Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
My favorite prog bands fall within the Canterbury Scene.

I'm going to tell you to promptly look into getting into Caravan. They're by far my favorite of all the groups just based on If I Could Do it All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You.

One of the most perfect albums I've ever listened to.

If you need something zanier, listen to Gong... particularly, Camembert Electrique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I think Camembert Electrique is better than the albums in the Radio Gnome Trilogy. It's a wild, fun LP that never slows down and "You Can't Kill Me" might be my favorite song of all time. It's also a lot more cohesive than their other stuff IMO.

Gong rules. Caravan rules. Also be sure to listen to Kevin Ayers' Joy of a Toy... though I guess that's not necessarily prog so much as it's Syd Barrett-esque pop whimsy.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 1, 2010

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I repped that Caravan album a few posts up. loving perfect IMO.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I'd put In The Land of Grey and Pink up there with it just for "Nine Feet Underground," (It is over 20 minutes long, so it really kind of does make the LP worth the price of admission; the short tracks are great as well) but If I Could... genuinely sounds perfect front to back. The "For Richard" suite is EPIC and "And I Wish I Were Stoned" is just beyond words.

Also big fan of Waterloo Lily, though apparently it's not as popular. The title track is one of my favs. in their catalog. Oh, and "Songs and Signs." That little song is ingenious. I love the medieval-sounding harmonizing vocals.