Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010
I advise any and all progressive rock fans to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Modern prog-rock/metal from Oakland, California reminiscent of the dark epic sound of John Wetton era King Crimson with the quirkiness and multi-instrumentation of Gentle Giant. They get extremely heavy and mostly have aggressive vocals, though I am reluctant to label them as metal. If you have the opportunity to see their theatrical live show; DON'T MISS IT. Best 'show' your money will likely buy. My favorite album of theirs is 'Of Natural History' but all three of their studio albums are fantastic. The song 'The Donkey Headed Adversary of Humanity' is probably as good of a place as any to be introduced to their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksutNW3HFT8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010
Personally, I'm super stoked on the new Yes album/lineup. It's essentially the same lineup as on Drama which was a great record! Though I am curious how interesting the song "Fly From Here" will be once stretched from the 9 minute Buggles version to 20 minutes long.

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010
I just happened upon news that Ian Anderson has written and recorded a sequel to Thick As A Brick which is to be released April 2nd of this year! Apparently it is technically a solo effort, which means no Martin Barre, and that fact has me skeptical but I can't help but be intrigued. The brief samples in the promo video linked below definitely sound to be in the spirit of the original so I can't help but be a little bit excited.

Thick As A Brick 2 Promo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jZMCBEsZM

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010
I had no idea Steven Wilson was involved but I feel like his involvement should be a good thing, especially from that interview excerpt. I'll definitely be giving it a fair shot and listening to it with an open mind.

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Dog Years is badass. Best song on T4E. Maybe the best drum chart Neil's written.

I can't stand T4E beyond the title track, Driven, and Limbo. Vapor Trails is fantastic. A tie for worst Rush record in my mind is Presto... beyond "The Pass" "Available Light" "Red Tide" and "Show Don't Tell" it seems to showcase weak songwriting without the usually sick playing and has thin production.

Then again I used to loathe Power Windows and now it's my single favorite album of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010

david puddy posted:

I am currently working through buying King Crimson's catalogue, so far I have got In The Court Of The Crimson King, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues In Aspic and Starless And Bible Black. I love them all except Islands (which I still enjoy, just not as much) and I am planning to get Red when I can find a copy. I want to know if it's worth spending money on anything post-hiatus, I have heard good things about Discipline but I am not as willing to go and just buy them on sight like I have with this first era's albums. Are they just as good? Better? Anything I should skip? etc

The guy who posted above me more or less shares the same feelings I do. Just go buy Discipline, Thrak, and The Power to Believe. Those albums are fantastic... the others have their moments but do not suck by any means.