Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Haraksha posted:

Once I've grown tired of "In the Court", where should I look next?

Someone already recommended it, but Red is certainly a good choice for next. It's a bit heavier, but it's still good. Discipline is also highly recommended. It's probably my favorite King Crimson album. It's less jazzy than In The Court, but it's still King Crimson, and it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
What are some good recommendations for prog that's similar to King Crimson's Discipline? It's probably my favorite King Crimson album, but I don't know much that sounds similar to it. Any ideas?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rollersnake posted:

Discipline is basically a new wave album, so my top recommendations would be Talking Heads' Remain in Light and The Police's Synchronicity. The latter's particularly applicable as Andy Summers did a couple of albums with Robert Fripp, and the King Crimson influence is definitely there, especially on Mother.

I've listened to Remain in Light before, and it had Adrian Belew on guitar, but I don't think it sounds too similar to Discipline. I guess I never really considered Discipline to be new wave, but I can see how that could be. But I'll check out Synchronicity, thanks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tripplejol posted:

Any ideas? What is considered a must-have King crimson album, outside of Hall of the Crimson King.

Red. The title track itself is quite amazing, and might be one of the best songs King Crimson ever wrote. It's a dark, heavy, loud instrumental piece, and it is great. It was also King Crimson's last studio album before their 7-year hiatus, after which they made Discipline. It still doesn't sound much like Discipline, but that's part of the fun of King Crimson.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Narwhale posted:

I'm just getting into prog, so this thread is a great resource (just ordered "Crimson King" and "Octopus", both of which I have heard but don't own). My wife is a big Yes fan so she got me into them, but at the moment I'm liking Genesis a lot. I bought the first box set (which includes everything with Peter Gabriel) and I'd consider all of that pretty essential. I'm also a big fan of Peter Gabriel's first solo albums as well, though he may not really be considered prog by that point.

After I delve into King Crimson and Gentle Giant I'll be ready for some of the lesser known recommendations in this thread.

You should probably listen to Emerson, Lake & Palmer. They, along with King Crimson, Genesis, and Yes, are considered the canonical prog rock bands. I don't know a whole lot about them, so others can help you find out what to listen to.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rollersnake posted:

With ELP I recommend starting with either their debut or Brain Salad Surgery, as IMO those are the only two that are good almost all the way through. They were a very inconsistent band even in their prime, and embody the cheesy excesses people associate with prog more than any of the other bands in the "big five."

Who are the "big five"? I thought the "big four" of prog were Genesis, Yes, ELP, and King Crimson.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The idea of listening to Magma has interested me, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Boner Magnet posted:

Rush released a brand-new single called "Caravan", and it's awesome. Not quite as proggy as they used to be, but still have retained excellent musicianship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9K0ipA9EI

...aaand the video's down already!

I'm kind of interested to see if they're still going down the grunge path of Snakes & Arrows. But I love the album already because it's called Clockwork Angels. Seriously, you can't get much cheesier than that.