Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

TheForgotton posted:

How about some Dark Suns? Kristoffer Gildenöw (formerly Pain of Salvation) plays bass on their latest album. They have a freaky official video for one of their instrumentals, but it's slightly NWS in a couple of places.

Thanks for this, been craving some of this brand of prog metal ever since PoS went a bit awry. Which was right around the time Kris left, actually. Hmm...

Few of my recent favourites I didn't see mentioned: Ioearth. Pretty hard to find any of their songs that aren't a poorly recorded live performance, so the stuff on their myspace will have to do. They seem to take themselves a bit seriously (as you can probably tell by that self-congratulatory banner proclaiming themselves an "amazing musical discovery" :v:), but the album is quality stuff. Mostly cut-and-dry prog, not overly technical, but they incorporate a diverse range of styles pretty ably.

Demians: solo project by french multi-instrumentalist Nicolas Chapel. His first album, Building an Empire, is among my favourites, really chilled back, mellow prog, but has a great sense of scope and cohesion. I've heard a few people say it's a little amateurish, but I think his passion really carries it, and it strikes me as one of the more ambitious and well-realized solo albums I've heard in the genre. His second album, Mute, is bit less solid in my opinion, it comes off as though he was trying to touch upon many different styles without really pulling them together as a whole. Still, worth a listen if you liked his debut.

Panzerballett: german prog metallers with a fusion bent who make bizarre covers of popular songs (and some originals). I'll uhh... let the music speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CgKzkriPQk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Not sure how much they qualify as progressive, but Mastodon's new album just dropped and I'm absolutely loving it.

Thanks for the heads up about new Haken. They do tend to channel some of the cheesier parts of Dream Theater, but Aquarius was a great bit of prog indulgence.

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 1, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Grace for Drowning is brilliant. As for Porcupine Tree, In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are generally considered to be the best among their more recent stuff (they weren't especially "prog" before that). Personally, I'd recommend their live album Arriving Somewhere, which combines a lot of material from Absentia and Deadwing with some older stuff and a few great b-sides.

But yeah, if you don't like him, you don't like him. I've had a few friends who couldn't get into his stuff despite liking the music because of his voice. It's a preference thing, same as Geddy Lee or whoever.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I generally like PT's lyrics. \/:shobon:\/

Maybe I just don't mind the emo-ness so much when it's coming from Steve, I feel like his melancholy delivery sells it more often than not. Which is just as well, because christ, has anyone read some of the lyrics on Grace for Drowning? Pretty bleak stuff.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Prog Doctor posted:

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, am I the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums. I thought the first disc was really good, but the third disc should have been scrapped altogether. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.

I liked the second disc about as well as the first, even if Raider II drags on a bit. Track One is up there with my favourites on the album, Index is classic Wilson and Dust is a pretty great outro. Also, as someone who loves the poo poo out of Gavin's drumming, I was really glad that he wasn't on this album. His style is very distinctive, to the point where hearing him play alongside Steven makes anything immediately resemble Porcupine Tree, at least to my ears. This is a bit of a problem I had with Insurgentes, actually - the drumming was great, but it tethered the album too closely to the sound PT had established, and was a bit less unique for it. Having a different drummer on GfD helped to separate it from that, and make it a bit more special. Doesn't hurt that Pat Mastelotto knows his way around a prog groove (and whoever the other guy credited for drums is).

Anyway, if I want to have a drumgasm to something with Gavin in, I just listen to his amazing side project Gavin Harrison & 05Ric. Aw yeah.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Oh dang, I didn't even know there was a new album. Cheers!

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, speaking as an also drummer, it's definitely not one of those albums that I listen to for the drumming. The grooves are right in the pocket for the most part and don't really stand out on their own, which I think is fine. Mostly I just like it for the top notch writing and production.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Not really. I can't think of another person on the scene who's actively involved themselves in so many projects, both as writer, performer or producer, so it's only natural that he'd become something of a poster boy. He's a loving great producer though, so I can't say I mind when his name turns up in the liner notes.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Prog Doctor posted:

I really wanted to like A Dramatic Turn Of Events. The music wasn't half bad. But then I started paying attention to the lyrics. Maybe it's just because James LaBrie sounds whiny, but the lyrics, to me, sounded like they were written by a 14 year old girl.

