Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n_w_f
Mar 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The idea of listening to Magma has interested me, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions?

Of the albums I've heard, this one's the most accessible. Apart from the side long "De Futura", the other five explore vibrant and distinct musical themes that don't ever feel repetitive or meandering (The title track, for example, has an almost latin feel to it while retaining all the character of a typical Magma piece), a tendency that can sometimes bring down some of their other music for me. The bass tones on this album are unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n_w_f
Mar 31, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

If you like Udu Wudu, you should check out Attahk,
Merci, their last studio album before they disbanded in the '80s, is full-blown disco at points, but it's really fun and catchy, and there are some beautiful pieces that rank among their best material, like The Night We Died.

Heard and own Attahk and have become a big fan of the album, which is apparently a conceptual work. I like that the second and sixth songs share the same piano chord progressions, little continuous choices like that one are always great to hear. I will definitely check out the other album you mentioned. It can't be any more of a departure than later day Can and the way you describe it sounds interesting enough.