Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
There is a small sub-genre of prog known as Zeuhl that is usually associated with Magma-influenced bands in France, Belgium, and Japan. Definitely some of my favorite prog. Especially highly recommended are Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, and Koenji Hyakkei. Mostly instrumental "chamber rock" that is worth exploring if you are interested in musical that is more timbrally diverse than standard guitar-dominated rock music.

I think the best description I've seen of Magma is "Klingon Opera". Also, here's a video where someone tries to put English lyrics to Magma. Definitely one of the most bizarre things I've seen on youtube.

My Neighbors Suffer Whee Whee Whee Whee Whee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The idea of listening to Magma has interested me, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?

The album mentioned earlier in this thread, Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh, is probably their most well-known album, and is certainly my favorite of the few Magma CDs I have. You can buy the album here, Wayside Music which is an awesome place to find obscure, unclassifiable music such as other avant-prog bands.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

Sprint posted:

^^^^ Just want to say thank you for this site! Am finding fantastic deals on albums I've been having trouble getting. Are they usually reliable/good quality?

I've never had any problems, except maybe cracked CD cases from shipping. If you buy the $4 discount Cuneiform CDs they will probably have a hole drilled through the CD case, but who cares at that price.