the only thing I was ever aware of was 2nd Chapter of Acts' concept album/rock opera based on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, "The Roar of Love." I wouldn't suggest it musically, though it's not actively offensive, just kinda boring---sonically it's somewhere between Alan Parsons and 10cc with choral, female-led vocals.

I'm seconding the sadness over the demise of The Mars Volta - their albums were uneven, but when they found a sound that killed, it was massive. Wax Simulacra, Teflon, L'Via L'Viaquez, Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus, most of their first record...I liked them better in the short form over the long-form jams, but good times were had.

Just not seeing them live. The pit wasn't even really a pit, it was just people packed too closely together and thus all swaying like grass in the breeze as people fought to keep standing. And then Cedric started tossing cymbal stands into the crowd. Bad vibes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

Would Uriah Heep count as prog? I figure any (non-power metal) band that sings about wizards has to at least have its foot in the prog door.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Coheed and Cambria? I know I've read reviews that put them down as pretentious, but I think that kind of misses the point. Making fun of prog for being too pretentious is like making fun of Frank Zappa for being too sarcastic or KISS for being too gimmicky.

Any band that can get away with Magician's Birthday is prog in some way.

Coheed is a group I respect, but I inevitably prefer their three-minute singles to their six-minute album tracks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really need to buy Stained Glass Stories so I don't keep thinking I'm in a doom metal thread, for serious.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I agree that a wide sampling of Opeth is good to get a decent feel for the band's material, but for someone who digs Yes and KC and that sort of thing, I'd say The Devil's Orchard off of Heritage is the best one to jump in with. Love that loping guitar noodle that runs through the song.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

So, I'm looking at this year's RSD poo poo, and to be honest, it's lovely. But there's some stuff that might be of interest to folks in this thread.

Probably not the box set of picture discs of the first five ELP records.

Maybe this King Crimson CD of collector's club stuff with a graphic novel? The gently caress?

Possibly the new colored vinyl pressing of the second Liquid Tension Experiment record? (I could do without it---I respect all the players on that record, but the only track that really grabs me is Hourglass. AND I'M A DRUMMER FOR gently caress'S SAKE.)

Maybe the new MGMT cassingle, since they seem to be all about annoying anyone who tries to listen to them.

A world of possibilities (where you struggle past manic ebay flippers to find the thing you wanted sold out already) awaits!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've always thought Larks' III was a snore-fest compared to the first two, myself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's pretty fair.

I think Level Five is easily the best moment on Power, that is something I'd actually be okay with considering a Larks piece. 3 has good playing, but it just didn't thrill me. I still haven't heard Absent Lovers, though, so I'm only thinking of the studio cut.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My 2¢---gently caress the haters, Fading Lights is great, especially the extended bridge.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

...which bandmates would these be? This is news to me.

Roy Estrada's in the clink. I dunno who the other one is.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of Adrian Belew, I always knew he was a major collaborator with Talking Heads, but I just listened to "I Zimbra" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet" back to back and :monocle:

I never realized how much of a huge influence David Byrne was on the sound of '80s Crimson.

Robert Fripp played on I Zimbra and several others on Fear of Music, presumably thanks to his New York City residence and connections with Brian Eno, who produced the album. Belew did not, as far as I've ever been aware, join Talking Heads until the sessions for Remain in Light, one year later.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

On stage for occasional guitar freakouts, yeah. My point is that Fripp presumably got the core of the rhythmic concept from his time in the studio with the group, cutting FOM, which he then took to The League of Gentlemen and then on to Discipline/KC-80s.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Robert Fripp, with Toyah Wilcox, in an unexpected venue, 2013.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

On the upside, Belew and Reznor acting like adults and not airing their grievances publicly is probably the best thing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's as cram-everything-we-can-into-this-song as their other stuff, whatshisballs, the lead singer is trying to do a weird Dave Mustaine impression in the first verse and at about five minutes in there's this loving Danny Elfman jaunty xylophone bullshit. Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Iucounu posted:

Speaking of Hawkwind, Space Ritual is getting the Steven Wilson treatment soon.

I thought Wilson had a shitfit and decided not to do any remasters that weren't Crimson or something?