Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Finally bit the bullet and listened to A View from the Top of the World.

Dream Theater has nothing left in the tank. "Transcending Time" and "Awaken the Master" were my highlights but the album as a whole just didn't have enough musical ideas to go with its length. A big problem was a lot of intros were great but no follow-through.

Luckily I got into Haken recently and they snapped me out of that funk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

Haken has a few jaunty lil tunes, here's Cockroach King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7wwYmgQAmY

and Elephants Never Forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnHfYwuBuU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

So every now and then I run into a song I consider important, like that hidden rank above a favorite song. Devin Townsend's "Bastard" is one of those cuz it impacted my musical tastes drastically. A while back a few dives down Youtube's recommendation hole introduced me to Maiak, and while they don't always land one of their songs I'd absolutely consider an important one for me.

Maiak - I Am Not a Man, I Am a Free Number