They've been that way for a while. A friend and I have a running joke which is just the line "EVERYONE SURVIVED" drawn out in an overly dramatic fashion (the reason for which has already been immortalized here - http://www.somethingawful.com/d/garbage-day/dream-theater-volta.php).

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Deloused is one of my favourite albums of all time but I haven't felt a fraction of that affection towards anything they've released since. Actually, Octahedron is probably my second favourite, if I had to pick one. I agree that it feels kind of limp and uninspired, but I appreciate that it isn't as christing spastic and unintelligible as their other post-Coma stuff.

So how is this thread not bursting with praise for Anathema's newun, Weather Systems? I've had it on near-constant repeat for a few days and poo poo is incredible. It feels like a pretty natural extension of We're Here Because We're Here (even referencing it lyrically in one part), except the songs sound more like grand compositions than straight-forward band-oriented stuff, with electric guitar and drums taking a back seat to acoustic guitar or piano melodies for much of it (also loads of big swelling orchestra bits). Actually much more of an atmospheric rock album than "prog" in the strictest sense, but it's obvious that they're still trying to evolve and make involving, expressive music in new and inventive ways, and really I'd say that counts for more as far as being progressive is concerned.

My personal highlight, The Lost Child: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_LdqtTsjqI

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 23, 2012

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Anyone been keeping a tab on Disperse? Pretty sure it was this thread that drew my attention to their super excellent debut, Journey Through Hidden Gardens, which I played pretty thoroughly. Anyway they've started putting out material from their upcoming album, which seems to have taken a bit of a turn for the djent. This will probably turn some people off since it seems to be a pretty polarizing, uh, sub-genre? (what even is it I don't know), but I think they use it pretty tastefully and the spacey atmosphere from their first album is still there. Here's a couple tracks and some stuff.

Unbroken Shiver - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQuPEMRgFs

Enigma Of Abode (drum playthrough) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK163PBWy7k

Update video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4RVLWTugs

Guitarist playing a few riffs (this guy is only like 19 :wtc:) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l51CRTXZ3s

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Anathema feature their female vocalist relatively heavily on their latest, Weather Systems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0tkGtYpKJ0

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

I'm a massive fan of everything up to BE, but there are some very acceptable tracks on both Road Salt albums. Scarsick is almost totally garbage, however.

I couldn't get into either Road Salt at all, but I still really like a few tracks off Scarsick. Flame to the Moth and Enter Rain are great closers, and Mrs Modern Mother Mary has a really infectious rhythm, and I really dig the twisted vocal line, even if the subject matter is a bit preachy. Really that was the biggest turn-off of the album for me, it just felt like a huge teenage angst fit against America because they denied his passport or whatever. Also the rapping gets a bit embarrassing when he doesn't use it sparingly.

Since a couple of people mentioned Oceansize without bringing up any albums, I should really urge anyone to try out Frames if they haven't. It's somewhere at a crossroads between prog rock, alt rock, post rock, and occasionally metal. But rather than trying to pander to the staples of the genres it evokes, it takes the best elements and streamlines them, and the product is one of the most accomplished and mature examples of using things like long form song structure and odd time signatures in a really effective and listenable way.

One of the rockier tracks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PpLPx6XvIk
A slow builder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYmaS1c9Xr0
The heaviest track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQnDH9SQ6Sc

Their other stuff varies in style a bit, from what I've listened to. You'll probably like Self Preserved if you like Frames, and Home & Minor if you want to hear more of their ambient side. Effloresce has some great tracks but I haven't listened to it much yet. Their other stuff I'm slowly making my way through, but the friend who got me into them swears by pretty much all of it.

Also nthing the praise for Steven Wilson's new one. Marco just shot right the gently caress up my list of favourite drummers.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Be is great, but the live version is infinitely better. They're so tight and energetic and Daniel's vocals are amazing. I can't listen to the studio version any more.

One Hour sounds a bit poo poo but I love the tracks that made it onto Second Death, which was also a pretty great performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I introduced a friend to PoS with Remedy Lane and his first reaction was "sounds like some emo bullshit." Now they're his favourite band. :)