Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Last page, people were talking about Italian prog. Allow me to contribute:

Alusa Fallax - Intorno alla mia cattiva educazione
(When that Almodóvar movie "La mala educación" came out, I had to laugh because I had just gotten into this album, and their titles translate to basically the same thing)

Osanna - L'uomo
Palepoli by them is also good, and those are the only 2 I know from Osanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

Has anyone else heard any of Road to Red, the King Crimson live box set? There's loads of great stuff there, but having just heard CD 20, the final tour performance, that set is worth checking out even if you aren't interested in the whole thing. I haven't heard a more ferocious version of 21st Century Schizoid Man, Fracture is beautifully tense and Starless - which is a great track but previously wouldn't have made my list of favourites - is utterly jaw dropping here. The sound quality on this show is a little low (it various across the box set) but it's still amazing.

The second half of Starless is one of my favourite crimson passages ever even in its studio form, so I should probably check that out.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I really like Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil) on Tales, though, which is on side 2. I agree the album feels a little stretched out - and believe me, as I'm sure most prog fans do, I have a high tolerance for long-rear end music. But I wouldn't want to see Ritual cut out :ohdear:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loose-fish posted:

Speaking of stuff that's not Prog. I've been listening a lot to Brian Eno's early albums, that poo poo is awesome. "Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy)" and "Before an After Science" especially. But apparently it's "Art Rock"!
"King's Lead Hat" (with Robert Fripp on guitar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0k_o8gfQI

Super strict genre definitions are stupid anyway... I just like listening to music that's creative and different and the label Prog has pointed me to lots of interesting bands but using it only for classic Prog like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. seems weird and not very ... progressive :haw:

Of "gateway prog," early Eno is pretty close to the real thing IMO. I mean, I could imagine some normie enjoying almost anything by Renaissance (whom I've usually heard referred to as prog) long before I'd imagine them liking Baby's On Fire or Driving Me Backwards.

And I agree about not having super strict genre definitions, I mean I think you'd be right to discuss here anything from early Brian Eno to even the song Flying by the Beatles.

On the other hand, a lot of great bands pushed boundaries (making them somewhat "progressive") but it would just seem...subjectively weird to call them progressive rock.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FrankenVader posted:

I always considered this song fairly progressive, in that they'd never done anything like it before.

Plus, I defy anyone with ears not to tap their foot to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9JE9R9ld4

:tviv: those special effects!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are there any great American prog rock bands? It just dawned on me that I can't think of any. The genre's heyday was almost entirely British. Canada has Rush. Germany and Italy have some stuff. We have progressive metal down pretty well, but besides like, Tool (who aren't really the same style), are there any notable bands to come out of the States? Just curious.

Does Mahavishnu count, or are they more jazz?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

Camel and Thinking Plague come to mind

and The Mars Volta are good too

Whaaat i always assumed Camel were British!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Put on Thick as a Brick and go take a dump.

EDIT: I should say, if you have to go take a dump. Don't force one just cause the song came on.

Hope your dump itself isn't thick as a brick.

Really though Jethro Tull is a good suggestion, you could probably play all of Stand Up.

David Bowie: You can probably skip the Berlin trilogy - they're amazing, but don't have a lot of great party material. But otherwise most of his albums are a decent mix of party-accessible stuff and... less party-friendly stuff. As you get later and later, you get into the territory of "one really great party song and a bunch of meh stuff."

Later Beatles stuff (post-lsd) would be a big hit I'm sure.

Other good suggestions were made (early Yes especially), though I'm not 100% sure what Marillion tracks are great for parties, but it's definitely pretty accessible.

Are you looking for "things people will recognize and like that fits in that vein," or are you looking for "things people won't recognize but fits in that vein and is good"? Sometimes DJing is a game of playing at people's nostalgia and playing stuff they know, and other times it's about impressing people with cool music they don't know.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mithra6 posted:

Also some early Soft Machine...

Play their 2nd album and watch everyone try to dance in 7 time

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

^^^^ this reminds me, here's a fun topic I was thinking of:
What are some of the corniest prog bands that you still can't help but like? In other words, guilty prog pleasures. Because I don't know about you, but sometimes I just get in a mood where I want to listen to the corniest prog I know.

Here do I confess some of my guilty prog pleasures, in artist - album format.
Iluvatar - Children
IQ - Ever
Eloy - lots of Eloy actually
Spocks Beard - V
ELP - do they count as a guilty pleasure? I just never want to listen to them unless I'm in a corny mood.

May think of more as the day goes on, I just thought it'd be a fun discussion topic. Feel free to make fun and/or agree with these, and please list your own.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Good stuff people, keep it coming!

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Van Der Graf Generator albums are not something to blast at work. My manager said he'd prefer gangsta rap over Hammill!

I am not guilty at all about loving Van der Graaf, I think they're legit awesome. Though I agree I wouldn't blast Van der Graaf at work, but then again I wouldn't blast a lot of prog at work.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would blast Magma at work, if blasting music in the office was something I did.

One time my friends challenged me to a "weird music off" where me and another friend each got 5 pieces to play. I won handily, and Magma was voted as "overall weirdest" because I explained how it's sung in an invented language of a distant planet that humans have gone to after disaster on earth etc etc. When I explained this and how every Magma album is this way, they were all :stare:

I think some of my other choices were something by Ligeti, an excerpt of probably Aumng or some similar weird Can piece, Lieber Hoenig (Neu!).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 20, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kanye did a terrible sample of 21st century schizoid man.

It's not that it's terribly out of place, it's just very poorly cut/executed. The weird thing is, I know the guy knows how to sample well. Why is this one so bad?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

It's deliberate.

Do you... care to elaborate?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As hilarious as it is, it's... kind of impressive that someone basically midi'd out the entirety of Schizoid.
Didn't turn out to be a worthwhile endeavour, of course, but it's still an impressive feat. Same with that 8-bit passion play, which is awesome.

fakeedit: omg 5:35 :vince:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean I'm not sure what to tell you here, it's blown out and the EQ is cut so it sits in the mix better and the drum fill is there because why not

The EQ is fine, I don't think that makes it a good or even skillful sample - the timing and tempo are horribly off from the surrounding music, among other things.

Again, I'm not saying "lol Kanye sucks," in fact I'm all the more confused that the sample is so glaringly bad considering the guy usually knows how to sample pretty well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loving love lizard.

God i am so close to pulling the trigger on tickets for Philly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Today I listened to Los Jaivas' "Alturas de Macchu Picchu," which I had never heard of before, and it ruled. Anybody else a fan?

I listened to them ages ago and really liked them, thanks for reminding me!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm looking for some music similar to Comus' First Utterance. I'm mostly seeking the dark and bizarre kind of mood they've got going. Any ideas?

Magma - mekanik destruktiv kommando maybe?

Curious to see what others suggest for this. Comus is awesome and pretty unique.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Free Cog posted:

On a slightly related note, I've come to realize that my favorite kind of prog has an intense sound, with jazz influences being a bonus. I'm thinking of stuff like Van Der Graff Generator, King Crimson's jazzier instrumental sections and Red, and Yes's Relayer, especially Sound Chaser. What bands or musicians should I be looking into to get deeper into that kind of sound?

Soft Machine and Caravan come to mind.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Annie Haslam (renaissance) is probably my top favourite vocalist of all time. Her voice is just so impossibly clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Fish Marillion is best Marillion.

Gothic angsty anti-love songs that sound like an angry Genesis on steroids? :yeshaha:

Yeah you have to be in the mood for some real hamfisted almost corny levels of angst, but sometimes I'm in that mood and really enjoy me some Misplaced Childhood